360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

@to all

I would like to give some advice to all MSFN members regarding trackers.
I would advise you to put a list in UBO dedicated for blocking CNAME trackers:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AdguardTeam/cname-trackers/master/combined_disguised_trackers.txt

Which unfortunately are not stopped even by the latest versions of browsers.

Browsers themselves can’t protect users from CNAME-cloaked tracking. But content blockers can.

https://github.com/AdguardTeam/cname-trackers

3 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Misc
#disable-direct-write <--Set to Disabled from its default Enabled
#disable-accelerated-2d-canvas <--Set to Disabled from its default Enabled
#enable-offline-auto-reload <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#in-product-help-demo-mode-choice <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#reduced-referrer-granularity <--Set to Enabled from its default Disalbed
#enable-new-app-menu-icon <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#top-sites-from-site-engagement <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-emoji-context-menu <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-experimental-productivity-features <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#site-characteristics-database <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

Memory and Prefetch
#automatic-tab-discarding <--Set to Enabled from its default Undefined
#enable-nostate-prefetch <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

WASM
#enable-asm-webassembly <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-webassembly <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-webassembly-streaming <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-webassembly-baseline <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-webassembly-threads <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

Touch
#touch-events <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#disable-touch-adjustment <--Set to Disabled from its default Enabled (wen't back to its default "Enabled")
#touchpad-overscroll-history-navigation <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-touch-drag-drop <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

Hardware Acceleration
#disable-accelerated-video-decode <--Set to Disabled from its default Enabled
#disable-cast-streaming-hw-encoding <--Set to Disabled from its default Enabled

Service Worker
#enable-service-worker-script-full-code-cache <-- Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-pwa-full-code-cache <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#service-worker-payment-apps <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#just-in-time-service-worker-payment-app <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-speculative-service-worker-start-on-query-input <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

Device Discovery
#device-discovery-notifications <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

Video
#enable-new-remote-playback-pipeline <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

Optimization Hints
#enable-optimization-hints <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

App Banners
#enable-app-banners <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-experimental-app-banners <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

Gamepad
#enable-gamepad-extensions <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-gamepad-vibration <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#webxr-gamepad-support <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) devices
#webxr <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#webxr-gamepad-support <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#webxr-orientation-sensor-device <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#openvr <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

Cache
#save-previous-document-resources-until <--Set to "Don't explicitly save resources"  from its default Undefined
#autofill-cache-query-responses <--- Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

Third-party parser-blocking scripts
#disallow-doc-written-script-loads <--Set to Enabled from its default Undefined

Video
#disable-cast-streaming-hw-encoding <--Set to Disabled from its default Enabled
#enable-new-remote-playback-pipeline <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

Sensor
#enable-generic-sensor <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined
#enable-generic-sensor-extra-classes <--Set to Disabled from its default Undefined

And I'm only testing this for V11.

I ran Speedometer 2.0 three times BEFORE making these changes and scored  --  74.48  73.88  73.82    avg = 74.06

Then I made ALL of the above changes and ran Speedometer 2.0 three more times  --  74.14  74.11  73.41    avg = 73.89    slower (but not enough to exceed margin-of-error)

12 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

These are the only four flags that I move from their "defaults"  --

image.png.77f662d52a3a0c4462dacdcc16337489.png

I see .. Oh well was worth a shot. Likely will just default them back then other than what you've above. Mainly looking for two things - video playback that isn't choppy and the vanishing text issue. Other than that, I've been having good luck \wit this. V12 is just ok, but would be the next step if needed. V13 is fine and looks beautiful compare to V11, but I have to stop everything in the background and 13.5 as well. See, others here are needing features and to shop online - I don't. No virtual reality and if I want reality, I just need to step outside and its smacks me in the face. Everyone nowadays. I not fearful of google as I use their search and youtube, but, don't need to upload credit cards or auto fill this or that. No touch-pad or and no need for wasm or webgl. Running on slow hardware so working with what I've got. 

Thank you for testing and this is such a learning experience for me from FF all these years.

Take good care.

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

I thought adding cname-reveal: * true as one of your uMatrix rules resolved this?  Or so I thought but it appears the github for uMatrix states "This new feature is supported only in Firefox."

3 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Mainly looking for two things - video playback that isn't choppy and the vanishing text issue.

