Network Error?

Teeotsa

19 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Is this computer wired or on wireless?

Wired. My whole family is using the same network as me, so yea i cant really do about it, can i? 

19 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Get a decently old version of netscan (freeware), *like*:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110527051122/http://www.softperfect.com/download/freeware/netscan.exe

or a similar tool, identify the devices connected to your network, find the duplicate.

There are basically two ways to setup IP addresses the good/ol' one (static IP addresses manually assigned to devices) and the new, modern, smart one (using a DHCP server to assign IP addresses to the connected devices).

The first one works nicely in small networks as long as there is someone keeping the devices correctly settled.

The second works nicely most of the time and is actually more or less *needed* for Wi-Fi, BUT (since it costs nothing) every single stupid device has usually a DHCP server so it is not so uncommon that two DHCP servers are active at the same time, potentially creating conflicts depending on when/which device is switched on or that some user decides to set a static IP manually.

You need to understand, as Tripredacus said, how the network is setup and act depending on what you find, no way to know what exactly may be the problem without knowing exactly how your network is setup/which devices are connected to it (and how they are configured), for small networks (like I believe it is your home/family one) it is easy to check the settings of each device manually.

jaclaz

1 hour ago, Teeotsa said:

Wired. My whole family is using the same network as me, so yea i cant really do about it, can i? 

Is "whole family" two people, three people, twenty people, fifty people?

You are making this much more difficult than it really is!

You do not need any added software, you do not need to learn networking.

When you get that error, how many people are home and using their computer?  It really is THAT easy.

You're not trying to track down the IP Address on a factory floor with 400 computers and 399 of them have a static address and 1 of them was a dynamic address that "stole" a different assembly line robot's IP Address.

You're dealing with the "whole family" - period.  PIECE OF CAKE!

Why are you making this so much more difficult than it really is?

Either track down the other ONE out of "three or four", not that hard to isolate, family members using the same IP Address or just change your own IP address.

Changing your own IP Address takes 30-60 seconds, 5-10 if you already know how.

But instead of doing that, you're 3 days into this already?

You are dealing with a FAMILY of computers.  You're not dealing with a LAN with specific file-sharing needs, your not dealing with a factory floor with HUNDREDS of computers.

You are dealing with three or four computers!  Ten TOPS!

If you can access admin panel of router you should be able to check what devices are connected now and which stoles your IP. I would recommend set any static ip below dhcp range which is most routers is below 100 (for example 192.168.0.99). To check ip use IPCONFIG command on command prompt

5 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

You're not trying to track down the IP Address on a factory floor with 400 computers and 399 of them have a static address and 1 of them was a dynamic address that "stole" a different assembly line robot's IP Address.

You're dealing with the "whole family" - period.  PIECE OF CAKE!

Why are you making this so much more difficult than it really is?

Either track down the other ONE out of "three or four", not that hard to isolate, family members using the same IP Address or just change your own IP address.

Changing your own IP Address takes 30-60 seconds, 5-10 if you already know how.

But instead of doing that, you're 3 days into this already?

You are dealing with a FAMILY of computers.  You're not dealing with a LAN with specific file-sharing needs, your not dealing with a factory floor with HUNDREDS of computers.

Sounds like someone else been enjoying joy of network on work too:roll1:. How about some smart peoples filling DHCP leases since they use mac address randomisation resulting address space to be reserved faster than they released and place having too many peoples. Been dealing with it and no joy

• 1 month later...

Oh guys. Im sorry, had no time to answer you. 

About the error, i did something and it worked. Found some guide online haha. (Not sure anymore as i dont use Vista that much as my main) 

Anyways thanks guys