What type of phone do you have?

Since nobody else had started thread about it, I decided to start one. What type of phone everyone are using here? Smartphone, dumbphone or still been able to stick with landline phone or something else? Also what brand and what model and is there any special reason why that exactly?

I am currently rocking on Nokia 6110 from 1997. I use it because durable body, it fits well to my hand, it got long battery life (1-2 weeks on single charge), and it is from era when Nokia assembled all phones in my home country. Sure they costed more but were more reliable. I have customised it a bit, got custom logo instead of operator name (old one from one tv channel) and got knight rider theme as ringtone. On pic it is sitting on desktop stand that can charge spare battery too

795080917_IMG_0080(Small).jpg.fa671b0c86717b701b51bde49347f71f.jpg

I currently got no wired phone since operators no longer offer them to private. Been thinking getting voip, but my internet tend to drop sometimes and would miss a call for it

I have a landline phone with a caller ID function , made by Alcatel , bought from a German hardware shop . I was so glad that I god rid of the d@mn Panasonic , because it demanded to change 3x1.5v batteries every 2months !!! And the Alcatel works without them at all , even though it has a much better LCD display ! Also , many simple cell phones with buttons. A ton of old Nokias and Philipses from 2001 to 2007, I'm terribly sorry , I do not even want to remember their models. Old Philips phones have the best long lasting batteries . The only dumbphones I had (or even forced) to buy were just meant to make gifts (parents , girlfriends , etc). Yes , my parents use various smartphones , lol ! 

49 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

First one has some melting on the PCB, got a replacement.

was it due short circuit or overheating that caused it? I rarely see melted pcb on mobile devices

35 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I have a landline phone with a caller ID function , made by Alcatel , bought from a German hardware shop

does it also have programmable contacts like one comsys landline phone I got? It got internal phonebook and option to program speed dial

37 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Yes , my parents use various smartphones , lol ! 

ever feel like despite being younger than many others you still got oldest phone out of them? Some wonder how I can work on computer industry without smartphone:buehehe:.

3 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

does it also have programmable contacts like one comsys landline phone I got? It got internal phonebook and option to program speed dial

I think it does , I just don't use any of that . I can link you to the exact model: alcatel temporis 580 , white colour. 

ever feel like despite being younger than many others you still got oldest phone out of them? Some wonder how I can work on computer industry without smartphone

Well , I didn't even have a cell phone for a very long time ! In the 1990s , when everyone around (including my parents and other relatives, girlfriends , friends and co-workers) had them , I still refused to use it. I do not like to be bothered or distracted . And even now all of them are almost always off.

17 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Well , I didn't even have a cell phone for a very long time ! In the 1990s , when everyone around (including my parents and other relatives, girlfriends , friends and co-workers) had them , I still refused to use it. I do not like to be bothered or distracted . And even now all of them are almost always off.

I am one few who despite using and liking cell phone are fine for someone not having one. It is more distract free life and if someone said had landline I called them instead of sending sms. I do not understand why some think person cannot live without one. It is user choice. I choose use one since advantages on a road or on move where I am mostly and I can always mute it only letting trough most important calls. You in other hand do not want distraction at all while on move which is understandable and person own choice

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

8 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I currently got no wired phone since operators no longer offer them to private. Been thinking getting voip, but my internet tend to drop sometimes and would miss a call for it

Whoa! How so ? Is it even legal to refuse you having an ordinary phone ? What about the laws in your country ?  In my country , Holland , Koninklijke PTT Nederland (The Royal Dutch landline and mobile telecommunications company) is the largest telecom company providing many business and private connections. 

Here's the proof. To get a line telephone service :

Go to a KPN retail store in any city centre (store finder in Dutch)

Or call their customer service Tel: 0800 0402 (free call from anywhere in the Netherlands)

Once an appointment has been set up, it should take five working days to get connected. The following are needed to get a telephone connection:

Proof of identification , Residence permit , EU bank account details for direct debit payments , People from outside the EU pay a deposit for a telephone number.

