360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

8 hours ago, msfntor said:

I've found some explications on the web:

"IonMonkey is the JavaScript JIT compiler used by the Mozilla Firefox. V8 is the JavaScript JIT compiler used by Google Chrome."

"V8 is Google’s open source high-performance JavaScript and WebAssembly engine, written in C++. It is used in Chrome and Node.js, among others. It implements ECMAScript andWebAssembly, and runs on Windows 7 or later..."

-so no V8 on Windows XP, I see?...no possibility to put the V8 code in 360Chrome , DcBrowser?...

Sorry for my dumb question...

That's actually a good question! (The only dumb questions are the ones you fail to ask.)

I'm not sure about this, but I think the V8 engine is included in 360Chrome versions. JavaScript in Chromium-based browsers is a bit slower than in browsers using IonMonkey, but it's still a lot faster than in Firefox-based browsers with IonMonkey disabled. Seems unlikely Google could achieve such performance without a JIT compiler.

If I'm right, I don't know if there's a way to turn V8 off, except by going to a sufficiently old version of Chromium. But I'm also not sure if V8 has had the number of security issues IonMonkey has, so turning V8 off for security may not be as desirable.

On 11/17/2021 at 6:58 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Agreed (x2).

I've always been a proud-follower of whatever web browser I landed on for whatever reasons I landed on it, and their has been many over the decades.  But "follower" and "loyalty" are two different things.  Not a fan of "browser wars" (I feel the browser-war mentality is actually kinda behind 'why' "official" Pale Moon has landed where it has landed).

A lot of it is just what you get used to, which is why many users of Firefox-based browsers prefer the old UI found in Pale/New Moon, or the even older UI found in SeaMonkey/BNavigator/IceApe. I've gotten Serpent 55 humming along pretty much the way I like it with add-ons, preference settings, and the like, so I'm not terribly psyched about starting over with a brand-new browser. (Same thing goes for OSes, BTW, which is why so many want to run Windows XP on newer machines.)

Even moving to a UXP browser like Serpent 52 means losing some add-ons, which may not be easily replaceable. But UXP does restore compatibility with DropBox, GitHub, GitLab, etc., so I always keep one (currently IceApe) in my Quick Launch bar.

For maximum compatibility, though, nothing beats Chrome. It shouldn't be that way, but unless/until someone comes down on Google the way the government did on Micro$oft a quarter of a century ago, it's the situation we're all forced to deal with. And your "unGoogled" 360Chrome versions are one of the best choices right now, being compatible with XP, Adobe Flash (sans the hassle of "standard" Chromium), and all those "troublesome" Web sites. So it too has earned a permanent spot on my Quick Launch bar.

12 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

That's actually a good question! (The only dumb questions are the ones you fail to ask.)

I'm not sure about this, but I think the V8 engine is included in 360Chrome versions. JavaScript in Chromium-based browsers is a bit slower than in browsers using IonMonkey, but it's still a lot faster than in Firefox-based browsers with IonMonkey disabled. Seems unlikely Google could achieve such performance without a JIT compiler.

If I'm right, I don't know if there's a way to turn V8 off, except by going to a sufficiently old version of Chromium. But I'm also not sure if V8 has had the number of security issues IonMonkey has, so turning V8 off for security may not be as desirable.

The Truth is not far away, it is enough to recognize it! ("Not knowing how near the Truth is, people seek it far away "...I said this in general, not personally, of course) - found it.

So check About Version - Chromium pagechrome://version (this same for Firefox: about:support)

DcBrowser Modified page says:

"DcBrowser: 75.0.3770.100 (32-bit) 

Revision: 9a9aa15057b6b2cc0909bdcf638c0b65ecd516f2-refs/branch-heads/3770@{#948}

JavaScript: V8 7.5.288.22 ...here it is.

360Chrome 13.5 r: 

360Chrome: 13.5.1030.0 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Revision: f82bc489e8a2ba595d8bafd62190512424e75623

JavaScript: V8 8.6.395.25

SRWare Iron: 49.0.2600.0 (Developer Build) (32-bit)

Revision: 9909a1c06abfc94f3e39a59d281034583cf959dc

Blink: 537.36 (@76745cbfbdac04e2fe3204f8b4f96ae7dc6bfcfa)

JavaScript: V8 4.9.385.28

Cent Browser: 1.8.9.28 (Developer Build) (32-bit)

Revision: 0

Blink: 537.36 (@1d7c6510fb93e005506258c89d20750bb9da196b)

JavaScript: V8 4.9.385.30

Slimjet: 50.0.2661.75 (Developer Build) (32-bit)

Revision: f6c0a1a39f3cc347ffaf4a575be3ff53f270c7e6

Blink: 537.36 (@ffad3c52452e415ab24c9cad1bae22eeb7428092)

JavaScript: V8 5.0.71.32

SuperBird - Chromium: 44.0.2403.0 (Developer Build) (32-bit)

Revision: 9563016b34d5518b1fb14c903170606797c3db26-refs/heads/master@{#343873}

Blink: 537.36 (@200717)

JavaScript: V8 4.6.77

Edited by msfntor

4 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

It shouldn't be that way, but unless/until someone comes down on Google the way the government did on Micro$oft a quarter of a century ago, it's the situation we're all forced to deal with.

