Internet on start up

MAVERICKS CHOICE

Sounds like AOL software.

Nah just kidding. :)

Use a startup monitoring application such as Mike Lin's Startup CPL utility (MSConfig is crap as it is), and uncheck anything suspicious, or anything related to the popup you're getting.

that's probably either some sypware or u have a program that checks "new updates" at boot time. therefore it want's to dial to check for new updates. if u cannot find any spyware and if u cannot locate the program that is causing that

just right click on the internet explorer link on the desktop to go to internet options

go to connections and click "never dial a connection" that should get rid of it.

Xmac but only problem is it won't dial in that way, least my experience with dial-up which I no longer have.

Heres a couple things to try.

Disable Automatic Modem Connections at Startup.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole]
"EnableRemoteConnect"="N"

Disable Autodial for some Programs.reg

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RAS Autodial\Control]
"LoginSessionDisable"=dword:00000001

Those 2 usually stopped that on mine as i said when I had dial-in and I guess on my broadband cause I have nothing try to connect now. I also do the disable source check on IE and a few other thing's. I don't use msconfig i go straight to the reg and delete whatever try's to get out and make a reg thing to fix for the next time, probably not for the masses that don't do reg thing's though. I guess if you disabled them then they are now under this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

hehe FthrJACK Nothing stops them

I had ZoneAlarm Pro and all them tweaks applied and the thing still was dialing out. I unplugged phone line and fixed was only way to stop it. I emailed the thing to ZoneAlarm but never heard nothing of it. That's 1 time in 9 year's so guess I been lucky, after all I knew it was a dialer and let it install just to see what happen's - Test Mode. XP on the other hand does try to connect by itself, if you have broadband you don't even know it's happening except I disable the LAN each time I finish on the web so when I boot it doesn't connect till I let it.

@ MaxXP,

dialers usually install along with some freeware, or via java exploit. update JVM to sunjava and watch what you download.

@Maveric, what is in start>startup folder?

anything under run or runonce in the registry? and do you get to see the url of the page thats trying to open? also check from browser hijack with hijackthis!

Thoroughly run adaware and spybot S+D and check for spyware.