360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

9 minutes ago, mixit said:

Since a member here asked me for these Chinese-less Dev Tools paks privately, I think I'll also put them up here so anyone interested can test the changes until @NotHereToPlayGames releases his build with them. These are meant for his 2022 build from the end of this post.

I'm new here, but I'd be happy to test them, I have some experience with 360 Extreme Explorer.

9 minutes ago, mixit said:

I know I've been a bit more irritable than usual because of not getting good continuous sleep after somehow hurting my neck due to a bad sleeping posture a couple of nights ago, so if anyone felt that way, you can chalk it up to that, I guess...

Ouch, that's sad, I hope your neck gets well soon!

Edited by mina7601

5 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

I'm new here, but I'd be happy to test them, I have some experience with 360 Extreme Explorer.

Hope you enjoy trying them ... even for the experience. I'm enjoying AF V13.0.2170.0 and (overall) its working alright, but I miss V11 very much. 

17 minutes ago, mixit said:

...I've been a bit more irritable than usual because of not getting good continuous sleep after somehow hurting my neck due to a bad sleeping posture a couple of nights ago, so if anyone felt that way, you can chalk it up to that, I guess...

<OT>

Oh, poor sleep can take its toll on the body - I hope this improves. Try to reduce anxiety closer to your bed time.

<OT>

30 minutes ago, mixit said:

I know I've been a bit more irritable than usual because of not getting good continuous sleep after somehow hurting my neck due to a bad sleeping posture a couple of nights ago,

Try sleeping without a pillow a few nights?

2 hours ago, mixit said:

Also, it was suggested to me that I may have been too "hard" on @NotHereToPlayGames.

:buehehe:  :cheerleader:  :buehehe:

Almost ALL of the files "inside" resources.pak extract-and-edit "inside" of 7Zip.  Regular ol' 7Zip.  No command line and no "addons".  PIcs below.

It is certainly "curious" that THESE THREE files do NOT.

Please remember that this started out as a "community project" - several beta testers spanning several months.

It was not put together over a weekend Mountain Dew binge, lol.

I was here before Humming Owl (the only other 360Chrome "modder" [there has been IM "invites" for others to contribute in this fashion, deaf ears]).  And seemingly the only one still here.

So a BIG THANKS for your discovery!

And YES, I use these builds for my banking and investment accounts.

In fact, I trust them MORE than official Chrome/Chromium and even official Firefox, Pale Moon, and "Iron"  --  I do base that off of Proxomitron logs "during" banking and investment account login sessions.

But most of the time based on DNS logs (much faster than browsing through Proxomitron logs).

FIREFOX scares the living sh#t out of me!  Compare your own logs one of these days.  But I digress...

As I've often stated in the past, the only way to be "100%" 'safe-and-secure' on the internet is to live in the hills, no running water, no electricty, no phone, no internet.  But who among us wants to live that sort of life, lol?

image.thumb.png.e7260bf2d9a49a63430eb1687a73de82.png

image.thumb.png.e1f01aa48c7647069ff77fd4feaae3a8.png

image.thumb.png.09993c94756d018e1ab46bc08b43f21e.png

image.thumb.png.9c1026fca6e2e9601c3c5ff347768974.png

Thanks everyone for your compassion and suggestions. The neck feels better today than it did yesterday, so I hope it'll stop bothering me pretty soon. :)

@NotHereToPlayGames

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Almost ALL of the files "inside" resources.pak extract-and-edit "inside" of 7Zip.  Regular ol' 7Zip.  No command line and no "addons".  PIcs below.

It is certainly "curious" that THESE THREE files do NOT.

More like TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY-THREE (not shouting, aping :lol:) files with Brotli compression, that's almost 1/6 of resources.pak contents (253/1575)...

Not the odds I'd feel comfortable about (well maybe if I thought there were only "THREE" :lol:)..

Ain't no one talking about 100% safety here, nor measuring who's been around the longest or done the most (your work is much appreciated!). But if I have no idea about something, I try not to make far-reaching claims about it. So it surprises me when people do that, that's all. Is it really so difficult to just keep things on the level of "I believe it's safe enough for my own purposes (and my logging seems to support that), BUT there's this stuff in there I have no clue about, so take that into consideration."? Actually, if you'd said something like that, I (or someone else) could have told you how to open these files long ago. Or, I don't know, maybe you have mentioned it, because I haven't read everything in these 360 threads and also your, no offense, tendency to grandstand can overshadow things. In any case, this was pretty weird for me.