It's really got much less to do with Google than most people think.

DropBox is not owned by Google  --  Google is not writing the code on DropBox that makes it most-compatible to Chrome-based versus Firefox-based.

GitHub / GitLab is not owned by Google  --  Google is not writing the code that has made GitHub / GitLab most-compatible to Chrome versus Firefox.

BitChute is not owned by Google  --  BitChute's player-related scripts making UXP choke are not written by Google.

MSN is not owned by Google  --  not Google's fault that some users have issues watching videos on MSN from UXP browsers.

The pendulum swings both ways.

In the 90's, I worked for a company where Firefox was forced down the throat of all employees.

Just as few as four years ago, all factory floor computers at two local factories were running Firefox solely because of div table cell width compatibility with manufacturing process logs.

Today, you can walk the factory floor of both of those factories, thousands of computers, and you won't find Firefox on any one of them.

14 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Open the Developer Tools and right next to the "X" that closes the Developer Tools is a "three-dot" icon to "Customize and control Dev Tools".

It will open a small context menu and in that menu you will see "More tools".

Hi

There is a problem with version 13.5.1030 because the font is not displayed in "Developer Tools". there are only squares that are displayed instead ...:unsure:

the other version works 13.0.2206 and 12.0.1247

3 hours ago, IXOYE said:

Hi

There is a problem with version 13.5.1030 because the font is not displayed in "Developer Tools". there are only squares that are displayed instead ...:unsure:

Yep , that's because he made his version from a russian repack , so you need to switch from russian to be able to view with normal fonts/language .

Here's how to do it , this image is from the russian website where he got his version . 

https://www.upload.ee/image/13076295/360ee.gif

25 minutes ago, IXOYE said:

I need to see a screencap of what you are referring to.

My v13.5 ships with the Developer Tools ALREADY switched to English via a "Local Storage" folder.  If you didn't use my build as-is and tried your own thing, I need to know what you did in order to duplicate.

As-is, I cannot duplicate your squares and I ship v13.5 with the Developer Tools ALREADY switched to English.

3 hours ago, IXOYE said:

Hi

All versions NEWER than 13.0.2206 will revert to Chinese if you delete the entire "Local Storage" folder.

This includes Humming Owl's v13 which is based off of the official Chinese 13.0.2250.

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

Yep , that's because he made his version from a russian repack , so you need to switch from russian to be able to view with normal fonts/language .

Here's how to do it , this image is from the russian website where he got his version . 

https://www.upload.ee/image/13076295/360ee.gif

Thank you Dixel your method worked on occasion, but your method does not last, because it comes back by default on the squares as soon as I close the browser and restart it, and that, even after having done a full cleaning.

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I need to see a screencap of what you are referring to.

My v13.5 ships with the Developer Tools ALREADY switched to English via a "Local Storage" folder.  If you didn't use my build as-is and tried your own thing, I need to know what you did in order to duplicate.

As-is, I cannot duplicate your squares and I ship v13.5 with the Developer Tools ALREADY switched to English.

I'm using the ArcticFoxie v3 version but something came up to default the Chinese language that is displayed in a small square on the browser.

Anyway, I downloaded the portable 13.5.1030 v3 version of arcticFoxie again and it works with that version. I think there must have been a file corruption with the use...

2021-11-20_152733.jpg

Edited by IXOYE

14 minutes ago, IXOYE said:

but your method does not last, because it comes back by default on the squares as soon as I close the browser and restart it, and that, even after having done a full cleaning.

You cannot delete the entire "Local Storage" folder on any version newer than v13.0.2206 (you edited the loader .ini to delete too much in the RunAfter section).  This includes Humming Owl's v13 because it is v13.0.2250.

The Dev Tools language setting is saved in this folder.  Or delete the "Local Storage" folder but know that the downside is that your Dev Tools language preference will not be memorized.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

I only delete this much out of "Local Storage"  --

FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\Local Storage\leveldb\LOCK;LOG;LOG.old    (you can add ;*.log to OLDER versions but not anything newer than build 2206 [but it has been known to break some extensions])
FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\Local Storage\*-journal

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Upon review, I use this DURING the setup of all my extensions -

FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\Local Storage\leveldb\LOCK;LOG;LOG.old

But use this AFTER all of my extension settings are created/saved -

FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\Local Storage\leveldb\LOCK;LOG;LOG.old;*.log

I had one extension in particular that all of it settings do not fully save until after an exit and relaunch and it needs that "Local Storage" .log file in order to do that.

Outside of that, I delete that .log file because it logs every website that you visit.

Not that I'm aware of.  Humming Owl's v13 does the same thing.  Any v13 at or older than build 2206 will not do this.  The official Chinese versions newer than build 2206 also does this, has nothing to do with mine, with Humming Owl's, or with the Russian Repack versions, it's present in the official Chinese versions newer than build 2206.

I'll do some digging.  But I'm a bit pessimistic as I did do some digging way back when build 2212 first introduced the Dev Tools language setting "moved" versus where v9, v11, v12, and early v13's all have it.