360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

I'll share my results, XP 32bit (x86 right?) SP3 on an Intel i3-2120, doing the https://browserbench.org/Speedometer2.0/ :

v11.0.2031_rebuild_5 (The one i use now almost exclusively.. used to use v12 for discord but unnecessary as it's back working on v11 now, and v13 i use just for one specific chrome app called web2epub so no point checking it) -

± 0.20

Detailed Results

Iteration 1 46.23 runs/min
Iteration 2 46.95 runs/min
Iteration 3 46.93 runs/min
Iteration 4 46.65 runs/min
Iteration 5 47.00 runs/min
Iteration 6 46.62 runs/min
Iteration 7 46.52 runs/min
Iteration 8 46.84 runs/min
Iteration 9 46.73 runs/min
Iteration 10 46.27 runs/min
Arithmetic Mean:46.67 ± 0.20 (0.42%)

here is this test on Mypal 29.3.0 which i still use as my main browser (and only v11 on the sites that run better there or require it) :

± 0.61

Iteration 1    16.65 runs/min

Iteration 2    19.74 runs/min

Iteration 3    18.49 runs/min
Iteration 4    18.82 runs/min
Iteration 5    19.09 runs/min

Iteration 6 18.84 runs/min
Iteration 7 18.53 runs/min
Iteration 8 19.36 runs/min
Iteration 9 19.45 runs/min
Iteration 10 18.82 runs/min
Arithmetic Mean:18.8 ± 0.61 (3.2%)

Honestly? not surprised to see v11 do so much better... after all it runs all the sites that mypal fails, let alone does some better/faster.. this test just sorta made it clear and obvious

Edited by Leifman

Mypal peaked at 27.9.4 followed by 27.8.3.  Performance benchmarks has it going downhill ever since.

NM27 peaked at 27.9.1a1.win32-git-20180707 and has been going downhill ever since.

NM28 peaked at 28.1.0a1.win32-git-20180922 and has been going downhill ever since.

Firefox ESR peaked at 31.7.0 and has been going downhill ever since.

Basilisk peaked at basilisk52-g4.4.win32-git-20190727 and has been going downhill ever since.

BNavigator has been very steady performancewise throughout its entire build history.

I was using 360Chrome v12 exclusively due to frequent crashes and lockups with v13 and v13.5.

But I've started using v11 exclusively in all VMs and on my secondary computers - but my primary remains on v12 due to Google Voice requirements.

Speedometer 2.0 benchmark on XP x32 SP3 on an intel Pentium G2030 3GHz

DcBrowser 4.0.7.22: scored 53.98

MiniBrowser 1.0.0.121: scored 49.7

360Chrome 11.0.2031 rebuild 5: scored 44.1

360xp.png

FireFox 45.9.34-20211106: scored 24.8

MyPal 28.11.0: scored 14.1

Edited by LowLander

Thinkpad T43/Pentium M760 2GHz/2GB RAM/XPProSP3

DC Browser: 22.7
Kafan: 21.8
OWL360_12.0.1692: 20.3
AF360_12.0.1247_r8: 19.8
AF360_13.5.1030_r1: 18.5
OWL360_13.0.2250: 16.6
---
NewMoon28: 9.9
Serpent52: 9.8
K-Meleon: 8.2

Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz w/ 2GB RAM / XP Pro SP3

360Chrome v11                                =  40.2
360Chrome v12                                =  38.0
Mypal 27.9.4                                     =  16.79
New Moon 27.10.0 (2021-11-05)      =  12.80
New Moon 28.1.0a1 (2018-09-21)    =  12.72
New Moon 28.10.4a1 (2021-11-02)  =  11.99

Edited by ArcticFoxie

So what do you think about this:
Speedometer 2.0 benchmark results in my Windows x86 SP2 with Intel Core 2 Duo 6300, 1.86 GHz (incognito window without extensions running), fan cleaned at the very last moment:
New Moon 28.10: scored 7.19 9.2
Basilisk 55 20211106: scored 10.9
Centaury 2021.07.31: scored 11.4
360Chrome 12 M (based on Chromium 78): scored 25.4
DcBrowser 4.0.7.22 (based on Chromium 75): scored 26.2

Thank you very much @Humming Owl for the modified version of DC Browser that I've downloaded today. Great, Dark Mode, Developer Tools in English, visible nice font, many customisations (eg. Brightness on Dark Mode button!..: “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it” John 1:5) ... so my new top quality browser!

Edited by msfntor
NM score

On 11/4/2021 at 9:51 PM, XPerceniol said:

@Dixel recommended comodo but I've not gotten around to trying it yet. TBH ... it bothers me that in order to use the windows firewall I also have to run *Window Management Instrumentation* (which is quite vulnerable) - or, at least, I'm unable to start the firewall service without *WMI*. What do you recommend?

Do NOT turn your firewall off , like he said , lol. Yes , comodo is good for XP. Try versions in the 5.5.x range , they are very simple to use (user-friendly). I wouldn't trust the native XP firewall , the programmes are smart enough to add their own rules and just bypass it.

I recommend Comodo also, for those taking the software-approach for a firewall.  I prefer hardware + wireless.

I did use Comodo for a good 10 to 15 years before buying this house.

I prefer the security of wireless over wired but alway used Comodo when connecting "direct".

Edited by ArcticFoxie

I consider Comodo bloatware, and am not sure of how safe it is, in terms of privacy. I prefer simpler things like kerio and privatefirewall. I disable the MS firewall.

