360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

I second that!
With the greatest respect to the herculean ongoing efforts of roytam1, it's the 360Chrome browser which has given a new lease of life to browsing on XP in my experience.
I say that as a dyed in the wool Firefox aficionado for many years (and Opera 12 before that).
I'd never had any wish to use a Chromium browser, but once my old faithful Firefox 52.9 ESR started malfunctioning on more and more sites, I had to bite the bullet, and I've never regretted it.
None of it would have been possible without the efforts of ArcticFoxie and Humming Owl, I salute them both!
:yes:

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

I'm so grateful that with my limited knowledge to be included in this project. You do deserve credit and gratitude for sharing your effort with us and I trust your judgment. 

I third that, my friend!

16 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Guys, what version are you currently re-butchering ? I don't mind to test 13.5.1030. But no lower. tnx.

The v13.5.2022 build from here. From what I saw, there's a fix for "Dev Tools being Chinese if 360Chrome launched in Incognito mode".

Edited by mina7601

In Python, I can extract the entire resources.pak file and all of the brotli-compressed files extract in the process.

But for comparison's sake, I would rather brotli decompress ONE FILE AT A TIME.  ie, use "chrome-pak-customizer" to unpack resources.pak but only use Python to brotli decompress ONE FILE AT A TIME from what "chrome-pak-customizer" extracted.

Any suggestions?

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

For anyone that may be interested, here are the 249 files that were originally Brotli-compressed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nunqk0fcv7m4efi/brotli%20decompressed%20249%20files.7z?dl=1

Unless I have my wires crossed, this collection seems to contain a few files that aren't compressed with Brotli and miss a few that are. Try running python file_types_in_pak.py from https://pastebin.com/7kU3wMHi in the folder you unpacked to with pak_util.py with the --raw option, you should get a slightly different set. (Caution: the script will rename the files with extensions added according to type.)

For working with individual files:

brotli_decompress_for_pak.py : https://pastebin.com/fNyi1UdK
brotli_compress_for_pak.py : https://pastebin.com/Z2YmGPFP

I'm curious why you need to decompress one at a time to compare, though.  Since pak_util.py can also extract --raw, I don't really see the need for that other extractor at all. The reason being that I prefer to use the same toolset that is used to build the product. YMMV.

Edited by mixit

On 11/23/2022 at 1:25 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Please give me more credit than that!  This was technically a project "for me to use" but there was an online need for it so I shared HOW to START the process.

It was "over everybody's head" at the time and so I shared my own work.  Or others just didn't want to spend the time because they knew how much time it was going to take.

You're one of the biggest (if not the biggest!) pillars of our internet happiness since ever!

5 hours ago, mixit said:

Unless I have my wires crossed, this collection seems to contain a few files that aren't compressed with Brotli and miss a few that are.

I'm curious why you need to decompress one at a time to compare, though.  Since pak_util.py can also extract --raw, I don't really see the need for that other extractor at all.

Because of the collection not matching!  I personally trust the collection from "chrome-pak-customizer" over-and-above the collection from Python.  So I'm comparing just "why" the collections do not match.

These files are only the files that 7Zip could not extract from the "chrome-pak-customizer" collection.

2 hours ago, jumper said:

Thinking back to the earlier discussion about memory footprint, perhaps all packed files should be repacked using compression that will be faster and lighter to unpack at runtime.

Agreed!  I am actually in-process of that very thing.  My hopes are to prevent/decrease the address bar delay.

You may notice that when you FIRST launch 360Chrome, if you start typing in the address bar "right away", you have to start your typing over after a second or two.  I'm hoping to prevent/decrease that delay.

For me, this delay is ONLY with the very FIRST launch after a reboot or coming out of system hibernate.

Every successive launch before the next power cycle or hibernate, I have no delay in the address bar.