360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

Upon some trial runs on v13.1.x and v13.5.x, I will be keeping my v13 rebuild at build 2206.

There has been no "engine" upgrades to any of the 'newer' releases (they all use the same exact Chromium Engine used by build 2206).

Just a TON of "bloatware" and useless features not needed to just "browse".

Crashes on html5test do not concern me - by the time we wittled away all of the "bloatware" cr@p then html5test would likely continue to crash, no real loss in my view.

Once v13.1.x or v13.5.x makes it out of "beta" then I'll likely revisit - but for now, there is no "value-add" beyond 2206 from what I can see, just a bunch of added JUNK (even an added SERVICE that continues to run even after you close the browser!).

thanks ArticFoxie for at least looking at the newer v13.1 and 13.5 versions.

i had deleted all files from the 13.1 application that are not in v13.2206 before first run.(chrome files excluded)
no services running after closing the browser that way. (bloatware displayed , yes)
point i was trying to make that crashes on html5test are a good test for general browser stability.
if you use that site beyond normal use it will crash all v12 and v13 versions.(v11 will not and with v12 it will take much longer)
refresh many times , compare , clicking all over the site and such. (in fact misusing the page)
it has been my experience with v13.2206 that it also crashes randomly on other pages during the day.
sometimes the 360chrome.exe , sometimes the chrome.dll.

v13.2206 is the only one that does not display the dots circle upon loading the site. (v11 , v12 and v13.1 do)
maybe it has something to do in the way scripts are loaded , i don't know.
given the fact you cant replicate this behavior complicates things somewhat.
so i understand your reluctance to have a go at it now.

was just surprised to see a v13.1 version as robust as v11 , that's all.
will stay on xp with v13.2206 until you decide it's time for an updated "non beta" v13.1 or 13.5 version.

regards.

Edited by rereser

3 hours ago, rereser said:

it has been my experience with v13.2206 that it also crashes randomly on other pages during the day.

Same here.

MSFN is one of those random crashes - start to reply to a topic, walk away from the computer for a minute or two, return and browser has crashed, seems to only happen when a reply has been started.

I've not been able to track down the actual cause - but this happens in XP only and happens in all three of v13's  --  in my v13 [2206], in Humming Owl's v13 [2250], and in Dixel's v13 [1106].

On 9/27/2021 at 2:27 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

I hear (over and over and over, actually) that my XP theme is "blindingly bright".

The contrast setting of the monitor might be too high if you are using it with curtains drawn or at night. If the adjustment is only a few button presses away, I would tweak that, and avoid losing dark adapted vision. If you try to set a dark theme to every application, there will still remain more than one that is light, and that will make it hard to see anything on your customized dark applications.

Does that mean you don't "like" XP x86 SP2?

The increased size of SP3 is still smaller than the weight of modern applications. IIRC, SP3 added a few DLL functions that the last XP-compatible applications depend upon. The SP2 version might useful if someone has an older system and no desire to reinstall and reconfigure it from scratch.

45 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I've not been able to track down the actual cause - but this happens in XP only and happens in all three of v13's  --  in my v13 [2206], in Humming Owl's v13 [2250], and in Dixel's v13 [1106].

currently testing the russian v13.5.0 portable with your loader and extended ini. (http://effect8.ru/soft/browsers/360-extreme-explorer-portable.html)

the ui is mostly russian but it's very stable for me , can't get it to crash.

replace the three chrome files in 13.5 with the ones from 13.2206 and it will.

Edited by rereser

i know that is not the correct way and don't recommend!

way out of my depth here as to why v13.5 is stable with my user data folder from 13.2206. (options.zip and preference file excluded)

now got the white chrome theme with bold fonts.

will keep testing v13.5 ...

And there really is HOURS upon HOURS of work required in order to build these rebuilds.
I cannot spend HOURS upon HOURS for a BETA then turn around and do it again for a "better BETA" a month from now, then again for another "better BETA" two months from now.
As mentioned earlier, once v13.1.x or v13.5.x makes it out of "beta" then I'll likely revisit - WAAYYY too many hours involved to construct beta after beta after beta.

i know and i am not asking you to do so.

to me all 360chrome versions are beta , stated or not.

have copied my settings from 13.2206 to 13.5 and will run with it for a while.

chrome 86 on xp is amazing , russian or english.

just saying v13.5 is stable for me , not pushing you to do anything now or ever.

all i can say is thanks for all your hard work.

my reply's are just meant as feedback , nothing more.

Edited by rereser

Yeah, I guess basically ALL browsers are "beta".

Weekly updates.  Nightly branches.  Impossible to keep up.  False sense of security by end-users thinking the only way to be "secure" is to update their software three or four times PER DAY.

Googled for curiosity, found three articles in less than 15 seconds that "recommend" you set your anti-virus software to check for updates every 30 minutes - b#llcr@p, I don't even install anti-virus software!

Oh well...

Don't get me wrong, I'm very curious on the newer v13.1 and v13.5 because of the random crashes in v13.0.

I've been using v12 as my default because of those random crashes.

But it still seems odd that I ran v13.0 for close to six months or so before it started doing those random crashes - it was ROCK SOLID for very close to six months, NEVER a single solitary crash.

Almost like a "time bomb" was embedded into the code that hasn't been found yet.

We axed all of the telemetry we could find - but "did we?"

Is there some sort of "time bomb" that 'collects' data for six months or so and these random crashes are because it's now trying to "do" something with that 'collection'?  But CAN'T because we axed the code.

Just seems very strange to me that I was running v13 for that long without a single solitary crash and now it crashes daily.

~ "Things that make you go hmmm"...

2 hours ago, j7n said:
On 9/27/2021 at 12:27 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

I hear (over and over and over, actually) that my XP theme is "blindingly bright".

The contrast setting of the monitor might be too high if you are using it with curtains drawn or at night. If the adjustment is only a few button presses away, I would tweak that, and avoid losing dark adapted vision. If you try to set a dark theme to every application, there will still remain more than one that is light, and that will make it hard to see anything on your customized dark applications.

If "blindingly bright" colors, then look at capacitors in your video card maybe...or contrast setting of the monitor like @j7n wrote.

If not, I use dark theme, AND "Dark Background and Light Text" extension : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-background-and-light/cdcoopnlkdlmphjpjggdmhohkiklonkh?hl=en-US - the best one.

Edited by msfntor

@ArcticFoxie ,

haven't run your v13 version for that long and it does the same for me.

just needed to as new moon 28 is frozen in it's tracks and more and more pages don't work.
after the learning curve i was impressed with this chrome version. (on xp!)

very fast , opens all sites and releases memory when it should.
was getting used to the crashes (and even your blue theme :) ) when i saw the post about v13.1.
you mentioned v13.5 so i found that and started testing.
can not fault this one yet where with 13.2206 you and i can. (html5test for me and an open started reply on msfn for you)

have made the settings (that i need and do not change) and have my extensions after removing the ones that come installed by default.
these connections are made on browser start only.

Host Name         : hiya.browser.360.cn
Host Name         : puv.tt.browser.360.cn

don't know what they are , if this is a risk , or what data is send.
the russians left it in v13.5 for a reason ? (blocked in hosts now without negative effect)

maybe you accidentally removed too much harmless code and other modifications except translations and skin.
but problems to start only after 6 months could make anyone doubt their work and you should not.

long story short: just tested the russian v13.0.2206 (default extensions removed) against html5test.com and it chrashes the same as your v13 modified version.

conclusion 1 : "stable"  2206 source you started out from is flawed , period.
conclusion 2 : you did nothing wrong , except for leaving out a win2k skin :)
no doubt in my mind.

Edited by rereser