Edited by mixit

19 minutes ago, mixit said:

More like TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY-THREE (not shouting, aping :lol:) files with Brotli compression, that's almost 1/6 of resources.pak contents (253/1575)...

Please give me more credit than that!  This was technically a project "for me to use" but there was an online need for it so I shared HOW to START the process.

It was "over everybody's head" at the time and so I shared my own work.  Or others just didn't want to spend the time because they knew how much time it was going to take.

Only 1,394 of the 1,558 should be counted (ie, you can't count the html, js, json, and png files.  My 7zip shows 249 that do not extract.

What I did (and the new discovery does indicate more to be done, so again, thanks!) is drag and drop all 1,394 into Notepad++.

Notepad++ will "view" them whether or not they are Brotli compressed or not.

The Brotli compressed will show up as "random character strings" BUT you can still see what SOME of the files are doing even "around" those random characters.

It's been a while, but I know that I visually inspected ALL 1,451 PLUS files within resources.pak [I did nothing with the png files] (and now I have the means to view the 249 that I had to "trust", though I dislike resorting to that word choice).

I say PLUS because my resources.pak file has FEWER files (I remove an Incognito background, some deprecated APIs, etc).

And, um, one has to "draw the line somewhere".  My "system32" Windows folder has 1,633 files in it, I use XP despite not knowing what all 1,633 files "do".  My Microsoft Office 2003 folder has only 89 files, excluding sub-folders, no clue what any of them "do".

Sure, we could have used you during the beta-testing stage.

But here we are, "fighting" over whether it was done "the right way" or not.  WHY?

I'll get to those 249 files that I now have a way to investigate further.

But even without that investigation, I still feel that this project has served its purpose - "trustingly".

@NotHereToPlayGames

You may not know it, but you did use me as a beta tester, as in I used your 360ChromePortable_13.5.1030_rebuild_5_ungoogled as the basis for what I'm still using myself. And if I'd found something very dangerous in those "black-box" files, rest assured that I'd have told everyone (It's basically the Dev Tools in there). So I didn't say anything because I more or less knew what was in there and there was nothing much to say about it, but I still don't quite get why you didn't say anything if you didn't know what was in there.

I don't know why you're (apparently) taking all this as me invalidating your entire project, because I'm absolutely not doing that. It's not my goal to crucify you or anything like that, it's just that some of your claims and logic puzzle me. (Like I don't really get the point of some of the parsing in your latest post, but whatever.) There's no question about your project having been useful, why would I deny that? I in fact admire people who take on this kind of stuff because I myself tend to be too fickle to do it (especially long-term support, I get tired of interacting with users), even if I could sometimes do a better job on some of the things somebody else is doing. So I mostly just spot when I have the ability and feel the need. But in this case I learned something pretty weird in the process of doing so, and I was in a "mood", so I brought it up. No one is the villain here.

Edited by mixit

17 hours ago, mixit said:

I almost never bother with IDLE since I use another editor.

For now, it seems IDLE and Command Prompt is getting me everything I need.

I am seeing references in several tutorials for shells like IPython and Jupyter - is one of these what you use or do you have another?

12 hours ago, mixit said:

Until I familiarize myself more with Python and track these down myself, I wouldn't mind an Ungoogled version that REMOVES these two entries from the context menu.

I disable these via other means, but it would be nice to not even have the entries in the context menu.

I'm assuming these are going to be found in the 249 files I am now reviewing, I have not gotten that far yet.

image.thumb.png.faeb21530f17db93446b35d428ad63ea.png

ps - I plan on using Python "for now".  BUT if anyone finds some sort of program like 7Zip or PeaZip that can extract and recompress these files (giving them a .br extension will force brotli extract), I would be forever thankful :cheerleader:

PeaZip is "supposed to" be able to - it does not!

Or even a bat file that I could drag and drop "onto" like we can do with "chrome-pak-customizer".

image.png.c00612c7f8446b44283acb9536f33e53.png

6 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Did you try the tool from my nVidia drivers tutorial ? It's cool and could even extract nVidia drivers .

Not sure I've seen that - do you have a link?  Found it.

I have Universal Extractor and no luck with it (but I should probably revisit with a .br or .tar extension and see if that gets somewhere).

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames