[SOLVED] Dual-booting Windows 7 and Windows Vista on UEFI Ivy Bridge with 7 installed first.

Jakob99

13 hours ago, SIW2 said:

"but could not get it to mark the drive as active, like you said to do"

At cmd prompt:

diskpart

sel vol v  ( replace v with the letter of your usb stick fat32 partition )

act

exi

mark-active1.thumb.jpg.82bf41d930f7423d1d14c0ba8c935023.jpg

Then close diskmgmt and open it again to see the change

mark-active2.jpg.be975b880ff5f55cf5bcac84fc1ef684.jpg

And one more question. Do I need to convert the USB stick to be in the GPT partition style. I'd take it, since I am to boot it in UEFI mode, that it would have to be, but just want to make sure.

I have not tried the regular install.wim. The ISO that I am using has all the Vista updates from 2007-2017, which is what I use for Extended Kernel. It also has custom generic USB3 drivers within it as well

Edited by Jakob99

2 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

And one more question. Do I need to convert the USB stick to be in the GPT partition style. I'd take it, since I am to boot it in UEFI mode, that it would have to be, but just want to make sure.

I have not tried the regular install.wim. The ISO that I am using has all the Vista updates from 2007-2017, which is what I use for Extended Kernel. It also has custom generic USB3 drivers within it as well

You can get the updates with dism++ later.

Either the problem is your installation media, or there is something about your mobo/bios which is different from the normal lga1155 mobos from gigabyte  etc. .

The way to find out is to install vanilla vista with sp2

25 minutes ago, SIW2 said:

You can get the updates with dism++ later.

Either the problem is your installation media, or there is something about your mobo/bios which is different from the normal lga1155 mobos from gigabyte  etc. .

The way to find out is to install vanilla vista with sp2

Cool! I have to be doing something wrong. When I boot into the BIOS settings, the UEFI boot options does not show the USB drive. When I hit F12, it shows up under Legacy mode, but not UEFI. When I select it under Legacy mode, it loads up just fine and it sees everything, but when I attempt to chose the partition, it tells me it can't install to it as it is in GPT format. I did everything you told me to do:

The simplest way is format the usb stick fat32 using disk management.

Mark the fat32 partition active.

Extract the contents of win7 installation iso onto the usb stick.

Rename windows 7 install.wim to something like install7.wim - or delete it.

Copy the vista install.wim into the sources folder on the usb stick .

Yet, I am unable to boot the USB in efi mode. Here's photos of the BIOS and WinPE: https://imgur.com/gallery/gig72vV Not sure what else to do as even a vanilla SP2 Vista image would not work since this appears to be a problem of it not being able to boot/device the drive in efi mode.

1 hour ago, SIW2 said:

Are you using the vista bootx64.efi or did you replace it with win7 one?

Is it supposed to go into F:\efi\boot, and should I be using Windows 7's bootx64.efi? When I make the drive, that folder is not there. Am I supposed to make that folder myself? If so, what part of the ISO am I supposed to pull the bootx64.efi file out? Some tutorials for Windows 7 UEFI have you take bootmgfw.efi and rename that to bootx64.efi. If so, which wim should I take it out of? Install.wim or boot.wim?

Alright, an update here. I copied Windows 7's bootmgfw.efi from boot.wim to F:\efi\boot and then renamed it to bootx64.efi. I loaded up the flashdrive under UEFI on a Haswell based Dell (this is the only other system I have that has UEFI and USB 2 ports), and it loaded up just fine. I was able to select the partition and part 1 of setup completed just fine. Upon restart, it tells me Windows Installation cannot complete. This could be a symptom related to Haswell. Gonna pop it in to the Ivy Bridge laptop and see if it completes all the way through.

EDIT: I tried it on the Ivy Bridge and I was greeted with the 0x01E BSOD upon restart after the 1st phase of setup. Is this possibly due to me having Windows 7 installed 1st?

Edited by Jakob99

11 minutes ago, SIW2 said:

I dont think it is because of win7. I have dual booted both os before.

That's what I was thinking too. Is there any way to install Windows Vista manually onto a GPT/UEFI partition,

From within windows 7 you could use winntsetup to apply the vista image to another partition. If you use the apply method, Vista will have the os letter D rather than the customary C, ( unless it had been previously sysprepped ).

I had a look at the driverpack for that model,they have them for win7 and for xp, but I didnt see any for vista though some of them also support vista, for example the irst drivers in the win7 pack are 11.2.0.1006 https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-uk/000122075/latitude-e6530-windows-7-driver-cab

which are listed here as supporting vista https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/16292/

Edited by SIW2

• Jakob99 changed the title to [SOLVED] Dual-booting Windows 7 and Windows Vista on UEFI Ivy Bridge with 7 installed first.
14 hours ago, SIW2 said:

From within windows 7 you could use winntsetup to apply the vista image to another partition. If you use the apply method, Vista will have the os letter D rather than the customary C, ( unless it had been previously sysprepped ).

I had a look at the driverpack for that model,they have them for win7 and for xp, but I didnt see any for vista though some of them also support vista, for example the irst drivers in the win7 pack are 11.2.0.1006 https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-uk/000122075/latitude-e6530-windows-7-driver-cab

which are listed here as supporting vista https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/16292/

I solved this issue. You can get Windows Vista working under UEFI (on devices that support Windows 8 and later such as Sandy/Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake, etc) using UEFI7. Just replace the Windows 7 ISO with the Windows Vista updated to 2017 eol ISO (if you are using that ISO). Details on how to do this can be found here: https://vinaypundith.github.io/windows_7_efi_guide/

That is interesting. Presumably there is a limitation on those proprietary oem mobo bios from Dell and possibly others.

I didnt use UEFI7 for vista to run in efi mode on gigabyte b75m ds3h ( lga1555 ivybridge) or on  gigabyte b365m ds3h ( lga1151 coffeelake)

I copied the boot critical files from the hd that was on the b75 to the esp partition on the b365.

I have just looked at them and they are the windows 11 files. I had tested win11 out on the b75 which explains that.

Edited by SIW2

4 hours ago, SIW2 said:

That is interesting. Presumably there is a limitation on those proprietary oem mobo bios from Dell and possibly others.

I didnt use UEFI7 for vista to run in efi mode on gigabyte b75m ds3h ( lga1555 ivybridge) or on  gigabyte b365m ds3h ( lga1151 coffeelake)

I copied the boot critical files from the hd that was on the b75 to the esp partition on the b365.

I have just looked at them and they are the windows 11 files. I had tested win11 out on the b75 which explains that.

Maybe. But for future reference and for ease of use, I recommend UEFI7. I'm currently using it again to setup Windows 7 as part of a dual-boot.