360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

18 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

@D.Draker - I'm not sure if we should prevent ALL files that the browser creates.  I'll experiment with the list and if there are no ill side effects, I certainly have no issue with preventing all of them.  I will have to make sure that the folks (not me!) that prefer to close their browser with several tabs open and even with web sites still logged in, that "those types" can still launch and "continue where they left off" (again, not me!, I clear EVERYTHING with EVERY exit).

Yes we can , because they aren't related to cookies, logins , last opened tabs or anything useful . It's pure telemetry . I see no reason to clear on exit , it's still on your hard drive and can be restored [which is actually PROVEN many times , you can search for artilcles yourself . For example , this is "normal" behaviour for Opera , it restores all manual changes to the browser profile and keeping them encrypted]. You need to prevent them from being created . If you don't want to , it's your choice , but please stop saying like I'm a lunatic without electricity in my house . I'm very polite with you and I hope you will be too. Suggesting someone could have paranoid tendencies here is a huge insult

Found new tracking folder "temp" , located in data. It collects and stores images I've been saving to my HDD . If I block it , nothing bad happens , I'm still able to save images , like before.

If you think it's paranoia again , please leave your opinion to yourself , k ? 

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

It's pure telemetry . I see no reason to clear on exit , it's still on your hard drive and can be restored [which is actually PROVEN many times , you can search for artilcles yourself . For example , this is "normal" behaviour for Opera , it restores all manual changes to the browser profile and keeping them encrypted]. You need to prevent them from being created .

100% TRUE, I know this for ages... cleaning is NOT true "cleaning", but as you cut the rope...but everything is there forever, only the rope is cut, then you don't see it anymore, but Windows is more cluttered, and RAM used, that you see after the restart of Windows, it grows with time. Unfortunately.

11 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

ll upload new versions that prevent "data collection" in the next day or two.

But that seems very promising to unclutter the browsers - there would be no need to cut the rope.

17 hours ago, msfntor said:

OK., this is your browser and you could do it the way you like, sure.

The best solution I can think of is to create an "export profile" and "import profile" tool since 360Chrome does not have one built-in.  There is an import/export bookmarks, but none for extensions and settings.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Still testing but I think that some of our data-write preventions has caused more harm than good.

For those testing this data-write prevention, I urge you to monitor your 360Chrome's User Data \ Default \ IndexedDB folder because it will now collect site-specific data that I've not seen it collect until we started testing these data-write preventions.

edit - one example is YouTube.

For now, I'm just adding a line in the loader .ini to delete-on-exit http_* and https_* folders that are now being collected in this folder.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Still testing but I think that some of our data-write preventions has caused more harm than good.

Perhaps "harm" is not the best word here.

What I mean by "harm" is that instead of having ONE file (that we deleted-on-exit), we now have an UNKNOWN number of folders with an UNPREDICTABLE set of names.

So the "data collection" is STILL being done, it just got moved to a site-specific folder instead of one file that we knew where it was and could delete it by name.

We can't PREVENT the new site-specific folders from being created because there is not way to PREDICT which web sites will create these folders.

Update - the folders are created even without the "global data-write preventions"  --  BUT they were automatically deleted when exiting 360Chrome and now they are not, they remain FOREVER (or until manually deleted).

From what I have so far, it is best to allow "QuotaManager" and "QuotaManager-journal" but then let the loader .ini delete them when 360Chrome is closed.  This prevents the IndexedDB folder from collecting site-specific folders.  (I cannot prevent the IndexedDB folder because some extensions rely on it.)

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

There is an import/export bookmarks, but none for extensions and settings.

In DcBrowser we have "Import bookmarks ans settings" (at the top of "Settings" page), but no posibility to import extensions, indeed

- but what really counts, is not to have the choice of IE (no need to put it, besides at the top of choice..), but another instance of 360Chrome...

Off topic:

Don't forget our other msfn topics, example: 

Mozilla and Firefox has turned into evil and lie to their userbase. Leave it and go for alternatives 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183138-mozilla-and-firefox-has-turned-into-evil-and-lie-to-their-userbase-leave-it-and-go-for-alternatives/

And to let off steam, this one: 

The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts :

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182193-the-msfn-café-a-penny-for-your-thoughts/

He who seeks, finds.

17 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Thanks!  Adding it to the prevent-list.

edit - assuming <root folder> \ Chrome \ User Data \ Default \ data \ temp

I' sorry for the late reply , got busy . It's in the main folder User Data , right beside the Default. Also, other folders there FontLookupTableCachePnaclTranslationCache (what is this ?) , ShaderCache. Do you have them too and , most importantly , do we need them , thanks & sorry again.

No , I used a clean profile , so no leftovers . This is happening on all of the 13 versions I tried. I think I need to be clear , I don't use 11 or 12 since they are too old for my needs . For example, my gym website and other shopping sites do not work . So you can safely assume all of my replies are regarding 13 and 13.5. I would gladly use lighter browsers , but alas ...