What type of phone do you have?

My main one is a Sony Ericsson W200i. Heavy usage since it was new like 13 years ago. This phone slipped out of my pocket and dropped into a toilet once. Right into the flusing water! What a relief it didn't go down the drain.

A Nokia 3310 was found at a privately-owned scrapyard. Removing the SIM-lock was easy. And new batteries could be found on the internet. A friend uses it now.

17 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Some wonder how I can work on computer industry without smartphone

If your company is a good one, it buys you a Smartphone, if they think it's a necessary goodie to work. I snaked around the problem so far. There was always someone who had an old smartphone in stock. What a shock to see, what the people have to endure daily... like a badly-educated, hyperactive dog begging for your attention.

The split from work and private life is very important, I feel. The work phone stays at work. The private phone stays at home.

I wish best luck and success to the Finnish people at Jolla to stay afloat on the stormy ocean of the Smartphone market!

11 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

My main one is a Sony Ericsson W200i. Heavy usage since it was new like 13 years ago. This phone slipped out of my pocket and dropped into a toilet once. Right into the flusing water! What a relief it didn't go down the drain.

i have had on nokia going for a swim and survived after took off battery

A Nokia 3310 was found at a privately-owned scrapyard. Removing the SIM-lock was easy. And new batteries could be found on the internet. A friend uses it now.

I think all it needed was type per device code when no sim inserted?

If your company is a good one, it buys you a Smartphone, if they think it's a necessary goodie to work. I snaked around the problem so far. There was always someone who had an old smartphone in stock. What a shock to see, what the people have to endure daily... like a badly-educated, hyperactive dog begging for your attention.

I do have smartphone at work but it is not my property technically like my work laptop. It is loaned by workplace to me as long as work there, but outside it I got no smartphone. But on work been surviving without using it mostly other than calls. But workplace provided more than sufficent work resources

The split from work and private life is very important, I feel. The work phone stays at work. The private phone stays at home.

I use my workplace phone only to work related calls and it sits on office desk daily. Only time took it home was when had to work remotely. Some workmates uses personal smartphone to work too with all software like outlook and they answer messages even when not in work which will mix work and private. I cannot be distracted by work emails when off work since only access it on my work laptop

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

15 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

apps collecting data and selling to telemarketers

Absolutely !!! Didn't you read the warnings when installed applications ? Something like "this app is going to read/modify data , send text , etc".

My current one is a MyPhone 6110, not a bad phone, but feels kinda cheap. I used to have a Nokia 1616 (my first ever phone), 1661 and a 1110. I do also have a 'smart'phone, which is an Xioami Redmi 6, though I only use it as an internet source currently.

On 8/17/2021 at 7:06 PM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

they used low use as excuse to end sales to it

On one hand , they take away what is rightfully belongs to us every day more and more , on the other hand , there are plenty of folks (not only young) that really enjoy (!) all this nonsense. I heard plenty of Swedes got chip under their skin (!), didn't you know ? The next step smartphone right into the brain . In case you haven't noticed , it's one the latest agendas (look at what's going on). 

13 hours ago, NojusK said:

My current one is a MyPhone 6110, not a bad phone, but feels kinda cheap.

If that phone is this it looks like poor 5110 or 6110 ripoff:buehehe:. That is not definitely most best made phone but does it job. Sadly many judge all plastic basic phones by those. Old school nokias had near unbreakable plastic and I had few phone taking lot of abuse as kid (i dropped it to asphalt too many times when walking or cycling and dropped to water and other) and they still works.

I used to have a Nokia 1616 (my first ever phone), 1661 and a 1110.

I got 1110 as alarm and it is very good phone. It has talking clock too

I do also have a 'smart'phone, which is an Xioami Redmi 6, though I only use it as an internet source currently.

I currently got nokia e71 for similar purpose. It got 128/128kb/s internet plan. I just have to hook it to computer I want and either use nokia own internet sw or setup standard gsm modem to internet access.

@Mr.Scienceman2000 Well, you've asked for that how I removed the SIM lock on the old Nokia 3310. I remember that people around the globe documented the procedure in some videos. Some strange program had to be used to generate a code, depending on another code that could be accessed over a secret code that could be typed in the keyboard. It was a good exercise for doing online research, I'd say.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:06 AM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

was it due short circuit or overheating that caused it? I rarely see melted pcb on mobile devices

I think just general heating. When there are 2 bars, it will start to warm up when doing certain things. I've since changed many settings to save on data and battery and this seems to have helped keep it cooler. So on the old phone, I was not able to ID the chips that are damaged, but know that neither sound nor vibrate will work on it.

Our search engine overlords have stopped supporting Chrome for Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) in 2020. They're going to block older versions from signing to Google services soon. Other apps tend to follow and if they're connected to certain service or any other reason exists that user wants an updated version, it's not possible to use it, so device is then considered outdated. They're usually not upgradeable very far, if at all.

5 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Our search engine overlords have stopped supporting Chrome for Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) in 2020. They're going to block older versions from signing to Google services soon. Other apps tend to follow and if they're connected to certain service or any other reason exists that user wants an updated version, it's not possible to use it, so device is then considered outdated. They're usually not upgradeable very far, if at all.

My comment was mostly joking from throwaway culture where all is old when comes out. Anything using google framework will go down and refuse work unless microg keeps support. Highest hope is on f-droid apps. Sadly nobody really cares about old devices anymore even if they are usable.

Only hope is on community. For example I have modded few of my symbian phones I play around to support sha2 and can login even to gmail over imap that way which is fun since s60 3rd edition came out in 2005. Sadly any site asking over tls 1.0 refuse work unless use opera mini and being limited to tls 1.0 will also kill gmail over imap some point. Also got openstreetmap based map program on it called s60maps that is still updated. Feels anything will have community trying extend lifespan if user is not afraid of modding and tweaking

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

I have a basic Nokia 3100. The plastic case has broken and the rubber cover on the power button melted. But a replacement can't be found anymore. I am used to the keyboard layout. In cold weather I must be able to type before the screen reacts to display the letters. This phone seems to be unable to receive intelligible voice from some callers, as if they rely on encoding with more dynamic or bitrate.

I also have a Samsung flip phone that is newer, but I don't use it much. And a Nokia 1680c-2 with a compatible keyboard, but more slugish software and smaller size.

14 hours ago, j7n said:

I have a basic Nokia 3100. The plastic case has broken and the rubber cover on the power button melted. But a replacement can't be found anymore.

There are a few still available here in Italy (JFYI):

https://www.cellulareaccessori.com/cover-nokia-3100-cover-blu-blister-originale-p-28.html

https://www.cellulareaccessori.com/tastiera-nokia-3100-tastiera-originale-p-431.html

I doubt that they send stuff abroad, but if you are interested I could act as proxi.

And yes, good ol' Nokias are still good ol' Nokias, mine is still going strong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_1280

jaclaz