Windows Vista SSD Care Tips

Jakob99

Hi! I just purchased a WD Blue 4TB 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive which will go into another laptop and replace the WD Blue 1TB 3D NAND Solid State Drive currently in that computer and I was thinking about popping the 1TB into my Dell Latitude E6530 and installing Windows Vista with Extended Kernel to it and was wondering about SSD care tips when using one with Vista. I do have Elpamsoft's SSD Tweaker Pro, which I got when I tried Vista on a 500GB SSD on an older Vista laptop, and it appeared to work, but I wanted to know of other tips that can help in prolonging the life of the SSD while using it with Vista. Thanks in advanced for your guys' help!

There's an important thing to consider, Windows Vista can't Trim SSD's as it does Windows 7/8/10. SSD tweaker configure the system for the SSD, but it can't Trim. I found in a forum a program called ssdtool but I don't know if it really can trim the ssd. So what programs can trim any SSD?

ssdtool.zip

Hello fellow diehards! Here is my checklist regarding any windows 6.x version on ssd drives. You would expect that Windows 8.1 and 10 would be more respectful towards ssds but I think that this is not exactly the case. Feel free to let me know if you know of anything else. Also @Sergiaws I don't think that Windows 7 can trim ssds. They still use the word "defrag" while windows 8.0 and newer use the word "optimize".  A dual boot with a newer OS could be in order just for this function. Personally I have windows 10 (only because it came with my laptop) and 7 in dual boot but windows 8 could be a good alternative to windows 10 if the only thing you do with it is optimizing the drives. Windows 8.0 won't do automatic updates too. Once per month I boot in windows 10 optimize the drives and then run away before it destroys my peace of mind.

1. Disable Superfech in Services

2. Disable Prefetch in Windows Registry.

Go to:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

Set Dword EnablePrefetcher to 0.
    0= Disable Prefetcher
    1= Application launch Prefetching enabled
    2= Boot Prefetching enabled
    3= Application launch and Boot Prefetching enabled

3. Optionally set Dword EnableSuperfetch to 0 as well.

0= Disable Superfetch
    1= Enable Superfetch for bootfiles only
    2= Enable Superfetch for applications only
    3= Enable superfetch for both boot files and applications

4. Force Kernel Drivers and System Code to Stay Loaded in Memory
    Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    Set DisablePagingExecutive to 1

5. Disable Search Indexer
    Go to: Control Panel --> Indexing Options | Remove everything
    Go to: My computer --> Right click on hard drive properties | Untick indexing

6. Disable diskdefrag if any
7. Disable system protection (restore)

8. Disable Pagefile, Hibernation

9. Disable Automatic updates?

Edit: added #8. Thank you @Dixel

Edited by xrononautis

As far as I know Windows 7 can trim SSD's. A good thing would be to include a trim utility on Windows 10 installation media, so you can open there the command line and there the Windows 10's trim utility. I'm wondering if something like that would be possible.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:53 PM, Jakob99 said:

Is that all? I will do that. Thanks for the tips!

You can just test it and see for yourself whether it's working or not . Run cmd.exe and copy/paste these commands.

The command to enable TRIM : 

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

The command to test TRIM : 

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify  

Yes, you need to type "behavior" instead of the much more common "behaviour".

Also , disable the page file completely (you can even delete the pagefile.sys later)  , if you have enough RAM , I'd say with 8-16GB of RAM it's absolutely fine to disable it.

https://www.minitool.com/lib/pagefile-sys.html

I think dissabling page file is a good idea for people who has more than 8gb, or they have a modern computer with a good processor, 8+gb of ram and a good processor. But I read that it don't make a significant difference.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:31 AM, winvispixp said:

I don't think that 8 gb is enough, heck I wouldn't disable it even if I had 16

It's pretty easy to reach the maximum amount of ram that you have these days

Reach with what exactly ? The OP was asking about his specific notebook model , Dell Latitude E6530. So the advice was given looking at the specs. This CPU/laptop is like what , 10 years old ? I can't imagine any possible scenario where he could reach all 16GB of RAM . This machine has 3rd gen Intel Core i3-3110M Processor (2.4GHz, 3M cache). It's underpowered , he just can't play any modern (and not so modern) games on that ! Wait a minute , I kinda know ,  perhaps if he joins @ArcticFoxie's 360 browser contest in a desperate attempt to open 189283028302 pages with youtube and play all videos all at once...

Full laptop specs , says 2011 at the end of the page.

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-e6530-laptop-computer-3rd-gen-intel-core-i3-3110m-processor-2-4ghz-3m-cache-blctu2s2/

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

Reach with what exactly ? The OP was asking about his specific notebook model , Dell Latitude E6530. So the advice was given looking at the specs. This CPU/laptop is like what , 10 years old ? I can't imagine any possible scenario where he could reach all 16GB of RAM . This machine has 3rd gen Intel Core i3-3110M Processor (2.4GHz, 3M cache). It's underpowered , he just can't play any modern (and not so modern) games on that ! Wait a minute , I kinda know ,  perhaps if he joins @ArcticFoxie's 360 browser contest in a desperate attempt to open 189283028302 pages with youtube and play all videos all at once...

Full laptop specs , says 2011 at the end of the page.

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-e6530-laptop-computer-3rd-gen-intel-core-i3-3110m-processor-2-4ghz-3m-cache-blctu2s2/

you dont need to be that harsh

i know that the op was asking about his model but the topics title is very generic so everyone could follow these steps, not just him

you just need to be a little bit more open minded

Edited by winvispixp