360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

I don't like the latest build, hate isn't even a strong enough word.
I use version 3.8.1 from November 2011 and it works for everything except Yahoo and my three Yahoo accounts have been deactivated due to inactivity.
Version 4.0 was released in August 2014 and I *hated* it enough to never look at a newer version since and I'm still running 3.8.1.

Ah....this is why Yahoo doesn't work.
The version you are using of PP cannot use the Oauth2 authentication required by Yahoo and moreover the internal browser of PP (I.E.) does not have this functionality.
The build I recommended runs the default external browser for Oauth2 authentication.

3.jpg

The last build is not bad, try it.:yes::hello:

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

No need to.  When I tried to create a new Yahoo account, it asks for a phone number.  I do not own a phone.  And it will not send an SMS to "temporary" SMS services.  I personally never use email accounts that are tied to a "real" phone number!

The three Yahoo accounts that I had to let "expire" were over TWENTY years old.  Yahoo couldn't "trace" them to any "real" person!  I have zero interest in opening a new Yahoo account where Yahoo knows "exactly" who I am!

"Throw-away" accounts (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc) should be completely anonymous in my view.  None of the three "allow" that when creating "new" accounts.  But my 20+ year old accounts ARE!

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

9 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

(Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc) should be completely anonymous in my view.

And where's your famous "cop talk" like we have nothing to hide or smth like that (sorry for the free paraphrasing). Anyways , got my Yahoo in 2008 . No phone was needed back then.

Also , one could buy a dozen of SIM cards from albanians at the nearest train station . Though they could still ping your location, if you have a battery in your phone . Or go to a big city , like Paris , activate with a SIM from there . Return home. 

Forgot to say , do NOT forget to use burners .

Edited by D.Draker
burners

I have a Yahoo account that dates back to 2005 and two Gmail accounts from 2007 or 2009.  Never needed to provide any information back then as I recall.  A phone number was optional for password recovery I think.

Nowadays is quite worrisome, as it seems like one can't do much of anything anymore without some sort of smartphone.

I don't want to use a smartphone for everything!  And I don't buy the hype that it's better, easier, faster and more secure!  My opinion is that the only truly, 100% safe and secure computer system is one which is completely disconnected from the internet.  Funding issues aside, there's probably a very good reason why the US government still uses computer mainframes from the 1960s for certain top-security concerns: because they're completely isolated from the rest of the internet, they're virtually unhackable.

The preponderance of modern encryption algorithms and authentication rigamarole in virtually all aspects of the modern internet only serves to make computing more difficult, expensive and frustrating.  It doesn't actually make anything "safer," contrary to what Google et. al. want people to believe.

It's just another set of hoops to jump through.  Nothing more.

c

On 2/5/2022 at 4:43 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

... it asks for a phone number.  I do not own a phone.  And it will not send an SMS to "temporary" SMS services.  I personally never use email accounts that are tied to a "real" phone number!

Nearly impossible now to find one and I've held on to only 2 that I created a long time ago that didn't require a phone. I don't own a smart phone and don't want one and my phone is only for emergency; period. No data on it and no house landline since maybe 2006. Yeah, I don't know, going forward they need blood type and fingerprint. Its very hard being a blobfish, as when I (tryt to) talk I blow bubbles ;)  jk, or am I?!

Edited by XPerceniol

I tried to log into my Yahoo account, and now apparently I can't unless I give them a phone number so they can send me an SMS message with a verification code.

Given that there's nothing much to lose (they already know my number), I dutifully complied.  The trouble is, I never got the message with the verification code!

Therefore, I gave up.  Again.

I find myself longing for the good old days where almost everything was minimum security and we dialed in when we needed to log on and simply hung up when we were done.  Always-on internet is fine and good, but it gets annoying real fast when computers and OSes are basically built such that they actually require an always-on connection, to do the same things that their 20 year old counterparts did just fine with no internet whatsoever!

I remember when we got our first smartphone in 2013, it was very novel that we no longer needed to be at home or some place with WiFi to read emails.

