How to install Windows 11 on "unsupported" hardware.

GD 2W10

Do you want to upgrade your Windows 7/8/8.1/10 PC to Windows 11, but your PC doesn't meet the requirements? Well then, this tutorial is for you! These are methods that can be found anywhere on the internet, but I wanted to post it here. With this tutorial you should be able to install Windows 11 on any PC that supports Windows 10 x64, as there is no x86 release of Windows 11, so if your processor is IA-32 only, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.  If you do have a 64-bit processor, but only 32-bit EFI, and no BIOS access, then I'm afraid that you also can't install Windows 11 on that PC, as again there's no IA-32 release of Windows 11, and there isn't a way to boot 64-bit EFI files on 32-bit EFI (at least for Windows). However, if you are running Windows 7 x86, and have a 64-bit processor, then yes, it is possible to upgrade to Windows 11. I will later post a method on how to do so.

Method 1: Install Windows 11 with the Windows 10 Setup (clean install ONLY method, does not work with the modern setup, therefore it cannot upgrade) (best clean install method):

1. Get a Windows 10 x64 ISO. You can do this with the Media Creation Tool, or with Windows ISO Downloader.

2. Copy the contents of the ISO to a folder. Go to sources and delete "install.wim" or "install.esd".

3. Get a Windows 11 ISO

4. Mount the Windows 11 ISO.

5. Go to the sources folder, and copy "install.wim" or "install.esd"

6. Paste the install.wim/esd file into the Windows 10 x64 sources folder.

Here’s how to make it into an ISO:

7. Download and install NTLite. https://www.ntlite.com/ 

8. Once you have installed it, select "Free", unless you have a license.

9. Click "Add" > "Image directory"

10. Select the Windows 10 setup with the Windows 11 "install.wim/esd" folder.

11. Right click on "install.wim/esd", and click "Create ISO"

Method 2: Upgrade/Install Windows 11 with the Windows 10 "appraisesres.dll" file (upgrade + clean install method, this method ONLY works with the Modern Windows Setup, using the other setup will still give you the "This PC can't run Windows 11" error) (WARNING: This method may not work for newer builds. It will definitely work with 21996, some versions of 22000, and maybe also some slightly later builds):

1. Turn off your Wi-Fi. If you don't do this, it will still give you the error.

2. Get a Windows 11 ISO. 

3. Copy the contents of the ISO to a folder. Go to sources and delete "appraisesres.dll"

4. Get a Windows 10 x64 ISO. You can do this with the Media Creation Tool, or with Windows ISO Downloader.

5. Mount the Windows 10 x64 ISO.

6. Go to the sources folder, and copy "appraisesres.dll" to the sources folder into the Windows 10 ISO.

7. Paste the file into the "sources" folder in the Windows 11 directory. When you run the setup, it should check to see if it is capable for Windows 10 and not 11.

If you want to make this into an ISO, refer to the instructions in Method 1. 

Method 3: Install Windows 11 using DISM, DISKPART, and BCDBOOT (clean install only)

This method only requires a Windows 11 ISO. If you are trying to dual boot on the same hard drive, the partitioning steps will be different.

1. Boot your Windows 11 media

2. Open a command prompt window (You can do this by pressing Shift+F10)

3. Open diskpart by typing in "diskpart" in the command prompt window. If you are installing on BIOS, refer to the Legacy commands. If you are installing on UEFI, refer to the UEFI commands.

Legacy:

diskpart

sel dis 0

clean (this wipes your hard drive)

conv mbr

cre par prim size=100

form quick fs=ntfs label="System Reserved"

assign letter w

active

cre par prim

form quick

assign letter c

exit

UEFI:

diskpart

sel dis 0

clean (this wipes your hard drive)

conv gpt

cre par efi size=100

form quick fs=fat32 label="System Reserved"

assign letter w

active

cre par prim

form quick 

assign letter c

exit

4. After partitioning the drive, go to the sources folder by typing in "cd /d D:(where your Windows 11 media is)\sources

5. Type in the following commands:

dism /apply-image /imagefile:install.wim(.esd) /index:(1 for Home, 6 for Pro) /applydir:C:\

bcdboot C:\Windows /s W: /f ALL

bootrec /scanos

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

6. Now reboot. Windows setup will then continue normally. If it doesn't boot, run Startup Repair. 

Method 4: Install Windows with Rufus (clean install only??) (simple method) 

NOTE: You will need a USB flash drive for this method.

1. Get a Windows 11 ISO and a USB big enough for it.

2. Download Rufus. https://rufus.ie/en/#google_vignette

3. After downloading Rufus, open the application and connect the USB.

4. Click on "Select".  Select your Windows 11 ISO. 

5. Under image options, you will see three options: "Standard", "Extended", and "Windows To Go". Click on "Extended". This will bypass all of the additional Windows 11 requirements.

