360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

2 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Do you guys feel lthere would any benifit to enable the following chrome flags?

Automatic tab discarding
If enabled, tabs get automatically discarded from memory when the system memory is low. Discarded tabs are still visible on the tab strip and get reloaded when clicked on. Info about discarded tabs can be found at chrome://discards. – Mac, Windows

#automatic-tab-discarding

I tried this one and was unable to witness any "automatic discarding".

I could discard MANUALLY from the chrome://discards page, but could not force any "automatic discard".

I kept loading new YouTube tabs and watching my memory monitor in my systray.

As soon as the memory monitor hit 90%, XP threw up its yellow systray icon indicating low memory but 360Chrome did not discard anything but nor would it load more tabs.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Hi @NotHereToPlayGames, I did some further tests. In my old system only 360Chrome version 11 is the only one I should use. Starting with launch parameter --process-per-site, an empty tab and four installed extensions I got a RAM usage of 260 MB. That's fine. I'll try to open tabs as less as possible i.e. not more than 3 tabs. Under these conditions the overall performance is definitely okay for me. Thanks again for your tests and information!

Cheers! AstroSkipper :)

Thank you. 

Just thinking as you guys were mentioning memory and 360 chrome and the versions compared. 

The most I will have open is 3 tabs - sometimes YT playing while on the forum and reading. The more tabs I have open impacts the video in other tabs, in fact, if I minimize the browser (even on V13) the audio doesn't skip, so that is one way if I need to use 13 to make it work for me. 

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hi @NotHereToPlayGames, I did some further tests. In my old system only 360Chrome version 11 is the only one I should use. Starting with launch parameter --process-per-site, an empty tab and four installed extensions I got a RAM usage of 260 MB. That's fine. I'll try to open tabs as less as possible i.e. not more than 3 tabs. Under these conditions the overall performance is definitely okay for me. Thanks again for your tests and information!

Cheers! AstroSkipper :)

Wow ... we just posted at exactly the same time and we agree. V11 is the best for my situation, as well. 

6 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Wow ... we just posted at exactly the same time and we agree. V11 is the best for my situation, as well. 

That's right. I am a bit old school and I love my old computer. RAM can't be extended anymore and therefore I prefer browsers with less RAM consumption. V11 is the best choice for me too.

Edited by AstroSkipper

Same here.  I have nine computers and only two of them have LESS than 4 MB RAM.  But I still use v11 even on computers with 8 and 16 MB RAM.

v11 is by far the "lightest" and the startup time after a reboot or coming out of hibernate is right around 3 seconds whereas v12 and higher is around 6 seconds.

My time is too important "to me" to wait that extra 3 seconds, lol.

I get it that folks need "newer" for SOME web sites - I do also (my water bill).

But I can do 99% of everything I need on v11.

image.png.78333f8a9ca0a5b308cb85c71bcac64f.png

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

16 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Same here.  I have nine computers and only two of them have LESS than 4 MB RAM.  But I still use v11 even on computers with 8 and 16 MB RAM.

v11 is by far the "lightest" and the startup time after a reboot or coming out of hibernate is right around 3 seconds whereas v12 and higher is around 6 seconds.

My time is too important "to me" to wait that extra 3 seconds, lol.

I get it that folks need "newer" for SOME web sites - I do also (my water bill).

But I can do 99% of everything I need on v11.

I totally agree! BTW did you try Mypal 68 with my settings above in single mode process?

21 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

did you try Mypal 68 with my settings above in single mode process?

I did.  Saves a lot of RAM running in single-process mode.  I haven't done enough with Mypal 68 to know if I really like it or not.  I'll wait until it gets to a "stable" release before I run it through the gauntlet.

21 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I did.  Saves a lot of RAM running in single-process mode.

Good to know that it worked for you. Of course, Mypal 68 is in an early state of development. We will see what it will be. But I think it is a very interesting and promising project.

@NotHereToPlayGames
Bruh, my first computer had 16 MB of RAM, in 1997!

Anyway, I only trialed Mypal 68 for a short time in single-process mode, before figuring out IgnoreException trick usability for this browser, which I also use now successfully to get around access violation exception popup, but single-process mode was a definite path to (more) instability.

I continued to research the writing.
When I set the smooth edges in WinXP to "Standard" (see screenshot), the font in 360chrome V12 and V13 is normally.
Here, however, the problem is that other programs do not display correct the font.

Are there in 360 chrome settings where I can change this?

Kanten.jpg

On 4/27/2022 at 12:09 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

16 megabytes!?  That's 250 times more than my first computer.  My first computer was a Commodore 64 in 1983 and as its name suggests, it only had 64 kilobytes of RAM!

In 1986 my first personal computer with the 8088 cpu had only 640 KB RAM too. No harddisk, only two 5.25 floppy devices.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

1 hour ago, Anbima said:

When I set the smooth edges in WinXP to "Standard" (see screenshot), the font in 360chrome V12 and V13 is normally.
Here, however, the problem is that other programs do not display correct the font.

Not sure what you are saying.

If the font is normal in 360Chrome but not displaying correct in other programs, then it's not a 360Chrome question and should probably be asked in a general XP thread instead of a 360Chrome thread.