MSN Messenger 6.2 Released

iwod

OH god......... Although after playing around and reading a bit. MSN Messanger 6.2 doesn't seems to offer any "new" features. However it does uses less resources which is a good point.

But this release also add options that are ticked by default for MSN toolbar.

How would i untick them in a slient install?

MSN Messenger 6.2

Feature list:

• Launch Site renamed "Fun & Games"
  • Shared Browsing Enabled for MSN Subscribers
  • MSN Messenger "Connection Troubleshooter" (automatically solve many network connectivity problems)
  • Minor : 'Real time' emoticon displaying when typing messages (e.g. : ) -> :) whilst you type)
  • Minor : Ability to hide the standard buttons at the top of the messenger window, ala MS Messenger
  • Minor : Mobile grouping on the main pane; for mobile contacts they are grouped asides from normal contactsp

As you can see, Micrsoft dissapointed everyone (well, me anyway) by not including animated display pictures like they said and making as wait so long for nothing virtually. That realtime emoticon thing is more annoying than it sounds (it stuffs up with some of the other emoticons and such).

I ended up downgrading to 6.1 again.

MSN Messenger 6.2 was released yesterday (April 22).

To get back on topic, does anyone know how to install the MSN Toolbar component of MSN Messenger 6.2 silently? There must be some way (that doesn't involve sending keystrokes naturally)...

Well...its a bit complicated.

The part that installs the MSN Toolbar, sets the homepage, etc

is a custom action that is not called until you click on the finish button.

(they are actually actions called when the button is pressed!)

So unattended installs will be more difficult.

It should be possible to move the custom actions out of the finish button and back into the main sequence of events, and then you could call them by setting the appropriate public properties...but I don't have time right now to do it.

Also another thing to note about this MSI, is there is no Admin install....AT ALL!

those tables are empty in the MSI.

I have found switches for the MSN Toolbar setup that let you install and uninstall...

but the install is not completely silent, it installs silently, but then it launches IE to the "Get Started" page upon completion, just like normal.

If there is intrest, I will add the switches to the Application Switches thread.

Added the switches to the Application Switches thread.

Also, modifying the MSN Messenger 6.2 MSI and moving the custom actions out of the "Finish" button, etc. But I will be out of town all weekend, so won't have anything till Monday.

since application swicthes is only for contributions and not problems, Im posting this here...For the life of me, I cant get MSN Toolbar to install silently in runonceex...I use mstb.exe j and it always comes back with "failed". Does it need iexplore closed to install? I dont think so since it doesnt need that on my machine...Maybe its because of hotfixes and whatnot...dunno may do some more testin...I wonder if this can be added to say svcpack.inf...may try that also. Seems that it can be, obviously im not 100% sure since it isnt working in runonceex.cmd, but I will test it out...Also, I would just use the downloaded file "MSNToolbarSetup_en-us.exe" and how I do this is "MSNToolbarSetup_en-us.exe /C:"mtbs.exe j" /q:a" it still start iexplore, but maybe it wont in svcpack.inf...will test soon.

hey i though msn was supposed to bring up a message saying they've a newer version right?

heh i had told them to put an option to show groups when not showing the offline users. they said it would be on the next version :):rolleyes:

Edited by XtremeMaC

wow games with messengers, wow i miss that, i'm sure they put a lot of effort into that,

daaa!

i see the install of msn toolbar except that i don't see much :)

how about "enable rename of the contact", ppl change their nicknames quite often!