StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

16 minutes ago, Tihiy said:

Explorer broken when launched through third party apps is 22H2 bug fixed with latest updates afaik.

Already had latest according to the website. 3.5.2. Tried reinstalling, no change.

Is there a secret test build or something?

1 hour ago, Tihiy said:

Explorer broken when launched through third party apps is 22H2 bug fixed with latest updates afaik.

Figured it out.

First off: I'm an advanced user - i always run with UAC hard disabled, and many other non-safe bad security convience tweaks average users shouldn't do. But yea i'm a veteran in IT so enjoy breaking/fixing this stuff.

Anyways here's what's happening:

Win11 has a weird/bad new results when you disable UAC as you can no longer can't fully disable it (well hopefully we can, just not sure how yet). Instead with never notify on and enableLUA, on an user account with admin privileges.. Somethings just silently fail , others manager to elevate, others manage to elevate properly. The ones that fail i need to tick the advanced or compatibility option to always run at admin. Process hackek in particular here, as it can't kill a lot of stuff without it. In it's case - and regular task manager as its launched from it, it's actually running fully as if it's logged in as administrator, not just an elevated users.

What his means is, it's pulling all it's HKCU reg keys from that account, and startallback seems to just emulate this keys effects (without actually setting it):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32

But only for the current user, so when you launch certain apps which need to run as administrator (process hacker, void tools everything - without service mode, or even windows regular task manager if you need to kill some semi protecte process) - it will launch explorer as admin, and thus not have startallbacks registry hacks/settings. (The default shows the command bar, thus why it's showing, and why the new context menu is appearing)

So I un-disabled the administrator account, set up startallback same as I like on my regular account, and added said key, and then logged out and back to my account. And yep all working as expected now.

Hopefully there is some system wide way to hard disable that menu in a different way. Else i guess to fix this for the average used you'd have to have the installer hack the admins account HKCU reg hive to apply this tweak.

This app is amazing! However I am experiencing a weird issue, where it is forcing the taskbar on the monitor marked as main to display in double height for some reason (any other attached monitors are normal, unless they are set to main.) 

I assumed it was a Windows problem, but none of the solutions for that worked for me and the taskbar behaves as normal if I disable the 'use enhanced classic taskbar' option. I have tried fixing it by reinstalling and restarting but no luck sadly. 

I keep my pc on through the night, no sleep mode, and I'm having an issue where when I come back to the pc the next day, Windows ignores the start menu as a margin, like, they cover it up if I maximize them. not app-specific. restarting explorer.exe fixes it. I'm going to disable startallback, and see if it happens again tonight

Wondering if this is just me, and if not, if there's a way to correct it. The time but not the date is showing directly on the taskbar (unless you hover over that area) when it used to show both.

SaB: current

W11: 22621.608 (it's possible that it started with this version, since this issue is fairly recent, but I'm not sure).

hKdVaJJ.png

8 minutes ago, rseiler said:

Wondering if this is just me, and if not, if there's a way to correct it. The time but not the date is showing directly on the taskbar (unless you hover over that area) when it used to show both.

SaB: current

W11: 22621.608 (it's possible that it started with this version, since this issue is fairly recent, but I'm not sure).

hKdVaJJ.png

If "Use small taskbar buttons" is checked in the taskbar properties, no date is displayed, only the time.

If this checkmark is removed, the date is displayed in the taskbar.

6 hours ago, Kleine Eule 73 said:

If "Use small taskbar buttons" is checked in the taskbar properties, no date is displayed, only the time.

If this checkmark is removed, the date is displayed in the taskbar.

You mean this setting? It doesn't seem to exist in the UI any longer, and it's not one that I've changed in recent memory in any case.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/25233-use-large-small-taskbar-buttons-windows-10-a.html

But I checked TaskbarSmallIcons: it's on 0.

Update: After playing around trying to figure this out from the perspective of another install (also with a vertical toolbar, which I think is key to seeing this problem), I found that if I unlocked the taskbar and made it slightly wider than it had been that the date then appeared. I'm not exactly sure if something in this area changed with 22621.608, but instead of leaving it wider I put it back to its normal width and went into calendar settings in Control Panel to set "Short date" to "M/d/yy" from "M/d/yyyy." That takes up much less room so it fits fine now.

Edited by rseiler

10 hours ago, rseiler said:

You mean this setting? It doesn't seem to exist in the UI any longer, and it's not one that I've changed in recent memory in any case.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/25233-use-large-small-taskbar-buttons-windows-10-a.html

But I checked TaskbarSmallIcons: it's on 0.

Update: After playing around trying to figure this out from the perspective of another install (also with a vertical toolbar, which I think is key to seeing this problem), I found that if I unlocked the taskbar and made it slightly wider than it had been that the date then appeared. I'm not exactly sure if something in this area changed with 22621.608, but instead of leaving it wider I put it back to its normal width and went into calendar settings in Control Panel to set "Short date" to "M/d/yy" from "M/d/yyyy." That takes up much less room so it fits fine now.

Sorry for the late reply but I live in Germany.
Well that's great if you found something that works for you :-) I use the Windows Insider version 25217.1010. Had the last versions no problems with SAB.
Otherwise I could still suggest to them :
Just use the Windows search bar and search for Set regional format to get to the app settings. Once here, click on Additional Date, Time and Country Settings in the upper right corner. Now click on Change date, time or number format under Region.

I love this application, I remember using SIB on Windows 8.1 many years ago and am loving SAB on Windows 11 so much that I wish I continued using SIB++ on Windows 10 all of these years. Props to Tihiy for making such a great tool that a company with a team of people (Stardock) can't even come close to! Anyway I noticed a small issue on 21H2 with tabs enabled with Vivetool. When I have Mica Effect enabled in Explorer Settings an am either using the Win 10 or Win 7 layout and the explorer window is full screen the top is slightly cut off. With the Mica Effect disabled this issue goes away.

Mica on:

image.thumb.png.75c9c9991052f56d4a6c2b9aa770ab87.png

Mica off:

image.thumb.png.ffe20ee156cf925285e7b67472346e51.png

This happens regardless of how many tabs are open or whether the taskbar is on top of the bottom (I use it on top). It seems to be a little graphical bug caused by the Mica effect being enabled along with tabs. What is also of note is that using the Win 11 command bar there is no issue with Mica on.

On 10/2/2022 at 12:47 PM, Prtoy said:

Is it possible to implement a fix for this problem in 22H2 to StartAllBack? I mean weird left margins in Explorer in the "List" view...

image.png.d00a8e3415056f906fdee825ca68aadb.png

As another person who just got force-fed 22H2, I second this motion - or actually, third.  (It looks to me like they left room for the "Checkboxes" option, but forgot to check whether the user actually wants checkboxes.)