6. Click on "Start".

After the tool is finished making the ISO, if you want to make this into an ISO, refer to the instructions in Method 1. 

Edited by GD 2W10

• 3 weeks later...

@GD 2W10
Pleased to report that I managed to install Windows 11 on my 12 year old motherboard!
I got a Windows 11 ISO using the uupdump.net procedure detailed here, but it wouldn't install as it of course failed the system requirements check.
Thanks to your workaround detailed above, I managed to get around that and do a successful install, which seems to be working fine!
It had to be a clean install, so I'm not using it seriously yet, and it will be a long time before I will, but good to find that it is possible to update even on my old hardware.
Gives me something new to play with anyway!
:thumbup

9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

@GD 2W10
Pleased to report that I managed to install Windows 11 on my 12 year old motherboard!
I got a Windows 11 ISO using the uupdump.net procedure detailed here, but it wouldn't install as it of course failed the system requirements check.
Thanks to your workaround detailed above, I managed to get around that and do a successful install, which seems to be working fine!
It had to be a clean install, so I'm not using it seriously yet, and it will be a long time before I will, but good to find that it is possible to update even on my old hardware.
Gives me something new to play with anyway!
:thumbup

wonder if you managed get gpu working with it proper? Windows 11 is picky from gpu and needs dx12 compatible one

Basically, reading the requirements, if GPU comes with Win10 specific driver (WDDM 2.0 <==), it'll work, but otherwise, I assume one is stuck with Basic Display Adapter. I know for certain Win10 can load WDDM 1.1 drivers.

Direct3D 12 supports 11_0 feature level, so that allows driving graphics through D3D12 library on GPU that only supports features of D3D11, so 12 specific features aren't available then.

19 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Windows 11 found and installed a driver for my Nvidia Quadro 2000 absolutely fine, it's working just as it does on Windows 10.
:yes:

good to know. I personally wont use Windows 11 but some peoples will likely want upgrade to it even got older but still powerful hw (believe or not some got very similar old workstation hw as you do) and know atleast for it now it can be done unless ms hard codes requiment to kernel level.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

On 8/1/2021 at 6:08 PM, GD 2W10 said:

These are methods that can be found anywhere on the internet, but I wanted to post it here. With this tutorial you should be able to install Windows 11 on any PC that supports Windows 10 x64.

Method 1 (recommended as I have not tried the second method) (any builds as of the time of writing works):

1. Get a Windows 10 x64 ISO. You can do this with the Media Creation Tool, or with Windows ISO Downloader.

2. Copy the contents of the ISO to a folder. Go to sources and delete "install.wim" or "install.esd".

3. Get a Windows 11 ISO

Method 2 (works with only builds 21996 and before I think, you can try other builds if you want):

1. Get a Windows 11 ISO. 

2. Copy the contents of the ISO to a folder. Go to sources and delete "appraisesres.dll"

3. Get a Windows 10 x64 ISO. You can do this with the Media Creation Tool, or with Windows ISO Downloader.

4. Mount the Windows 10 x64 ISO.

5. Go to the sources folder, and copy "appraisesres.dll" to the sources folder into the Windows 10 ISO.

6. Paste the file into the "sources" folder in the Windows 11 directory. When you run the setup, it should check to see if it is capable for Windows 10 and not 11.

Method 3 (upgrade method) (works with all Windows 10 and 11 builds at the time of writing)

1. Get and extract a Windows 10 1507 or 1511 ISO. Any Windows 10 ISOs that were made later will NOT work. 

(note: steps 2-5 only need to be completed on Windows 10 or higher, if you are on Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 you can move on to step 6)

2. Right click "setup.exe", then click "Troubleshoot compatibility"

3. Click on "Use recommended settings". This will set the compatibility to Windows 8. 

4. Click on "Test program". It will give you a UAC prompt, but click No.

5. Click on "Yes, save these settings". Then close the troubleshooter.

6. In a Run prompt, type in "setup.exe /noreboot"

7. Go through the setup normally as if you were upgrading, after it closes get the Windows 11 ISO.

8. Go to (insert drive letter):\sources and copy install.wim. Go to C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources and replace the file already there with the one from the Windows 11 ISO.

9. Reboot, then setup will continue.

10. Everything should continue normally until you get into a boot loop.

11. When that happens, boot into setup, load the SYSTEM registry hive, change the Cmdline to "cmd.exe or oobe\msoobe.exe" and set all values (except for Upgrade) to 0.

