How to replace system files?

husara1

26 minutes ago, husara1 said:

Do you have experience or knowlegde about it?

You talkin' to me? :dubbio:

Yes :yes:, it is more than 20 years that I boot systems and replace their files (though not professionally, only as a hobby).

But there are good :angel system files and bad :ph34r: system files, so it all depends, if you need advice/help you will need to be specific.

jaclaz 

17 hours ago, jaclaz said:

You talkin' to me? :dubbio:

Yes :yes:, it is more than 20 years that I boot systems and replace their files (though not professionally, only as a hobby).

But there are good :angel system files and bad :ph34r: system files, so it all depends, if you need advice/help you will need to be specific.

jaclaz 

I need changing Internet Explorer files in Win 2K. Unfortunately, Microsoft thought Internet Explorer should be a system component and put files on System32. So these files are "protected".

Hmmm.

Protected by what exactly?

WFP was introduced in XP, AFAICR, Win2k should be free from that.  <- Edit: Brain fart, disregard.

Maybe you are having some kind of (NTFS) ACL permissions, if I were you I would first try the *whatever* you are trying to do on an install on FAT32.

Only for the record, my idea of "specific" is a little more narrow than "Internet Explorer files in Win 2K", in some cases (but shouldn't be yours) it is possible to replace file contents by using direct disk access.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

Hmmm.

Protected by what exactly?

WFP was introduced in XP, AFAICR, Win2k should be free from that.

Maybe you are having some kind of (NTFS) ACL permissions, if I were you I would first try the *whatever* you are trying to do on an install on FAT32.

Only for the record, my idea of "specific" is a little more narrow than "Internet Explorer files in Win 2K", in some cases (but shouldn't be yours) it is possible to replace file contents by using direct disk access.

jaclaz

I tried using INUSE.exe but it said "WFP enforced". I can change the files only by using a live system which is unpractical.

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

I tried the empty SFCFILES.DLL method and it worked. Thanks you for all the support.