Edited by dmiranda

10 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I'd like to see what 360Chrome v11 scores.

I tried DCBrowser and I was not impressed.  Definitely thankful that our options are widening.

360Chrome 11 r 4 XP x86 SP2: 24.7

Hmm WHY you're "not impressed" by DcBrowser?

Personally, I'm VERY impressed...eg. under Settings/Site Settings, we have "Popups and redirects" blocked, then Ads.. blocked on sites that show intrusive or misleading ads, ... Dark Mode button has Brightness control. Have zoom at 125%. - and more and more customizations. It's pure joy for me, this browser.

2 hours ago, msfntor said:

Hmm WHY you're "not impressed" by DcBrowser?

I use XP.  I hate hate hate when Chromium browsers don't use the system-wide title bar with system-wide close/minimize/maximize/restore icons.

All of my computers, including laptops, have multiple monitors.  DCBrowser's Chromium title bar (which is alreay my first dislike) has a context menu, that context menu only works on my primary monitor.

I do not like the gigantic upper left logo - I could probably fix this (and system-wide title bar) with my own "theme" (but I do not have enough "likes" to warrant my time with this browser).  It should be small and fit in a standard XP title bar.

The GUI menu font is "narrow" and looks "squished".

The GUI menu for "Open new tab", "Open new window", and "Open new incognito window" all only say "Open new..."

The GUI menu for "Save page" and "Save as image" do not have a SPACE between the function name and the keyboard shortcut.

It uses Internet Explorer's proxy dialog instead of having its own proxy setup - I could add an extension like I used to use in Chromium v49 (but I do not have enough "likes" to warrant doing so).

Too many folders are stored outside its own folder - I could probably fix this by adding a portable wrapper (but I do not have enough "likes" to warrant doing so).

There is no option for the "status bar" to ALWAYS be present - I have a very strong dislike for hover-only status bars, they "hide" information on certain types of "hovers" (.bat files used to be exploited this way, you can click on a .bat file and never know it).

I see no way to disable it attempting to fetch a spell-check dictionary - I do not use spell-check dictionaries and "fetching" them is a kind of telemetry.

"slosing" typo in Tab settings for multiple tabs - I could probably fix this (but I do not have enough "likes" to warrant doing so).

It uses DirectWrite font rendering and does not have the flag to disable it.

It embeds Google's Cloud Print API and this API has been depracated for over a year - I could probably fix this (but I do not have enough "likes" to warrant doing do).

BrowserAudit shows 10 warnings and I only have 4 in v11.

There is a BrowserMetrics file that it stores in the User Data folder.  It's 4MB huge and the time stamp is updated every LAUNCH but with the timestamp of the PREVIOUS CLOSE.  This is highly suspicious to me!

There is a WidevineCdm folder in the User Data folder.  It is empty but this strikes me as evidence that it will install Widevine by itself and will not ask me if I do not want it installed.  I do not want it installed.

There is a Safe Browsing folder and two Safe Browsing files.  "Safe Browsing" is generally a code word for "we are tracking you, but we do this for your own good".  I do not want such features that I don't have a way of opting-out.

Cloud Print and Web Store data is not cleared when you set the preference to clear on exit - I could probably fix this by "ungoogling" it (but I do not have enough "likes" to warrant doing so).

The Settings -> Conventional -> Cache location references TSBrowser instead of DCBrowser - I could probably fix this (but I do not have enough "likes" to warrant doing so).

Settings -> About calls it DcBrower, lowercase C and no S - I could probably fix this (but I do not have enough "likes" to warrant doing so).

It connects to Google on every launch.

it attempts to ping my IPS DNS six times with every launch - it returns a "Name Error" and is likely a "network discovery" or "Chromecast" connection.  Users were up in arms if we did not prevent this in 360Chrome so why allow it in DCBrowser?

To name just a few...

Edited by ArcticFoxie

@ArcticFoxie,

I have full confidence in @Humming Owl skills, and I'm sure he is well aware of some glitches or cosmetic inadequacies present in this build of DcBrowser, he will surely correct them if time will allow him. But in its present version, this new browser is already a great, beautiful surprise for me...I value it above all other browsers I know.

I see that you have found some minor or non-existent problems for me: I use this browser and I am HAPPY!
Sure logo is a bit big, I don't need inner IE drawing so big in it...
The font rendering is very readable, PERFECT for me, who is a bit demanding in the matter.
Spell-check dictionary - I don't care at all, to delete surely.
A few typos here and there that I've seen - will be corrected for sure...

If it's about BrowserAudit.com security test, I can't do it anymore on version 11 because I deleted it from my Windows, not being interested anymore.
In build 12 (Chromium 78): Incognito window: 12 warnings, 0 critical.
Build 13 (Chromium 86): Incognito window: 12 warnings, 0 critical.
DcBrowser (Chromium 75): Incognito window: 5 warnings, 0 critical.

Anyway: "I have full confidence in @Humming Owl skills, and I'm sure he's well aware of some glitches or cosmetic inadequacies present in this build of DcBrowser, he'll surely fix them if time will allow him." That's it. 

Youtube videos watching perfect in DcBrowser, no problems neither video nor sound.
If you get a free moment, watch this video on the Youtube in 360Chrome 13 builds and tell your impressions, please: ...

This one: 

/watch?v=rEuRJ9iyxmY

and this one:

/watch?v=Ute1kKtyhB0

I am waiting patiently for the time when the bad pass will be over...

Edited by msfntor
Browser audit - checked in Incognito window