360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

If I enter a URL in the address line, the input is delayed.
Deleting with backspace is also delayed.

It seems that data is transmitted for search suggestions.
Suggestions are not displayed (I don't need it either).

Can someone confirm this?
Is there a solution for this?

Fonts always looks the same here in any Chromium browser on XP regardless of OS settings. OS settings only have influence on Firefox browsers when set to use cairo instead of skia for content rendering.

21 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Fonts always looks the same here in any Chromium browser on XP regardless of OS settings. OS settings only have influence on Firefox browsers when set to use cairo instead of skia for content rendering.

Did you change the setting of edge smoothing? Restart the browser.

Admittedly, I mostly compared the look with different ClearType parameters, so didn't try any other smoothing setting there or turned it off, because then everything generally looks much worse to my eyes. Now I notice subtle difference between different ClearType settings (have to compare screenshots...). With Firefox's cairo, the difference seems more apparent.

Either way, can't say much about it, Firefox uses Skia or Cairo or D2D (latter only on later OS), Chrome uses Skia and there are probably differences due to how it's used, they could use different versions of the library etc.

The site you mentioned, I get less edgy appearance with Skia on Firefox, regardless whether the checkbox is enabled with Standard selected on the dropdown menu while on 360Chrome, it's only less edgy with the checkbox enabled. I did restart browsers this time for the settings to apply.

6 hours ago, rereser said:

how to copy 360chrome v13 folder to another pc while retaining bookmarks , passwords , extensions , settings and cookies.
supposedly only required for chrome xp engine 80 and above so should not be needed to do for v11 and v12.

for this to work you need to change the following settings in explorer.
tools / folder options / view :
check / Display the contents of system folders.
check / Show hidden files and folders.
uncheck / Hide protected operating system files.

download newsid 4.1 zip from here : https://newsid.softag.com/

to find the current user sid , download pstools : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pstools
run this cmd in the folder where PsGetsid.exe is : psgetsid %username%
this will provide the current active user sid.

another method , for if only one user account is used , on the host pc in regedit go to :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

where the number ending with 500 is the admin account. (leave that)
copy the other (current user) sid (edit/copy) from the host pc ending with 1003 to a text file and save the file.
close regedit.

run newsid 4.1 on the second pc (not the host pc) and paste the above sid from the text file in the bottom field.
click start and let the pc reboot when done. (close running applications if possible before running newsid)
make a full system backup first if you can. (not system restore)

copy the 360chrome folder from host pc to the other one and run and close 360chrome twice from there.
now delete the 360 folder.

after doing so now there are two C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect\S-1-5-21 folders.
delete all files in the new Microsoft\Protect\S-1-5-21-xxxxxx folder matching the new user sid. (should be two)

copy all files from the Microsoft\Protect\S-1-5-21-xxxxxx folder not matching the new sid from the txt file to the S-1-5-21-xxxxxx folder matching the new user sid.
delete the old S-1-5-21 folder.

copy the 360chrome folder again from the host pc to the other. (do not use previous copied one)
start the loader and all will be there now.

tested on single user winxp - sp3 pc's with 360ChromePortable_13.5.1030_rebuild_6.
did not test with multiple user accounts sid's.
i wanted to have a backup option for the configured 360chrome folder on another pc.
also make chrome more "portable" between my 5 xp pc's.
proceed at your own risk as always ...

That looks really complicated!
I have copied my 360Chrome 13.5 to another machine, but as it's a portable installation the profile is contained in the same folder as the program files, which avoids the main complication.
I have found that if I do that the remembered passwords no longer work though.
Is this because the encryption of the password store is tied to a particular machine and can't be moved without it stopping working?
That would make sense, as it would be a big security risk if that were not the case.
:dubbio:

It's tied to user account's SID. Guess what happens if you make a new account or reinstall Windows without having noted your old account's SID.

Ungoogled Chromium has command line switches to disable this feature.

Edited by UCyborg

https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-windows/issues/36

--disable-encryption and --disable-machine-id

these command line switches do not work for me on 360ChromePortable_13.5.1030_rebuild_6_ungoogled.
adding one or both to the 360loader.ini still results in missing passwords and cookies on 360 folder copy to another pc.

Edited by rereser

Of course, I don't expect Chinese actually added this to their own fork. Plus, the parameters probably have to be used from the very beginning, before the user profile is created for the first time. I haven't tested, but seems logical.

That's a shame, as it means that the browser isn't completely portable.
You can't just use it from a memory stick in different machines for instance and still have all your passwords remembered.
:no:

40 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

That's a shame, as it means that the browser isn't completely portable.
You can't just use it from a memory stick in different machines for instance and still have all your passwords remembered.
:no:

I would never store any passwords in a browser of Russian or Chinese origin. :no: Therefore 360Chrome is fully portable for me! :buehehe:

10 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

LOL, I thought someone would immediately say that!
I thought it would be ArcticFoxie himself, I'm sure he's of the same opinion!
:D

I do think so too but last not least it's a question of confidence, of course! I usually store passwords in Keepass and use an addon to access them. All passwords in one place. For me simply great. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper

I have hundreds of spreadsheets lying around and cannot find the needle in the haystack at the moment, but I run several hundreds of benchmarks on each and every build and then use the best performing build as my base.

I do not use the "latest and greatest" by version number because all the Chinese folks did was add telemetry methods to newer builds - who cares when our end result is to remove that telemetry?

I will not be updating my v11 build 2031 to build 2251.  There is no "advantage" to the higher build number when we are focused on a lightweight browser with no telemetry.

Build 2031 performed faster and more efficiently than builds 2000, 2052, 2140, and 2251.

The core engine was newer than builds 1027, 1077, 1100, 1216, 1262, 1311, 1393, and 1414.

As for Humming Owl's differences - you really have to run it yourself and decide for yourself.

I personally *hate* running it because it keeps entries in my Windows Registry and because they throw "nag screens" that you have to hit ESC to unlock the browser.

Some folks prefer Humming Owl's versions, some folks prefer mine.  No skin off either one of our backs if you opt for the opposite.

38 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I would never store any passwords in a browser of Russian or Chinese origin.

I personally never store passwords in browsers of even ENGLISH origin!

I view "browser-stored" passwords as an invitation for hackers and cybercriminals and what we used to call "script kiddies".