360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

One small question @ArcticFoxie , if you 'update' a version, like if a new v11 is out etc' , what's the easiest way to just 'move' your previous used v11 settings (like profile/addons/bookmarks and all) to the new one? just copy the profile as i've been doing thus far (The Default folder)

Edited by Leifman

@ArcticFoxie,

"I remove four embedded Google API's in both the "regular" and the "ungoogled"."
"If you still have alpha_10 (it still contains all embedded Google API's)"

how does this effect the final builds ?

Edited by rereser

48 minutes ago, rereser said:

how does this effect the final builds ?

Puts them on par with the way SRWare Iron and Chromium do things by reverting to base functionality and removing Google telemetry.

We remove Chinese and Russian telemetry, why would we keep Google telemetry?

One of the four embedded Google API's (it's called Cloud Print) has been around since early 2010 in Chrome OS and embedded into Chrome browsers and enabled by default since Chrome v10 in early 2011.

Cloud Print (and Adobe Flash) were officially axed in December 2020 - why would we keep them in any "modern" browser rebuild?

Those that "want" Flash (or Widevine, as another example, or WebGL and SwiftShader as other examples) generally know how to add them in themselves and also know the risks associated therein.

I leave those to user discretion but offer basic functionality out-of-the-box in hopes of greater stability without excess bloatware.

I opt to remove a Feedback API and an Identity Scope API for reasons that their name alone should make your skin crawl.

I don't recall the fourth one offhand but do know that I remove four API's - I think it was an ancient PDF Viewer where 360Chrome views .pdf's without it so why keep it?

Edited by ArcticFoxie

1 hour ago, Leifman said:

One small question @ArcticFoxie , if you 'update' a version, like if a new v11 is out etc' , what's the easiest way to just 'move' your previous used v11 settings (like profile/addons/bookmarks and all) to the new one? just copy the profile as i've been doing thus far (The Default folder)

The easiest way is to extract the updated version then use your file manager to navigate to the Chrome\Application folder.

In that folder will be two folders (version.x.build.0 [ie 13.5.1030.0] and components) and two .exe files (360chrome and wow_helper).

Copy those two folders (and all of their contents and sub-folders) and two .exe files.

Now navigate to the folder where your previous files are and navigate to its Chrome\Application folder.

Delete the two folders and two .exe files that are already there.

Paste the two folders (and all contents and sub-folders) and two .exe files that you copied from the latest update that were extracted in a separate folder.

You have to do all of that with 360Chrome closed.

4 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

The easiest way is to extract the updated version then use your file manager to navigate to the Chrome\Application folder.

In that folder will be two folders (version.x.build.0 [ie 13.5.1030.0] and components) and two .exe files (360chrome and wow_helper).

Copy those two folders (and all of their contents and sub-folders) and two .exe files.

Now navigate to the folder where your previous files are and navigate to its Chrome\Application folder.

Delete the two folders and two .exe files that are already there.

Paste the two folders (and all contents and sub-folders) and two .exe files that you copied from the latest update that were extracted in a separate folder.

You have to do all of that with 360Chrome closed.

Gotcha. thanks :) that makes it easier ;)

Cool.  Added update notes to first post.

Slightly different steps but basically the same process.

For users of Roytam releases, the same process is used to update his builds when using the PORTABLE LOADER (you just delete the old BIN folder contents and replace with the NEW files).

PORTABLE browsers really are easy to maintain once you get the hang of 'em.

Using uBlock v1.26.2, after start of the 360Chrome builds, we have nag window: "Disable developer mode extensions" blablabla Disable (never!), or click on stop button (always!).

So could be possible to delete this boring function in the 360Chrome code, please?..