Needless to say, the novelty wore off fast, and now I wish we could still use our old 2G phones.  I have a dream of someday inventing something that looks and works identically to, say, a Motorola StarTAC from 1996 (I mean identical, not one of those "re-imagined" abominations that are little more than variations of some basic Android-based piece of junk), but with a modern 4G or 5G radio instead of the old, outdated 1G and 2G of the original.

One day!

</rantmode>

c

Edited by cc333

They're 95% identical.  I use Humming Owl's notes for hard-coding all but default search engines.

I do not hard-code them because I provide preset settings that have the default search engines deleted.
They only "return" if you try to import previous settings to a new download and you don't import the correct "combination" of files.
Or you get a little trigger-happy and delete too many files out of the profile directory.
If the default search engines return, just simply delete them again but it would be helpful if you can track down the root cause.
I've never witnessed the default search engines "returning" but a few users have and "profile-mangling" seems to have been involved, difficult to isolate - I plan on creating an export/import tool eventually to alleviate.

I make several GUI changes to fix several css issues that Humming Owl does not address.
ie, Advanced -> Content Settings -> any of the Manage Exceptions pages and the underlying page will shift up, this does not happen in my versions.

Humming Owl's still has a "nag screen" that will pop up only once but I do not recall what "triggers" the "nag screen".
Just hit the ESC key if you see a "nag screen" - I think it is when you go to create your first bookmark, don't recall.

Mine also does not have a "nag screen" when you close the last tab.
Unsure if this is once-only or every time in Humming Owl's releases (I only know that I want to throw a shoe at the computer when I see it, lol).

My versions are "portable" and do not write registry strings to the Windows Registry.

Humming Owl's do write to the Windows Registry.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying out Regular v13.5 and have encountered a couple of problems.

Any changes I make to settings don't stick. Any extensions I add, like uBlock Origin, don't stick either.
If I restart the browser, the settings return to default and the extensions I added are gone.

However, if I add a bookmark, it does stick and my browsing history also sticks.

Also, is it possible to import bookmarks from New Moon?

Thanks for making your modifications to 360Chrome available. I've been finding a lot of the websites I use are no longer

working properly on New Moon.

Edit: I'm using XP Pro x86 SP3 on a Q6600 with 8GB of RAM.

Edited by obstinateXP

9 hours ago, obstinateXP said:

I'm trying out Regular v13.5 and have encountered a couple of problems.

Any changes I make to settings don't stick. Any extensions I add, like uBlock Origin, don't stick either.
If I restart the browser, the settings return to default and the extensions I added are gone.

Are you running as-is or did you make any changes to the 360Loader.ini file ?
If you made any change(s), however slight, please let me know what change(s) you made.

If you are running as-is, have you ran any other version of 360Chrome other than mine?
Mine is the ony version that strives to be "portable" and not retain settings in the Windows Registry.
So if you have used any other version (does not matter if v9, v11, v12, v13, or v13.5) by any other distribution, then you should remove their Windows Registry settings.

To test if you have other 360Chrome settings stored in the Windows Registry, try this while 360Chrome is not running (wouldn't hurt to verify via Task Manager).
Download and extract RegScanner from here  --  https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html
Run RegScanner and do a search for 360Chrome - you should not find more than roughly a dozen operating system MUI and compatibility keys.
If you find anything other than MUI and compatibility keys, then you should delete all of them and run my build as-is and see if everything works now.
I would suggest downloading again and running as-is and not using the profile you already know did not work as-is.

image.png.939a6b2737c385bcc1ec65f29ff8b424.png

9 hours ago, obstinateXP said:

Also, is it possible to import bookmarks from New Moon?

Yes.  Export as html file.  Import as html file.

@NotHereToPlayGames

Have you thought about archiving your Chrome versions?

the Dropbox page no longer works on Newmoon and Serpent 52,

The Dropbox page is displayed on Firefox 52 but refuses the download of all your versions...
Something to change on Dropbox that prevents DL:dubbio:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182993-360-extreme-explorer-arcticfoxie-versions/