360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

SSL "certification" is a complete and utter waste of time.
It's a flawed technology, plain and simple.
Even MALWARE sites know how to show a "green padlock".
Gone are the days where "ssl" was for BANKING SITES ONLY - you know, back when that "green padlock" actually MEANT SOMETHING.
Now it's "https everywhere" and that's the STUPIDEST thing the World Wide Web ever conceived!

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Any idea why I'm getting this on quite a few (but not all) https sites?

Image1.thumb.jpg.9052d958080dbdf8209149c69eb4d772.jpg

Your system certificate store is fubared. Don't ask me how to fix it though 'cause I've no idea.

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Sometimes I'm also getting some sort of warning message in Russian about security problems.
If I check the checkbox and click the link underneath it, the sites then load.

Image2.thumb.jpg.eafec62a3ef95b428906491524bb35af.jpg

:dubbio:

The site is identifying with certificate made for domains *.go-vip.co, go-vip.co. Think of it as a scumbag in real-life showing you fake ID.

OK, I think I've resolved the problem!
I found a setting that allows you to select "No Proxy" or "IE Proxy".
It was set to "No Proxy".
If I set it to "IE Proxy", it uses the system proxy settings, which in my case use ProxHTTPSProxy for https sites.
This seems to have fixed it.
:yes:

It seems to be fine now.
I'm still getting a few sites with insecure connection flags because they contain some resources which are not secure.
I guess this is the equivalent of the IE "mixed content" warnings.
:)

Sorry to raise another query, but there seems to be an anomaly with italic text in 360Chrome.
Look at these two examples of a post I made in a Doctor Who forum.
In Firefox 52.9 ESR the text in italics appears correctly, but in 360Chrome it doesn't appear in italics, just at reduced level.
Is that expected?

Firefox
Image1.thumb.jpg.b9275c29efc288edcee55866ed349aa9.jpg

360Chrome
Image2.thumb.jpg.61a6434ea75f38bdea244ebe2fb2c9e4.jpg

The bit on the left is a bit scrunched up on 360Chrome too.

Font issues seem to occur farily often in Chromium-based browsers.  ESPECIALLY if the web master is a Firefox fan and they've learned that "rem-sized" fonts are often problematic in Chromium-based.  Not saying it happens "all the time", probably only about 5% of the time.  Seldom enough that all I've ever done when font issues arise is right-click and select Inspect and 99 times out of 100 you will find that the .css style for the problematic font is either "font-size rem" or "letter-spacing rem", just replace the "rem" with an equivalent "px" and problem solved.  The "rem" font size/spacing nuance has been around since 2013 at least (based on a few Google searches).  More often than not, it's because proper .css coding was not followed (but Firefox resorts to a fallback scaling so all the web master usually cares about is that it works in his beloved Firefox).  It's actually quite common.  I've known people to intentionally apply "rem" scaling in forum replies so that only Firefox users can read their reply (the Chromium crowd was smart enough to make the necessary corrections but the Firefox crowd was "self-amused" nonetheless).

To make a long story short (too late?), you can just use the Inspect feature and change the font-size or letter-spacing.

Or you can use Tampermonkey (this is the route I now use).  There are three I recommend (I only use one, but you may want to try all three to see which you prefer).
Browse over to GreasyFork.org and search for "global font".  One is called "Global Font: Adobe-branded" and one is called "Global Font: Microsoft-branded".
Both of those work really well.

The third is the one that I use.  Browse over to GreasyFork.ort and search for "clean font families".  There's also some good scripts at GreasyFork.org if you want to always change a specific font family to your preferred font family.  I'd have to dig through my archives but I think the one that I used to use as far as replacing specific font families with other font families came from there, unsure.

The "clean font families" has been my go-to.  I've not had any font rendering issues since I've started using that one a year or so ago.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

@NotHereToPlayGames,
thanks for pointing to this script:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/2372-clean-font-families
i use this extension: 
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/font-overwrite/efnhmidkajhnpdgfdpfnioiibmdjnkmn
it can replace all website fonts to what you want. (i use arial black)
tested all similar extensions , this one works best for me.
disadvantage with that is that it changes all "icon fonts" to squares. (on msfn for example)
the above script solves that.

edit:
the script "disables" the extensions on some other pages like youtube.
can't have it all i guess ...

Edited by rereser

You should be able to edit the Clean Font Families with an // @exclude for your youtube URL.

I'm not seeing any icon font squares on my end.  What section of an MSFN page are you seeing that?

Maybe an // @exclude entry for MSFN will also work best for you.    edit - disregard, you did say the font square were only with your previous extension and that the Tampermonkey script solved that issue.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Disabling the DirectWrite font rendering doesn't seem to make much difference to my eyes.
It looks as it should and matches how it looks in Firefox to me whether it's on or off, except for the italics problem, which having it on or off doesn't change.
Strangely, the post date stamp being in the wrong place on my second screen grab now seems to be OK, I don't know why it wasn't before when I did the grab.
I certainly don't want to override all web fonts with something else, I want webpages to look the way the author intended them to!
:)

9 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

ps - I also suggest disabling DirectWrite font rendering.  Unless your eyesight just can't see it, the screencap you posted has like EIGHT DIFFERENT COLORS where it's supposed to only be ONE COLOR.  Dang near almost gives me a migraine just looking at your screencap.

I assume he posted that on XP. DirectWrite is Vista+. His screenshots are 75% quality JPEG with 2x2 subsampling enabled though. I never use JPEG for screenshots (mostly). JPEGs are for photos. Period.

Edited by UCyborg

So that setting will do nothing on XP?
That would certainly seem to be the case!
I've always used jpg images for most things.
Would something like a png image be better for screen grabs, and if so why?