Thank you in advance!

oh also @ArcticFoxie not sure if it's important.. but figured i'll let you know on 'why' i decided to have v12 on the ready too now... unfortunately as of today, Discord for web (the only option to use Discord on xp) stopped working on v11.... that is even before i updated it (used rebuild 4 before, now updated to 5 but it's still the same thing happening) basically, when u go to https://discord.com/channels/@me you get a blank page, similar to about:blank with the tab icon still saying 'Discord' and having the icon of it.. but somehow failing to load the page/open it. it worked fine until today (yesterday even) so i'm quite curious what changed (probably something on discord's end?)

Anyways i unpacked and got v12 on the ready to use it 'only for discord' , as i compared v11 , v12, and v13.5 (no point in comparing v13 as they are pretty much the same) and pretty much as i thought... v11 is the best in terms of 'less heavy on memory useage' with v12 being the second best and v13.5 just being 'heavy' with a bunch of other Proccesses/features opening with different sites/webpages to really hammer down the memory usage and making it heavy + 'only if you HAVE TO' sorta deal.

So it seems like it is v11 for 'youtube/twitter/other sites i wanna run faster than with mypal' for me now, and v12 just for discord, while having v13.5 ready 'just in case' i need something that doesn't load/work properly with either... (for example one addon requires chrome 80+ so both 11/12 fall short in that regard, v12 by so little lol... 78? f***.)

Edited by Leifman

13 minutes ago, msfntor said:

Using uBlock v1.26.2, after start of the 360Chrome builds, we have nag window: "Disable developer mode extensions" blablabla Disable (never!), or click on stop button (always!).

You can get around that by installing your extension in a different way.

Download your extension .zip or .crx source file  --  in your case, here is your source file - https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases?page=4  -->  https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/download/1.26.2/uBlock0_1.26.2.chromium.zip

Extract the .zip or .crx to a folder location of your choice.

Personally my very next step is to delete any-and-all non "en" locales but this is personal preference to make the extension a tad more "lightweight" (and I'm never going to use non "en" anyway).

I often make other modifications and seldom use extensions "as-is", but that's a whole different story.

Now open the Extension Manager in 360Chrome.

Do not install from the extracted folder.

Instead, select the Developer mode checkbox in the upper right corner of the Extensions Manager.

Click the Pack extension button.

Click the Browse button for the Extension root directory field.  (Leave the Private key empty.)

Click the Pack Extension button.

That will create TWO files (a .crx and a .pem).

Unselect the Developer mode checkbox.

DRAG AND DROP the .crx onto the 360Chrome Extension Manager page.

You shouldn't have that nag window if you install your extensions this way.

3 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

You can get around that by installing your extension in a different way.

Thank you very much @arcticFoxie, but this solution is too complicated to me, so if you could change the 360Chrome code?..

- Yes you can...

Not sure if it's possible, to be honest.  I'll do some digging.  But my hunch is that the nag window can be removed (I personally remove the "360Chrome crashed. Click 'Restore' to restore previous session" banner [because my loader .ini deletes the session and there's nothing to actually "restore"]).

But in the case of that nag window, your browser would APPEAR locked up even though all that would be required is (most likely) having to hit the ESC key because while the nag window isn't there, the browser is still waiting for a nag window button to be pressed.

28 minutes ago, Leifman said:

when u go to https://discord.com/channels/@me you get a blank page, similar to about:blank with the tab icon still saying 'Discord' and having the icon of it.. but somehow failing to load the page/open it. it worked fine until today (yesterday even) so i'm quite curious what changed (probably something on discord's end?)

I've verified the blank page here and my normal "tricks" aren't finding any workaround.  :(

17 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I've verified the blank page here and my normal "tricks" aren't finding any workaround.  :(

Yeah it literally just started today.. for the few days/week since i started using ur 360 chrome v11 it worked fine.

it does work in v12 tho... so other than that, i still hold the hope that if it is on 'discord side' and since it just started today.. it might be 'self fixed' if they broke something/fix it? i know it's a long shot.. but one can hope :D

Oh also regarding the guy above.. i just press Esc with an unverified addon i use, yeah it's annoying.. but not that annoying that i can't click a button to remove it

Edited by Leifman