Internet Archive Wayforward machine

Was messing around in Internet archive and found this https://wayforward.archive.org/. First I expected it to be one of those "how technology will make my life so much better in 25 years", but it was not that. It was very well made dystopian image from internet on future. Just enter any site there and watch what will happen.

Internet has gone from decentralised information network to more centralised (few giants left) and recisted place, making preservation and many other things too hard. I am happy that Internet Archive took their opinion on this, because lot of peoples are not aware those issues.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

8 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Looks like nothing but Section 230 propaganda to me.

Well many wont understand importance of freedom or law before it has been taken away and is too late to do anything. Many said Patriot act was good back when came and said critics do not want safety, but after Snowden revealed surveillance of normal citizen and lot were upset, but that point was too late to do anything, stopping it was no longer easy. Same can happen if Section 230 is banned. When peoples realise consuquences it is too late.

This is not about whatever something I do is morally ok if things I write are true, rather about not allowing single entity decide those. Something totally ok and true today may not be it tomorrow even if it is ok morally and is real truth.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:19 PM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Patriot act

Do you mind me asking what is your citizenship ? 

On 10/1/2021 at 5:19 PM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Snowden

And where does this "freedom fighter" live now ?

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

And where does this "freedom fighter" live now ?

My point was not if Patriotic act was bad or if Snowden did right or where I live. My point was many may not understand consuquences of something before it is too late, since do not do proper research. That was just first thing that came to my mind. And knew from resistance against it trough news and some articles when was made.

Well, a personal archive of the very interesting things of the internet circumvents the possibility of removal... I can't keep everything, my "big brain" hard drive only has 120 GB, but if you have at least some interesting files stored, everyone can throw them onto a big heap and that's the old internet! Well, part of that at least.

Maybe, some day, the computer freaks have to set up their own wireless router, participating in the local city mesh network. But that will be called "illegal" then, so routers will be hunt down by drones searching for "unauthorised" electromagnetic waves...

What's left will lack the transfer speed, if the "offical infrastructure" of wires can't be used. The skill of optimising file sizes will be important. The only online game will be Nethack. The underground video portals will transmit their movies as 5-second GIF, no previews, only direct download. IRC should be doable...

2 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Well, a personal archive of the very interesting things of the internet circumvents the possibility of removal... I can't keep everything, my "big brain" hard drive only has 120 GB, but if you have at least some interesting files stored, everyone can throw them onto a big heap and that's the old internet! Well, part of that at least.

I have few 2tb and one 4tb and 1tb external drives for data storing and bunch of dvd and cd drives. Some things needs to be kept safe and preserved to the future. What I still need is offsite backups. I only storage I can hold on hand. Cloud is not soluction to me and cannot trust internet to always have files I need

2 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

What's left will lack the transfer speed, if the "offical infrastructure" of wires can't be used. The skill of optimising file sizes will be important. The only online game will be Nethack. The underground video portals will transmit their movies as 5-second GIF, no previews, only direct download. IRC should be doable...

that point my low res crt and old win98 pc will be superior:D

14 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

Why is it being pushed to be banned or changed? I do not know very much about it.

Probably because it is easier to punish a single corporate entity rather than many people from around the world*.

Section 230 as far as in the USA goes means that the host (publisher) is not responsible for the content on their site and that the individuals who are posting it are. So if someone were to put a threat onto Facebook, then Facebook is not in trouble legally and the person who posted it is instead.

* Marking this because the way things regarding internet content is covered in the US by the media or referenced by politicians is that all content on US based websites is created by people in the US, and international users are discounted, ignored or misrepresented. People from around the world use the internet, even on English speaking websites, as can be evidenced in many places not just here. But the news, rules and policies/laws are written as if those people do not exist.