12. After that, either you will be brought to the login screen, or you will be on the OOBE screen.

13. Once you are at the desktop, your files will probably not migrate, so you will have to manually migrate by copying the files.

UPDATE: Added a third method.

Am I missing something? Isn't it easier to create a Windows 11 iso or USB stick using Rufus Version 3.17 (Build 1846) and the directions here rather than the numerous steps outlined above. Or is there some advantage to the longer procedures? I tried Rufus for my first Windows 11 clean install on a non-compliant PC and it worked like a charm. The Windows 11 ISO l created even played nice with the Windows 10 answer file I used  to define, passwords, users and other settings for the clean install.

Edited by BYTE-ME

5 hours ago, BYTE-ME said:

Am I missing something? Isn't it easier to create a Windows 11 iso or USB stick using Rufus Version 3.17 (Build 1846) and the directions here rather than the numerous steps outlined above. Or is there some advantage to the longer procedures? I tried Rufus for my first Windows 11 clean install on a non-compliant PC and it worked like a charm. The Windows 11 ISO l created even played nice with the Windows 10 answer file I used  to define, passwords, users and other settings for the clean install.

I have never heard of this. I guess it would be, but the first method I posted seems to be easy as well. I will update and add this to the first post, but first I need to test it out to see how it works so I can post steps on how to do it.

Edited by GD 2W10

@GD 2W10. For me, performing a clean Windows 11 install was pretty much like the procedure I posted here for Windows 10. I think Rufus adds the benefit of automating the deletion of the "appraisesres.dll" that's used to block unsupported hardware installs. But it could be more involved than that. In any event, it worked for me.

Edited by BYTE-ME

4 hours ago, BYTE-ME said:

@GD 2W10. For me, performing a clean Windows 11 install was pretty much like the procedure I posted here for Windows 10. I think Rufus adds the benefit of automating the deletion of the "appraisesres.dll" that's used to block unsupported hardware installs. But it could be more involved than that. In any event, it worked for me.

Yes I know that is one way to do so, I have listed a similar method by taking the file from the Windows 10 ISO and using it with the Windows 11 ISO.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:08 PM, GD 2W10 said:

These are methods that can be found anywhere on the internet, but I wanted to post it here. With this tutorial you should be able to install Windows 11 on any PC that supports Windows 10 x64.

Method 1 (recommended as I have not tried the second method) (any builds as of the time of writing works):

3. Get a Windows 11 ISO

You might be able to do an upgrade if you used a Windows 10 1507 or 1511 ISO and used the Windows 8 compatibility mode trick (mentioned in Method 3), but I haven't fully tested it yet.

Method 2 (upgrade method) (best method):

1. Get a Windows 11 ISO. 

2. Copy the contents of the ISO to a folder. Go to sources and delete "appraisesres.dll"

3. Get a Windows 10 x64 ISO. You can do this with the Media Creation Tool, or with Windows ISO Downloader.

4. Mount the Windows 10 x64 ISO.

5. Go to the sources folder, and copy "appraisesres.dll" to the sources folder into the Windows 10 ISO.

6. Paste the file into the "sources" folder in the Windows 11 directory. When you run the setup, it should check to see if it is capable for Windows 10 and not 11.

UPDATE: Removed the third method. It is unnecessary because there can be problems with it and the second method works with any Windows 11 build. 

• 4 months later...

Using a custom autounattend.xml file is another fairly simple way to to install Windows 11 on "unsupported" hardware.

Placing the answer file, below, in the Root of your Windows 11 install medium will bypass the checks for Trusted Platform Module or TPM, Secure Boot and memory and storage requirements. The answer file will also create a "Main" user whose name and password you are encouraged to change. You must also search for the KMS key for your windows version and substitute it for every instance of "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-3V66T" in this file. 
Other modification you may or may not wish to use are annotated in the file script comments, e.g. <!-- COMMENT-->.

NOTE: You still must do disk partitioning and formatting prior to installing Windows. But if you create PID.txt and ei.cfg files and place them in  
the Windows "sources" folder on your install medium, Windows 11 setup should otherwise not require user input.

