What type of phone do you have?

Thank you for the offer! But I had an unrelated accident with an online order and I'm broke now.

Nokia power supply is heavy with a transformer inside. The simple round plugs were largely interchangeable for many models.

Edited by j7n

8 hours ago, j7n said:

Thank you for the offer! 

You are welcome.

8 hours ago, j7n said:

Nokia power supply is heavy with a transformer inside.

Yes, very early ones were like that, later ones were "light" like the other common brands ones.

8 hours ago, j7n said:

The simple round plugs were largely interchangeable for many models.

Actually almost all of them, a series of power supplies came with the "large" round pin and an adapter to "small" round pin, and was almost universal.

BTW, in their simplicity, round pins can still be rotated 360° (as opposed to USB Micro-B which 0° and the - much enhanced - USB C 180°) it was practically impossible to make torsion wrinkles on cables.

jaclaz

On 8/25/2021 at 7:04 AM, j7n said:

I have a basic Nokia 3100. The plastic case has broken and the rubber cover on the power button melted. But a replacement can't be found anymore. I am used to the keyboard layout. In cold weather I must be able to type before the screen reacts to display the letters.

i was able find spare case to nokia 6600 I have laying around when used enough time online

16 hours ago, jaclaz said:

And yes, good ol' Nokias are still good ol' Nokias, mine is still going strong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_1280

That looks similar to 1110 I have in box expect slimmer. Likely same hardware with slimmer design and few bugfixes. Does it last few weeks on single charge?

7 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

That looks similar to 1110 I have in box expect slimmer. Likely same hardware with slimmer design and few bugfixes. Does it last few weeks on single charge?

Never tried it for so long, but surely 1 full week.

I changed the battery last year because it started to last "only" three days.

The original battery is BL-5CB , that goes in a few other models (that has less capacity than the more common BL-5C):

https://pinoutguide.com/CellularPhones-A-N/nokia_bl-4c_battery_pinout.shtml

jaclaz

I've never seen those adapters, because I got my phones used. A barrel connector seems to be a more conventional and safe choice, and is used in power supplies for other kinds of devices. USB is primarily a data port. I wouldn't want somebody plugging random, possibly faulty devices into my computer just to get power.

The BL-5C battery is also quite universal. Instead of changing the plug to USB, the European government should have standardized batteries across all phone manufacturers.

1 hour ago, j7n said:

I've never seen those adapters, because I got my phones used. A barrel connector seems to be a more conventional and safe choice, and is used in power supplies for other kinds of devices. USB is primarily a data port. I wouldn't want somebody plugging random, possibly faulty devices into my computer just to get power.

I just have to slap barrel charger in without looking way it is which I like. Also made it easy make my own charger dock to few phones

1 hour ago, j7n said:

The BL-5C battery is also quite universal.

I have three batteries. One is BMS-2 which is to my Nokia 6110 and also works on my 5110. It works from phones released in 1997 to phones released in 1999 for most parts. Then I got blc-2, that works on my 3330 and 3510i and also works on almost all phones until 2003 or so. Then got BL-5C that works all other phones expect 9300 communicator and E-Series. For charger acp-7e works to every phone mentioned there and acp-12e works all but 6110 and 5110. This gives me freedom to change phone whenever pleased. Also older phones stored sms and contacts to sim by default so all need to do is pop battery to other phone with sim and good to go. I now moved from 6110 to 3330 for fun and may go to 3510i or other and then back to 6110 just because I can. Wonder if carrier is thinking why my phone imei keep changing every so often:lol:

1 hour ago, j7n said:

Instead of changing the plug to USB, the European government should have standardized batteries across all phone manufacturers.

I would say standardise battery physical size and others also forbid non removable batteries because they make repairs harder and causes more e waste. I have been extending many device life by getting spare battery to them. I am not comfortable melting any glue to do it to be honest since risks related to it. Also in case something goes wrong, unplugging battery will kill power and minimise damage. Example being water damage that saved my phone few times when got wet from inside.

And of chargers making real charging soluction. For while usb seemed like it but seems that new chargers wont co-operate. I got galaxy a40 on workplace and had battery running out of it and borrowed workmate oneplus charger with usb-c header. Guess what, it did not want to charge phone at all. I am not against quick charge but there should be compability mode that supplies standard voltage to device if handshake fails. Standards are good but they seems to be fading away again.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I use iPod touch 4 when I was kid. Then, my dad gave me his old iPhone 5c to me. Then, someone bought me an iPhone 6+ for my birthday. After having 6 Plus, I bought iPhone 8 Plus for myself with my own savings. I planned to buy 14 Plus with my savings but 14 was too pricy.

Edited by LonghornXP

Might be going back to a flip-phone. Don't use the smart phone (see few posts above) much at all, rather its turned off most of the time.

Edited by wimc