There are two types of connections available:

A normal telephone line, the cheapest option allows one line and one number

An ISDN line (more expensive) will provide two lines and four voice numbers

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/netherlands/housing/setting-up-home/telephone

Edited by Dixel
added details

8 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Whoa! How so ? Is it even legal to refuse you having an ordinary phone ? What about the laws in your country ?  In my country , Holland , Koninklijke PTT Nederland (The Royal Dutch landline and mobile telecommunications company) is the largest telecom company providing many business and private connections. 

It is because "lines been disconnected" . It started here from operators skyrocketing prices of landline. Before was 20 mark soon 40 then more. Then dropped gsm prices. When enough had switched off they used low use as excuse to end sales to it. Now operators around europe plan do same to any dumbphones by killing gsm "in benefit of consumer". Soon only option is smartphone sadly and I seem to be last person seeing issue on that or earlier dropping landline. Only other option is voip which I highly dislike due tied to broadband. Landlines could run on batteries for weeks if outage

Now operators around europe plan do same

Haven't heard any rumours here . On the contrary , they replaced the cables near my house with new and 'advanced' (as the workers told us) , lol.

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I haven't owned a phone since 2004.

No land line.

No cell phone.

A very stress-free lifestyle  :ph34r:

It seems we have quite a few things in common, after all ! Even though I have plenty of phones , doesn't mean I use them (they are almost always off, see the above) . BTW , my dad is around 80 y.o. , he is in a pretty good shape , it's quite common for a Dutchman , nothing out of the ordinary , lol . So he can't live without his phone , he needs to be in touch 24/7. He is always furious about me ignoring all this 'phone' life and asks me (almost every day) why am I not answering my phone ?!?!??! And he is a huge fella , much taller than me .... it's very dangerous to drive him angry , lol.

P.S.

Regarding spam on landlines , no , we don't have much of it here in contrast to the states. But I usually just pick up the phone ans say nothing , I wait for them to talk first.

Here in the States, spammers/solicitors used to never be able to call a cell phone.

But then the "consumer" got STUPID and wanted to carry their land line number over to a cell phone.

So now the spammers/solicitors are allowed to call land line and cell phone - all because the "consumer" got STUPID.

I moved to this city in 2001.

I got my first cell phone in 2001 in order to keep in touch with friends now 3 hrs away.

3hrs is a long commute so I eventually drifted apart from the friends in my previous city.

In 2004, I called up the cell phone provider and told Customer Service that I wish to cancel my cell phone plan.

She didn't want to lose a good-paying customer and tapped away on her keyboard, "What if we put you in a different plan?  I have a plan about a third of what you are paying now."

I requested she pull up her data and tell me how many MINUTES that I have been on the phone in the past YEAR.

More tapping away on her keyboard.

She comes back, "Wow!  Sir, it says here you have only used FOUR MINUTES in the last YEAR."

I replied, "Now do you understand why I wish to cancel?"

"Yes, right away sir, we have you cancelled."

8 hours ago, Dixel said:

It seems we have quite a few things in common, after all ! Even though I have plenty of phones , doesn't mean I use them (they are almost always off, see the above) .

mine is mostly sitting on desk or in pocket or car dashboard. I got profile called high priority enabled on it which alerts only from my parents number and few other that I know wont call me without good reason using built in caller group option ("family", "VIP", "Friends", "work" and "others" as options). Only thing outside call and sending random short messages is listening it ringtones or playing snake if too bored middle of nowhere:lol:.

8 hours ago, Dixel said:

Regarding spam on landlines , no , we don't have much of it here in contrast to the states. But I usually just pick up the phone ans say nothing , I wait for them to talk first.

I had plenty of spam calls on my old operator and when switched they ended. I also got private number which by law does not allow spam calls. If marketer or bot calls to my number will result issues to caller. I just said this is private number to few and it ended. But funny enough smartphone users seems getting more spam calls than me. Maybe that is due apps collecting data and selling to telemarketers?