<!--*************************************************
REV: 04/24/2022
USER: XXXXXX
NOTES: Admin Windows 11 Answer File
RETAIL KMS: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-3V66T
OVER VERSION'S KMS: https://winaero.com/windows-11-generic-keys-for-all-editions
Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/desktop/unattend
           https://www.elevenforum.com/t/sharing-some-helpful-answer-files-to-bypass-win-11-setup-requirements-and-more.3300
           http://www.windowsafg.com
**************************************************-->
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
	<settings pass="windowsPE">
    <!--Language-->
	<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
			<SetupUILanguage>
				<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
			</SetupUILanguage>
			<InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale>
			<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
			<UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>
			<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
	</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
               <!--Skip Trusted Platform Module / Secure Boot Check-->
            <RunSynchronous>
                <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                    <Order>1</Order>
                    <Path>reg add HKLM\System\Setup\LabConfig /v BypassTPMCheck /t reg_dword /d 0x00000001 /f</Path>
                </RunSynchronousCommand>
                    <Order>2</Order>
                    <Path>reg add HKLM\System\Setup\LabConfig /v BypassSecureBootCheck /t reg_dword /d 0x00000001 /f</Path>
                </RunSynchronousCommand>
                    <Order>3</Order>
                    <Path>reg add HKLM\System\Setup\LabConfig /v BypassRAMCheck /t reg_dword /d 0x00000001 /f</Path>
                </RunSynchronousCommand>
                    <Order>5</Order>
                    <Path>reg add HKLM\System\Setup\LabConfig /v BypassCPUCheck /t reg_dword /d 0x00000001 /f</Path>
                </RunSynchronousCommand>
                    <Order>4</Order>
                    <Path>reg add HKLM\System\Setup\LabConfig /v BypassStorageCheck /t reg_dword /d 0x00000001 /f</Path>
                </RunSynchronousCommand>
            </RunSynchronous>
<UserData>
	<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
		<FullName>MainUser</FullName>
		<Organization>Default</Organization>
<!-- OEM Installer Product ID Key. Do not change/uncomment-->
    <ProductKey>
        <Key>XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-3V66T</Key>
    </ProductKey>
</UserData>
</component>
</settings>
<!-- Skip EULA OEM Installer-->
<settings pass="offlineServicing">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-LUA-Settings" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<EnableLUA>false</EnableLUA>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
<UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>
<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP-UX" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SkipAutoActivation>true</SkipAutoActivation>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-SQMApi" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <!--
                     CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM:
                     MS collects information about your hardware,
                     software and services to identify usage patterns.
                     0=Disabled 1=Enabled
                 -->
<CEIPEnabled>0</CEIPEnabled>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<ComputerName>PC-NAME</ComputerName>
<ProductKey>XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-3V66T</ProductKey>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<!--Auto Logon-->
<AutoLogon>
<Password>
	<Value>ADD-MY-PASSWOR-HERE</Value>
		<PlainText>true</PlainText>
	</Password>
		<Enabled>true</Enabled>
	   <LogonCount>4</LogonCount>
	<Username>MainUser</Username>
</AutoLogon>
<!--Auto Logon-->
<OOBE>
<!--Customize Windows Out of Box Experience-->
<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
	<HideOEMRegistrationScreen>true</HideOEMRegistrationScreen>
	<HideOnlineAccountScreens>true</HideOnlineAccountScreens>
	<HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
	<NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
	<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
	<SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>
	<UnattendEnableRetailDemo>false</UnattendEnableRetailDemo>
                <!--
                    PROTECT YOUR PC
                    1 = Recommended level of protection for your computer.
                    2 = Only updates are installed.
                    3 = Disable automatic protection.
                -->
	<ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>
</OOBE>
<UserAccounts>
<!--User Accounts-->
    <LocalAccounts>
        <LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
			<Name>MainUser</Name>
			<Group>Administrators</Group>
		<Password>
            <Value>ADD-MY-PASSWORD-HERE</Value>
            <PlainText>true</PlainText>
            </Password>          
            <DisplayName>Main User Name</DisplayName>
         <Description>MAIN USER</Description>
	</LocalAccount>
</UserAccounts>
<RegisteredOrganization>Default</RegisteredOrganization>
	<RegisteredOwner>Default</RegisteredOwner>
	<DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet>false</DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet>
<FirstLogonCommands>
<SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
	<Description>Control Panel View</Description>
		<Order>1</Order>
	<CommandLine>reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel" /v StartupPage /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f</CommandLine>
		<RequiresUserInput>true</RequiresUserInput>
</SynchronousCommand>
<!-- Set Control Panel icons small-->
	<Order>2</Order>
		<Description>Control Panel Icon Size</Description>
	<RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput>
		<CommandLine>reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel" /v AllItemsIconView /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f</CommandLine>
</SynchronousCommand>
<!-- Set User Password Never Expires-->
<Order>3</Order>
<RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput>
<CommandLine>cmd /C wmic useraccount where name="MainUser" set PasswordExpires=false</CommandLine>
<Description>Password Never Expires</Description>
</SynchronousCommand>
</FirstLogonCommands>
<!-- Set Time Zone-->
<TimeZone>FLE Standard Time</TimeZone>
</component>
</settings>
</unattend>

Edited by BYTE-ME