360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

I didn't really keep logs between rebuilds.

But can say that I do not do anything at all with the "core" / "browser engine" (neither does Humming Owl on his versions).

v13 will use more RAM than v12.  v12 will use more RAM than v11.  I personally use v11 for everything except ONE web site (my water bill requires v13 :realmad:).

But as far as one rebuild over the other, RAM consumption will be the same from one to the next.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I didn't really keep logs between rebuilds.

But can say that I do not do anything at all with the "core" / "browser engine" (neither does Humming Owl on his versions).

v13 will use more RAM than v12.  v12 will use more RAM than v11.  I personally use v11 for everything except ONE web site (my water bill requires v13 :realmad:).

But as far as one rebuild over the other, RAM consumption will be the same from one to the next.

Yeah that's what i figured... i doubted there will be any 'ram change' per se from rebuilds... just probably 'better support' for something/site specific if some sites change something that maybe in a higher build works better? haven't really had this issue and all works as it did when i first started using v11, i just don't really 'keep it open' due to the ram thingy (god i wish windows xp didn't have that 3.48gb limitation sometimes lol)

thanks for confirming it to me tho! guess i won't bother upgrading to the higher build till really 'needed'

The "method" of removing more possible-but-unwitnessed telemetry changed right around rebuild 5.

I should have kept better notes but didn't since there were only five or six of us even using 360Chrome at the time.

We're probably still under 20 or so of us.

v11 works great for me on one of my XP machines with only 2gb RAM but is stretched to its limit if I try to load too many tabs.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

16 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

All is good with dad - aside from an 81yr old thinking he "needs" a brand new plugin hybrid at $40,000 PLUS when he can't drive to and from the pharmacist without KNOCKING OVER HIS OWN MAILBOX.

My theory - the "reason" we have technologies like "lane assist", "backup cameras", "auto-braking", et cetera is because OLD FARTS *REFUSE* to admit that they SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING!

Aww come on....I have a few more years on your Dad...(good to hear he,s fine) but I still drive my Ferrari like Stirling Moss..(lol):D

Many thanks for that link to NoScript....good to know!!

Now I have another question that I wanted to know about,that I forgot to ask earlier,( have been doing that a lot lately)....In regards to the Dl and install of your program..I read one post about a member having problems with the install..( can,t find the page now) and your reply to him was something to the effect..did you use "set-up" or something similar to that.....Do you have any specific instructions on the proper/best way to install the program?? Don,t remember seeing that mentioned before...(sorry if I,m wrong)

Be well

16 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

My Windows Explorer does not access the internet, I get an "Application not found" error - intentionally set up this way.

What you do is go to your C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder (and C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer folder if 64-bit OS) and rename IEXPLORE.EXE to something like IEXPLORE.EX_ then create a folder by the name of IEXPLORE.EXE

XP does not allow a FOLDER and a FILE to be named the same, so I rename the FILE and create a FOLDER with the files original name so that XP can't "recreate" the FILE that I am intentionally blocking.

edit - I go one step further.  This file/folder naming scheme completely disables Internet Explorer!  But I keep it as the system's "default" web browser!  I have never set Mypal, New Moon, or 360Chrome as a "default" web browser.

So my XP doesn't really have a "default" web browser - intentionally.

I started doing this decades ago when "software installations" first started OPENING a web browser page and take you to the developer's web site or open a 'thank you for installing' web site.

When the installer forces a web page to open, it basically tracks/records the IP Address of everybody that installed the trialware software - not on my system!

Thank you for your help!

I wish there were more development that could be done with V11 and improve on chrome 69 to make it more up-to-date, but, sorry, I've not a clue of how to do such. Yeah, don't know how many people are still using it, I think its very good and still like DC Browser as well, but rarely use it as V11 does what I need with limited resources. I can run V13 but its too much of a hog.

Edited by XPerceniol

18 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

My theory - the "reason" we have technologies like "lane assist", "backup cameras", "auto-braking", et cetera is because OLD FARTS *REFUSE* to admit that they SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING!

ha ha. true that.

