Should I keep Windows 11 or downgrade to 7/8/8.1/10?

GD 2W10

Well, with the release of Windows 11 22H2 (or 2022 Update) in September and this month's Patch Tuesday update, it has improved in terms of features (ex: tabbed file explorer) and stuff. It still hasn't reached the stability of 10 or 7, but if you want to use a good stable version of Windows, then sure, use 7/8/8.1/10. But then again, my computer, my choice, so it's up to you.

I personally would advise the OP downgrades. Windows 11 is an utter mess...

Seeing the computer is a 6th generation, the only options would really be Windows 7/8.1/10. As far as I know, Windows XP and Vista won't have full driver support. Windows XP driver support is hopeless unless someone knows how to backport and reverse engineer the drivers, Windows Vista is a gamble at best and may or may not work with Windows 7 drivers (it probably wouldn't work).

If I have to keep Windows, I would go with a stripped-down Windows 10 and use Linux. Linux is a lot more stable than Windows 10 in my opinion despite all its flaws.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

I've been using Windows 11 for the past 9 months and honestly, I don't mind it for what it is. 

Moving past the lack of customization options and how bland the UI looks overall...it's not horrible. Using ExplorerPatcher to return the toolbar to Windows 10 style and bringing back the original control panel version of System Properties helps make it more tolerable. I've pretty much gotten used to the new right click menu. Do I like it? It's alright...but not my favorite. I haven't really played with the tabs in explorer feature yet but I feel it's a bit of a mixed bag as well. It could help save taskbar space but then you have to remember if you have several explorer windows open, which one you may have utilized the tab in. And I'm not sure how that would affect dragging and dropping files either.

Either way, Windows 11 feels a bit more stable in my opinion and feels like it has a bit more polish to it as if Microsoft is focusing more of their attention on Windows 11 than on Windows 10. Still, I'm not sure how I feel about these rolling releases. I'm still used to and prefer Service Packs. It felt like with Service Packs, it actually fixed problems rather than introducing a host of new ones. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels as if these new rolling releases are only half tested, and we're supposed to test them out ourselves and provide feedback based on them. But I'm on the new 22H2 release and even though my processor isn't supported (early 7th gen on laptop and 2nd gen on desktop), I haven't run into any major issues and honestly, not many minor issues either. I think my biggest complaint though is how working with default applications works. It hasn't been that awesome since Windows 7, Windows 10 is okay but Windows 11....took it about 50 steps backwards. 

But to wrap this up, I read an article in which one of the developers said that they were really excited about the release of Windows 11 and that it was on the same level of excitement as the release of Windows 95...I'm yet to see this excitement and just feel as though this is another update as in updating Windows Vista to Windows 7, it feels more like a Service Pack rather than a whole new version.

On 11/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, WinGlass said:

Windows, then sure, use 7

I tried fully updated Windows 7 64 on a board with H110 chipset and it couldn't properly handle the idle states of the CPU.

It was stuck at 1800MHZ or so, while it should go all the way down to 800MHZ.  Also, standby mode didn't work at all.

So my advice - no to windows 7.

Weirdly enough, 32-bit Vista worked fine, and the 64-bit version is obviously a no go 'cause of the "startup bug".

It's true that Suspension is not working in Vista x64, but as an alternative it is possible to enable ibernation. Moreover, there's no 32 bit Extended Kernel for Vista,. Regarding 32 bit Windows, if I need to choose a 32 bit version I never will choose anything newer than XP. I really consider XP 32 bit much better than Vista or newer 32 bit Windows. Regarding 64 bit Windows, XP is a good choice, if you have good luck finding good drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 4:06 AM, frienpp said:

Excuse me, how you got XP work under Ryzen 4800U? I cant make it go hardware acceleration on 7

With FreelDR , BOOTVID from Reactos, ACPI Driver mod from this forum only

NVME Driver and storeport from Server2003

GPU driver is absence https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbemp.htm

GPU acceleration is not their for time being, if some one can write a Kernel Mode Driver [Winsys] , it is possible to use MESA on XP and 7 but thats in Future.

Edited by Dibya