360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

Actually, they are old (the folders) , says ver. 28 . I don't use any translation in Chrome , yet it is still there.

"Aside from the main HTTP cache, Chrome also use other folders which can take extra space":

Application Cache - HTML5 Application Cache

GPUCache - GPU shader cache

IndexedDB - HTML5 Indexed Database

Media Cache - Multimedia-optimized cache (audio and video clips)

Local Storage / Session Storage - Web storage cache

PnaclTranslationCache - Portable Native Client Translation Cache

https://itectec.com/superuser/google-chrome-why-doesnt-chrome-respect-the-diskcachesize-policy/

Regarding data collection  --  I urge users of v13.5 to monitor their <root folder> \ Chrome \ User Data \ Default \ Local Storage \ leveldb folder and the files contained within it.

The .log file in particular logs timestamps and was always able to be deleted on exit in v11 and v12  --  but if you delete on exit in v13.5 then some extensions will lose their settings and revert to default settings.

edit - in v13.5, this log file keylogged my entire post as I was typing it!  it's also keylogged in v11 but in v11 I can delete-on-exit without any of my extensions losing their settings.

So in v11, every browsing session is started wtih an EMPTY .log file and therefore the .ldb files don't keep growing.

But I can only delete the .log file on every exit AFTER my profile is created and I've set all of my extensions' settings.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Updating first post to include two types of downloads - one download for new users starting with an empty profile, a second download for current users which need to keep their current profile.

May end up no longer maintaining an XP x86 SP2 version of v11 since I don't think any of the x86 SP2 folks are using v11 anyway.

17 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

in v13.5, this log file keylogged my entire post as I was typing it!  it's also keylogged in v11 but in v11

This kind of behaviour is present in any Chrome based browser and no one gives a d@mn. Any browser or OS these days is a huge keylogger , like Windows 7 , 8 , 10 , 11.

I deleted (blocked) Web Data file in the default folder , forgot to say . It logs the websites I visit . What other files/folders can we safely block ?

On 11/30/2021 at 3:07 PM, D.Draker said:

I read about Firefox and the forks here , just look at the connections ! You were right to dump these so-called browsers .

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183138-mozilla-and-firefox-has-turned-into-evil-and-lie-to-their-userbase-leave-it-and-go-for-alternatives/?do=findComment&comment=1207584

@D.Draker, that's the second time you've posted that link in this thread, implying that all the Firefox forks invade your privacy, but did you even read the entire post you linked to? Because the very first post says this:

Some alternatives I would recommend:

Palemoon based browsers. I cannot recommend using vanilla Palemoon for multiple reasons that most here likely know but codebase of browser is solid and Newmoon/Mypal on Windows and webbrowser on linux. Those are best if you need lightweight browser without webrtc or other. Those forks also runs down to vanilla Windows XP

Also Basilik (sic) is pretty good browser.

If you want to use latest Chromium based browser Ungoogled Chromium which removes Google stuff from Chromium.

If you want to use chromium on XP: I cannot say anything here since only used goanna based browsers so @ArcticFoxie [obviously written before your new handle, @NotHereToPlayGames] and @Dixel who got experience can help me out with this one [this thread is the right place!]

Honorable Mention:

Seamonkey I have been using that for while on linux to see how good it is and have to say it is very decent browser and not done by paid Mozilla Employees. It UI makes sense, support classic addons and theming. If you plan use it please follow mitigation guide for maxium privacy.

To which I would add IceApe-UXP, a SeaMonkey clone with privacy mitigations built in. Note that SeaMonkey and IceApe-UXP are also Firefox forks.

Just because Mozilla went darkside (and MCP went nuts) doesn't mean all forks of their browsers are equally bad!

3 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

@D.Draker, that's the second time you've posted that link in this thread, implying that all the Firefox forks invade your privacy, but did you even read the entire post you linked to? Because the very first post says this

I posted a link to a specific comment with proof .  Do you have proof ? I do not need to read that whole topic , I simply do not agree with the topic's OP , but I agree with the comment [made by another member] . Thanks but no thanks , I'm not going to use any of the firefox based browsers , BTW , this topic is about 360 Extreme explorer. Why would you write your forefox suggestions here ?

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

This kind of behaviour is present in any Chrome based browser and no one gives a d@mn. Any browser or OS these days is a huge keylogger , like Windows 7 , 8 , 10 , 11.

I deleted (blocked) Web Data file in the default folder , forgot to say . It logs the websites I visit . What other files/folders can we safely block ?

I agree!  It actually kind of annoys me that every time I turn around, somebody wants to squeeze the turnip 'in the name of' "security" or "privacy". (a red herring)

We've prevented the telemetry in 360Chrome.

But that wasn't good enough, now we are preventing files from logging websites.  (a very good advancement, I add)

But not only is that not good enough, we have the double-edge sword of "no one gives a d@mn" and "what other files/folders can we safely block".

Both can't be true at the same time.

I think I have every file/folder blocked in v11, v12, and v13.5.

I'll upload files after I get v13.0 caught up.

There will be no "dark theme" improvements with this set of uploads - maybe later, maybe not.

ps - the Web Data file is where 360Chrome remembers your preference to not send usage statistic "feedback", this feature is "broken" but I prefer the flag to be set to not "participate" in the "feedback program", this setting defaults to "yes, I'll participate in the feedback program" when you delete the Web Data file and allow 360Chrome to create a new one.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Updated download links in first post.

Reminder that there is no profile migration tool as of yet and reminder that this release has to copy FILES with a given name and overwrite FOLDERS with the SAME NAME (which Windows will prevent you from doing).

If you wish to preserve your existing profile (bookmarks, extensions, settings), you will need to do this MANUALLY.

19 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

we have the double-edge sword of "no one gives a d@mn" and "what other files/folders can we safely block"

If you want my opinion , I think we need to maintain this browser mostly for ourselves , this closed community of people who care about real privacy . Why ? Not because I don't give a damn about the others , no . It's just because no one really cares . I don't know anyone who uses something home made or even a bit edited . Here [in my city] everyone "upgraded" to the newest systems ages ago and no one cares . There are only a few of us , really.  

Edited by D.Draker
spelling

19 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

"dark theme"

I'm very touched you think of me , but honestly , don't bother and please don't waste your time . I have it already . I don't even remember where I got it . Some of the members gave it to me ?  But it's working very good. So your powers could be saved for something more important like telemetry and speed. Thanks.

On 12/4/2021 at 12:57 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

edit - in v13.5, this log file keylogged my entire post as I was typing it!  it's also keylogged in v11 but in v11

I think something's really wrong with your setup and choice of flags, settings (maybe even extensions?) . I don't observe such kind of behaviour in mine , no logged posts there ! I think you need to check. 

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I think something's really wrong with your setup and choice of flags, settings (maybe even extensions?) . I don't observe such kind of behaviour in mine , no logged posts there ! I think you need to check. 

Other users have cited that their 360Chrome writes files in their Operating Systems "temp" folder - MINE DOES NOT (and nor do I want it to), so mine may write extra content in the portable folder as a result.