Hello,

Trying to Dl this file...https://www.dropbox.com/s/6z65t5yo08fr0ym/360ChromePortable_11.0.2031_rebuild_8_ungoogled.zip  (last updated: Jan 9, 2022)...and get a blank page when I get to the site...

The only thing I can think of why this happening is my No Script program, BUT I have it disabled before I go to the site....!!

I am on MyPal V.29.3 and XP SP3..

Any suggestions to help ??

Thanks..

Dropbox is known to be problematic with some Mozilla-based browsers but it is the only hosting site I have.

It seems to download okay in the only Mozilla-based browser I keep around (BNavigator 20210820)  --  https://o.rthost.win/boc-uxp/bnavigator.win32-20210821-355db4de-uxp-4ac28d1d4-xpmod.7z

(Time Zone difference always has Roytam's about screen and download link off by one day)

"Dropbox is known to be problematic with some Mozilla-based browsers but it is the only hosting site I have."

How true!..I recall many years ago trying to DL something, and after many,many tries I finally said to hell with this nonsense...

Shame to see this, but not going to DL another browser (or 2)  to try and get the file...

I,m just wondering how many other persons, have been silent about it, and encountered this problem and given up???....Possibly thinking about another hosting site,would bring in more users ..(maybe)

Dropbox is the ONLY site that I have ever had a problem DL a file/s!!

If anyone wishes to host files, I'm all for it.

But as is, I have too many hours on the project and hunting down another hosting site is zero priority on my end no matter how many "just wondering" pychological ploys are played.

The very reason that something like Dropbox doesn't work on your browser *IS* the very reason you should consider more 'advanced' browsers, but anywhooo...

If it helps anyone, I discovered a very simple trick that allows me to directly download Dropbox files without going directly to the website.
You copy the link address of the Dropbox file you want to download, then put ?dl=1 at the end.
So, for example, if you want to download the latest update of @NotHereToPlayGames's ungoogled 360EE 13.5, this is how the link should look:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/glulv6r8sce6xpy/360ChromePortable_13.5.1030_rebuild_6_ungoogled.zip?dl=1

This trick should make it possible to download Dropbox files in most browsers, even very old ones that can't render the site correctly (such as RetroZilla).
Typing this reply from Mypal 68, but I also have Serpent 52 open and have verified the trick there to make sure it works.

Edited by cmccaff1

Thank you! I'm glad I was able to be of assistance!

All of the 360 builds you've shared are quite great, along with Humming Owl's builds.
I'm sticking with your ungoogled 13.5 (for future-proofing purposes and because it's a bit more stable than 13.0), but it probably helps that my PC has 4GB of RAM.
My rule of thumb is:
- 4GB or more of RAM = use 13.0 or 13.5 (your choice)
-more than 2GB but less than 4GB of RAM = use 12.0
-2GB or less of RAM = use 11.0 (if even 11.0 is slow, you can try turning JavaScript off where possible or try Humming Owl's 9.5 build)

Of course, having a good processor helps, and since I'm still using a 2.8GHz Pentium D, I also keep an ungoogled 11.0 around because it performs better on processors of that time period (for the sites it still works well with, it performs far better than 13.5, especially when it comes to media-rich sites like YouTube).
On VERY old (but still SSE2-capable) computers that would struggle even with 11.0, Humming Owl's 9.5 build still seems to work well (better than the aging Chrome 49, which throws up connection errors on many HTTPS-based sites now), but is more limited these days as it does not appear to support TLS 1.3 (or at least, I've never been able to get it to properly work).

My primary computer is an i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz with 16GB RAM running XP x64 and five 21" widescreen monitors.

Not exactly top-of-the-line but extremely capable of running 7 and 10 and it has had both on it throughout the years.

I use v11 on it and all eight of my nine computers.  My only exception has been my water bill payment web site and I use v13 for that one-and-only web site.

I've never been able to figure out WHY, but v13.5 crashes on my first run after each and every reboot.  D#mn annoying!

Haven't been able to figure out WHY.  All nine of my computers crash after every reboot whenever I launch v13.5.  Default service that my XP setups disable?  Graphics cards on older hardware?  No clue.