Are there any usb sim card modems that support Windows 98?

ErMest

Do you have a newer computer ready to set up the router on the web interface? Or is it just about connecting the old Windows 98 machine with a LAN cable to the router? That will work, LAN cables are old stuff, but maybe the web interface is too complex to configure everything with Windows 98.

Does it have to be a little USB stick or would you be fine with a router which has a SIM card slot?

Also consider that the 3G network will be shut off in some years if they haven't been already. Here in Germany, you would fall back to 2G (EDGE), which is just very slow. If you would head for old hardware, it should support 4G. Some countries have shut off 2G too, so that has to be checked for your region.

Are you planning use it on laptop or desktop? If answer is laptop I know one model that will work under Windows 98SE. I have not found driver yet, but it listed Windows 98SE as offically supported. I got one of them and model is Sony Ericson GC85 Edge card. It is triple band so as long as Poland (if flag is right) got 900 or 1800 or 1900mhz band for GSM it will work just fine. Another on go soluction is depending your wireless handheld telephone device (phone in short) is to use it as modem. Atleast older Siemens and Nokia phones until around 2004 or so had offical modem drivers for Windows 98SE.  Depending model can use either IR, bluetooth (if got 9x compatible bt card) or data cable. They can generally achieve 43-100kbp/s speed which is not fastest, but fine for me on a road.

On 10/4/2021 at 3:42 PM, Gansangriff said:

Also consider that the 3G network will be shut off in some years if they haven't been already. Here in Germany, you would fall back to 2G (EDGE), which is just very slow.

Here operator killed older UTMS bands and in two years rest of UTMS bands are closed. Next goes 2g I guess and that point Finland which used to country highly developed in mobile technology will roll back to era where most had no phones. That point I may redirect all of my calls to answer machine that says.

"Unfortunately person you tried to reach cannot use his phone because operator shut down GSM band and does not offer him landline. If you want contact owner of the number, please first call to operator number and tell them how stupid decision was to kill essential services."

Also edge/gprs speed is not that slow depending how you tweak your software. I use email over IMAP with offline folders, use WTTR.IN to check weather, block js by default. On road edge/gprs works just fine. Back in day before web turned to bloat 100kb/s was luxury I did not have

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000