360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

2 hours ago, LowLander said:

@ArcticFoxie testing your build and i see something wrong with fonts

for example try this and see:

https://off-guardian.org/2021/09/22/30-facts-you-need-to-know-your-covid-cribsheet/

Maybe try NOT blocking webfonts on that page? And reset zoom to 100%

Or, it could be conflicting with your desktop DPI setting somehow.

Edited by RainyShadow

5 hours ago, Dixel said:

... white walls (OMG why?) and 5 LED TVs that's what worries me ...

Your comment didn't dawn on me until I returned from lunch break.

I own a '50s classic car with white wall tires and also a '60s classic car with white wall tires, do lunch breaks on occasion with a guy in another '50s classic car with white wall tires and another guy in another '60s classic car with white wall tires.

But that's not what you meant, you meant the walls IN MY HOUSE  --  they are not white walls, they are an eggshell tan that FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY tends to make them look like they are white.

But no, I am not one of these people with walls so dark that it looks like the inside of a cave.

edit - removed names of cars, I kind of feel "stalked" that people (think they) know the color of my living room walls and "memorize" such trivial tidbits...  oh well...

Edited by ArcticFoxie

1 hour ago, RainyShadow said:

Maybe try NOT blocking webfonts on that page? And reset zoom to 100%

Or, it could be conflicting with your desktop DPI setting somehow.

I tried that page at 100% zoom, default XP DPI (96), and Incognito Mode (no fonts or js blocked) and both my v11 and Humming Owl's v11 "squished" the font.

Good question.

"During" loading would tend to indicate a .css issue with transition or tranform types of .css functions - from the best I can tell all of these work fine.

I have found several pages that "squish" the font in both mine and Humming Owl's v11.

The commonality is that the squished font always (so far) has a .css "font-size" in rem.

36 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

P.S.

got a link for one of those affected builds?

I'll update the first thread post of this post thread.

I've been waiting until I get my v13 caught up with my v11 and v12.

But that could be a week or two (remodeling a bathroom, all new drywall, flooring, shower, sink, toilet, vanity, lighting, and exhaust fan - the whole nine yards and doing all the work myself).

Edited by ArcticFoxie

I tested v11 from here under Win10 (because my XP system can't run 360), but i could not replicate the issue.

I even tried going through the proxy in my XP just in case it could be some unsupported cypher, still no dice.

[edit]

OK, your v11-rebuild3-ungoogled did the trick.

Edited by RainyShadow

36 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

v9.5 and v11 that targets XP x86 SP2 

Even 360EE_9.5.0.138 needs SSE2, it won't start here.

Anyways...

What i noticed about your v11 is that even the browser UI has different fonts. Did you change anything font/language related in the settings or in chrome://flags ?

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

The commonality is that the squished font always (so far) has a .css "font-size" in rem.

After a quick comparison, i didn't notice any difference in the shown style attributes between good and bad builds.

For now i think it is something about the font renderer itself...

Edited by RainyShadow

DirectWrite doesn't fix it in XP.

Googling around and rem font-size scaling seems to have been a big issue on several Q-and-A forums in 2013/2014.

Still reading through several of them, several suggestions cited do not fix the "squish" (but nor did they for several followers of those threads at the time).

It seems for most that this was introduced in Chrome 72 and resolved when upgrading to Chrome 73.

Even seen some posts where a background gradient causes fonts to "squish".