Windows 2000 Wifi Utility

Uday Singh

I'm Using a Lenovo R60 With Windows 2000, and it has full driver support. Unfortunately, the Intel PROset WiFi driver does not come with an application, and thus I can't connect to the internet wirelessly. I know that XP was the first windows release to have such features built in, but if there is a generic or universal wifi app that i can install on win2k, that would be great.

There wasn't a program that came with the wireless card? In the Windows 98 days, there was a wireless conncetion program that came on a CD with every wireless device.

Maybe it's worth sticking another wireless card in the laptop. Maybe an old wireless USB stick that comes with a driver disc for Windows 2000. That should have the said driver program onboard.

But it must be considered that there have been newer encryption standards released over the last 20 years (WEP -- WPA -- WPA2...). Your wireless card has to be capable of understanding the encryption that your router is asking for. So that has to be checked too, if your router can be downgraded there, too.

Since nobody seems have mentioned Boingo wireless is one I use. That works with my Intel 2200bg wifi card on my Pentium M notebook running vanilla Windows 2000 professional SP4. It worked with every win2000 compatible card that can do wpa2 and has no issue connect any network on my experience. I have also used that utility with same WIFI card as you do many years ago so as long you got latest win2000 driver wpa2 will work just fine

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

11 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

i had link to it too on my post. Underlined text means link but most wont notice them so good you posted those. I confirm that is one I use and runs no issue under w2k

18 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

i had link to it too on my post. Underlined text means link but most wont notice them so good you posted those. I confirm that is one I use and runs no issue under w2k

I know :) , though what I meant was more that a Wayback Machine link should be more "reliable" (in the sense of "safer")  than *someone's* blog that points to *some* file hosted on mega.nz or yadi.sk (no offence whatever intended for the good guy(s) :)  that managed to keep the file available, but better be safe than sorry as a general rule ;)).

jaclaz