Same here.  I only ran that list as a speed test.  I've never been fond of performance claims without some sort of "measurement" to back it up.

If that list fixes the vanishing text issue, then I'd say that the list is a keeper - though other users may opt to see it narrowed down.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I thought adding cname-reveal: * true as one of your uMatrix rules resolved this?  Or so I thought but it appears the github for uMatrix states "This new feature is supported only in Firefox."

:yes:

Yes indeed, Chrome-based browsers do not have the ability to scan CNAME records.
So they need a list,Adguard's list is well maintained, with a considerable number of rules.
Another possibility is the use of AdGuard DNS:

....Thanks to AdGuard DNS that does block CNAME-cloaked trackers.....

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

I don't do "lists".  Not my thing.  I'm not really convinced that I really need to 'worry' about CNAME trackers, to be honest.  I think that some of us make life more difficult than it needs to be.  To each their own.  Mileage may vary.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Looks like CNAME Cloaking has been going on since at least November 2019.  My sky isn't falling, lol.

I guess I kind of view it this way, "Go ahead and track me, I got nothing to hide."  OR this way, "Too late to stop it, they already know everything about me."

During my college-days, I went to make an online purchase using my credit card and it was denied so I called up the credit card company to resolve the issue.

They asked me a dozen or two different questions in order for me to PROVE that I was ME.

One of the questions I was forced to answer was the biological name of my ADOPTED SISTER !!!

A "closed" adoption !!!  MY SISTER DIDN'T EVEN KNOW SHE WAS ADOPTED !!!  It was a family decision she not know until her 12th brithday.

But yet the credit card company knew and wouldn't "unlock" my credit card until I revealed the biological name of my ADOPTED SISTER !!!

So "they know everything!"

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

So, again, thank you for your tips. 
I promised I'd test using the following flags recomended in the linux-lite thread by @Sampei

I don't know how to test or bench the browser so I just go by what I see. 

I'm finding using:

Block scripts loaded via document.write

#disallow-doc-written-script-loads .<--Set to Enabled from its default Undefined

I've noticed faster page loading and scrolling *seems* less laggy. 

However, using:

Strict site isolation

#enable-site-per-process

It slowed performance, unfortunately. 

EDIT:

Edited by XPerceniol

15 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AdguardTeam/cname-trackers/master/combined_disguised_trackers.txt

I admit that I am still "undecided" on whether I need to start "worrying" about CNAME trackers.

I did find an awesome read on the topic here (dated March 2021)  --  https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-808-notes.pdf

Of particular interest, uBlock Origin DOES NOT ALWAYS BLOCK THIS IF YOU DO NOT ALSO BLOCK THIRD-PARTY SCRIPTS!

An excerpt -

The #1 worst offender by far, which is infecting 5,993 detected websites is “Pardot”, a SalesForce company which bills itself as “Powerful B2B Marketing Automation” stating that “Pardot offers powerful marketing automation to help marketing and sales teams find and nurture the best leads, close more deals, and maximize ROI.” Number two on the hit list is Adobe Experience Cloud, and the good news is, uBlock Origin blocks them both. But in a note on this table the researchers observe that Pardot is being blocked because the 3rd-party script being sourced from pardot.com is blocked, and that if that script was not blocked then CNAME abuse would succeed.

Does anyone know if a traditional HOSTS file blocks known CNAME addresses?
ie, can we "merge" (once properly formatted) MVPS's HOSTS file and the AdguardTeam trackers list into one HOSTS file?
I'd highly prefer that route as it is my preference to NOT have any uMatrix/UBO "lists" - I'd rather manually maintain my own HOSTS file.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Does anyone know if a traditional HOSTS file blocks known CNAME addresses?
ie, can we "merge" (once properly formatted) MVPS's HOSTS file and the AdguardTeam trackers list into one HOSTS file?
I'd highly prefer that route as it is my preference to NOT have any uMatrix/UBO "lists" - I'd rather manually maintain my own HOSTS file.

:no:

The list contains over 13,000 rules.
The || tag means you can omit http https so for that alone you would have over 26,000 rules.
Also there is the ^ tag which includes the subdomains.......

Chrome is the browser, at least in their latest versions, that is more lacking than the other browsers regarding the blocking of trackers.

With Chrome I would recommend to match in your adblocker to the "disguised" list the "Adguard Tracking Protection" List.