Should I keep Windows 11 or downgrade to 7/8/8.1/10?

GD 2W10

Hi,

I am currently running Windows 11 build 22000 on my HP Elitebook 840 G3. I have experienced a lot of problems, such as if I am AFK for a long time, the computer will shut off completely. Also explorer is very buggy. Should I go to 7/8/8.1/10, or should I keep 11?

I personally have not tried 11 yet.

In order of personal preference, others may have a different order --

XP x64 Professional

XP x86 Professional

Win 7 Enterprise x86

Win 10 LTSB x86

Win 10 LTSB x64

But if you ask 50 different people, you are likely to get 50 different answers.

That depends on personal preference and nobody can answer it. If you want to be guinea pig for Microsoft and do QA team work without payment on production system then go ahead and use Windows 11. If you want stable OS without constant changes use anything but Windows 10 or 11 (unless LTSB).

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

16 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

Hi,

I am currently running Windows 11 build 22000 on my HP Elitebook 840 G3. I have experienced a lot of problems, such as if I am AFK for a long time, the computer will shut off completely. Also explorer is very buggy. Should I go to 7/8/8.1/10, or should I keep 11?

Hello,

If you feel downgrading would solve almost everything you encounter, then go ahead. No one is stopping you from doing so. It's your choice.

Plus, I think the problem about being AFK for a long time and the computer shuts down automatically can be solved if you have the power options set like this:

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, TigTex said:

Minimum requirements are an intel CPU from the 8th gen. Yours if from the 6th gen.

some 6th gen cpus matches performance of 8th gen intel cpu and that requiment is artificial by for needing that TPM chip for no good reason. I know Windows 11 been running fine on 2007 dual xeon board since @Dave-H mentioned from it on another topic.

Whole system requiment thing is to milk off more from users

Sure. But it's unsupported. Expect all kind of problems (or not! your experience may be different).

For every piece of equipment there's a specific OS. You wouldn't install windows XP on a pentium MMX (but it runs!) just like you should not install windows 11 on a 6th gen cpu (but it runs!). Keep on using windows 10 because it's supported out of the box, it's still supported by microsoft and should provide a better overall experience

Remember, you don't use the OS, you use the applications. Chrome on windows 11 is still chrome.

Edited by TigTex

1 hour ago, TigTex said:

Keep on using windows 10 because it's supported out of the box

Hopefully won't happen again, but I've read here somewhere MS did put some unconditional SSE2 code in one of XP or POSReady 2009 updates (likely the latter), so people with older CPUs had problems and had to uninstall it.

• 7 months later...
On 10/18/2021 at 4:02 AM, TigTex said:

Sure. But it's unsupported. Expect all kind of problems (or not! your experience may be different).

For every piece of equipment there's a specific OS. You wouldn't install windows XP on a pentium MMX (but it runs!) just like you should not install windows 11 on a 6th gen cpu (but it runs!). Keep on using windows 10 because it's supported out of the box, it's still supported by microsoft and should provide a better overall experience

Remember, you don't use the OS, you use the applications. Chrome on windows 11 is still chrome.

My ryzen 7 4800U is fully supported yet it doesnt work well on 11 , buggy as hell , back to 10 and I am happy , triple booting with ubuntu and XP

• 5 months later...
On 5/27/2022 at 4:03 PM, Dibya said:

My ryzen 7 4800U is fully supported yet it doesnt work well on 11 , buggy as hell , back to 10 and I am happy , triple booting with ubuntu and XP

Excuse me, how you got XP work under Ryzen 4800U? I cant make it go hardware acceleration on 7

Edited by frienpp