NoScript page load/rendering

So I updated my profile today and upgraded my NoScript 11.2.4.0 to 11.2.10.0.

Thouroughly unimpressed!

For example, when you load MSFN with a clean cache, the page displays "while" it is loading.

You get the broken menu and a long list of menu items because the menu hasn't fully loaded yet but the browser is trying to render what portions have loaded.

Reminds me of how Opera had a setting to display pages "instantly" or after 1 second and pages would just "look better" if you told Opera to WAIT 1sec before displaying the page.

Watching the page "flow" into existence while resources are loading is a bit "tacky" in my opinion.

Confirmed by reverting back to 11.2.4.0 and the "page flow" went away.

Upgraded again to 11.2.10.0 and the "page flow" tackiness returned.

Anyone else notice this issue with the latest NoScript?

Maybe it's something that showed up in a version somewhere between 11.2.4.0 and 11.2.10.0?

Edited by ArcticFoxie

NoScript is my daily protection shield against troublesome webpages. But after some updates, the user interface looked bad and as I have no CPU power to waste, staying with Version 5.1.9 worked better. Maybe your browser can support that version? You still can get it from the NoScript homepage. ( https://noscript.net/getit )

Although what could NoScript have to do with the moment of the page loading? Is there really a connection?

It's not really about the moment of the page loading, but the manner in which it renders.

I followed the Scientific Method six times (ie, I only changed one variable [NoScript version, same profile otherwise and same NoScript settings] and the "page flow rendering" exists in 11.2.10.0 and in 11.2.9.0 but does not exist in 11.2.4.0.

For the time being, I have reverted to 11.2.4.0 - may try legacy 5.1.9 later as NoScript is the only extension I use that takes up so much memory that it shows up in the browser's Task Manager.

I started googling around for this issue and there have been several reports that seems to isolate it to cap_unchecked_css and reports that it actually started with 11.2.4.0 on some web sites (the most-often cited is gmx.de) and these users reverted to 11.2.3.0.

I do use the legacy 5.1.9 for my MyPal and NM browsers, but I think I'll stick with 11.2.4.0 for my Chromium browsers but will drop down to 11.2.3.0 if I see this happening more often (I don't get this with 11.2.4.0 but other users report that they do).

I do get the "page flow lag" here - https://www.gmx.net/

Will revisit later today with 11.2.3.0 instead of with 11.2.4.0.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

I guess there are multiple factors involved with this issue. I don't see it as described with Edge 92 and NoScript 11.2.9. Not sure how I'd see it since sites load really quick.

My sites load really quick also but there's no way to NOT see it when this happens.

Might only take 1.5 to 2.5 seconds for a page to load but when 0.5 seconds of that looks like the below, you track it down and fix it :puke:

It IS the newer versions of NoScript that cause this, another very bad "flow-render" site is Dropbox.

Below is this very forum loading under NoScript 11.2.10.0.

It will look like the below for 0.5 seconds, then it will turn into MSFN's dark gray background for 0.5 seconds but still have a bunch of line-item jump-to-content dots, then a random user's avatar will display, then the portions that are supposed to be white versus dark gray turn to white, then the dots go away, then the page looks correct - eventually.

When you can "see" all of that "unfold", it really does look like CRAP even if for only 2.5 seconds of my day.

Me personally can do without that UGLY 0.5 to 2.5 seconds, so I've dropped my NoScript down to 11.2.3.0 where none of this occurs on any of the websites that I've seen it occur on while using the "newer" versions.

Proving once again, newer is not always better :ph34r:

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Come to find out, this happens ALL OVER THE PLACE with NoScript 11.2.4.0 also.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but now that I've dropped down to 11.2.3.0, holy crap is it noticeable on just how many cites used to have a very ugly flow-render (don't really know what else to call it).

Several news cites would display a Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram icon that took up the ENTIRE SCREEN for a split-second while the page was undergoing "flow-render".

I never really thought too much about it originally because I remember the days where Opera had a setting to specifically work around "flow-render" (you could set to display pages "instantly" and witness "flow-render" or you could set at 1sec or higher and never have to see the "flow-render").

It's always on web sites that have top-of-page "banner menus".

It's funny to discover you've been plagued by something you didn't even know was a plague.

@ArcticFoxie

You can use a little trick to make noticing these things easier:

d9Lfozw.png

Where do you get the older versions of NoScript? I downloaded noscript-11.2.3.zip from the releases at GitHub, and although it got installed in your version of 360Chrome, there are a ton of errors shown when you click the "Errors" link in the extension manager.

P.S. why does the damn forum always move whatever i wrote AFTER a spoiler into the spoiler itself, ugh?!

Edited by RainyShadow

10 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I have mostly dropped using of noscript in favor of ematrix (umatrix fork for palemoon). It gives much greater control over scripts and and anything else and also works per site basis

Agreed, I use uMatrix in addition to NoScript as opposed to instead of.

Can't say as I remember "why", per se.

3 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

@ArcticFoxie

You can use a little trick to make noticing these things easier:

Hide contents

d9Lfozw.png

Where do you get the older versions of NoScript? I downloaded noscript-11.2.3.zip from the releases at GitHub, and although it got installed in your version of 360Chrome, there are a ton of errors shown when you click the "Errors" link in the extension manager.

Did not know about that Fast 3G and Slow 3G preset, interesting...

I pull older versions from https://www.crx4chrome.com/crx/152403/

I always pull .crx files and manually install after I remove their "first run connections" (web browsers aren't the only thing to make 'first run connections'), their "description" so as to keep my Extensions Manager free of clutter, and I also axe all language files except "en".  Started doing that when one of the extensions I used to use had a "childish developer" that didn't take donations, but accepted free beers, I have no desire to read an extensions about-page and hear talk of free beers!  But to each their own...

19 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I have mostly dropped using of noscript in favor of ematrix (umatrix fork for palemoon). It gives much greater control over scripts and and anything else and also works per site basis

I am keeping it just for the xss, abe, clearclick and object (aka in other in umatrix, I think) blocking functions. I allow scripts globally (umatrix takes care of that, and tighten embedding and advanced options. I cannot be sure how much of all that works, but once in a while I get the odd warning, so I keep it. It "don't" hurt after all.