360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

.. If you were trying to be funny there (with an overly generous dose of sarcasm on top of it ;) ), I can tell you I was not amused (but I, no doubt, expect some other members were -_- ... ) .

@VistaLover! The prevoius post was not meant to be funny, and there is and was no dose of sarcasm:no: I have the greatest respect for you and always enjoy the detailed analyses you disseminate here. And, you actually should know that, hopefully! :yes: When I wrote about Advanced Chrome, I did not find information about the special XP compatible version 54 on its homepage anymore. Therefore, I searched in our forum and saw the string Chrome 49/52/54. It was my mistake not reading deeply your comment, which means I misread your statement. And, as I already stated, my next mistake was not using the Wayback Machine. Anyway, I have the greatest respect for you, appreciate your expertises and knowledge, which is rather rare in this forum.
I am beginning to fear you have somehow totally misunderstood my comment. My conclusion: Either my English was not good enough, causing you to totally misunderstand me, or you read my comment with a misguided intention. Anyway, we are all human and subject to an age-old rule, which is: Errare humanum est. The old Romans were wise and already knew that! By the way, I am also well over 50 and know very well the problem with age-related memory. :realmad:

Kindest regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 9/26/2022 at 7:14 AM, VistaLover said:

(My own translation: 'In the past, perhaps many years ago, it's possible we (in China) were using DST... But only really old people would now know/remember that...')

Well, according to on-line sources:
https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/china
DST was last observed in China during 1991 (31 years ago); the clocks were put back 1hr on Sept 15th 1991 (to CST = GMT+0800), never to move again since ;) ...

Later edit, possibly off-topic :P: I'm not "old old" myself :), still old enough to remember that over here (Greece) DST would be applied for ca. 6 months (end of March through to end of September) until the year 1995; in an effort to "save" :whistle: even more daylight, starting in 1996, DST was extended to 7 months ("fall back" at the end of October) ...

I don't known who and why used DST,if the sunrise time is diffrent in summer and winter, why we don't change our worktime?

In China, some large company and goverment used diffrent worktime in sumer and winter

6 hours ago, hidao said:

I don't known who and why used DST,if the sunrise time is diffrent in summer and winter, why we don't change our worktime?

In China, some large company and goverment used diffrent worktime in sumer and winter

Windows is basically able to switch summer and winter time by itself automatically. The user do not have to do that manually. This works with most applications except 360Chrome which has obviously a DST problem in Windows XP:)

Edited by AstroSkipper

Just to chime in now I'm back from being away for six days, my 360Chrome is now again showing the correct day as 'today'.
How long this will last for remains to be seen!
As expected though, the timestamp on all the entries is an hour out.
:)

You can certainly load them from .crx files, I've done it several times.
You have to be in developer mode to see the extra buttons.
It may be that just dragging the file to the extensions window may work, I can't remember.
:yes:

My history has now gone wrong again, that didn't last long!
:no:

Clipboard-1.png.107d0fc4d2e25c3cbe484a181f0d7f73.png

As you can see, I now have two (identical) entries for Sunday, October 2nd, and no entry for the current day, Monday, October 3rd.
:(

3 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Is it possible in 360 browsers to load an extension from unzipped file?

Ciao carissimo amico! :hello:
Of course it is, via either "chrome://extensions/" or "chrome://myextensions/", when "Developer mode" has been "ticked":

z6cDzaq.jpg

Clicking the "Load unpacked" button will open a "Directory Selection Popup", where you have to select (point it to) the dir containing the unzipped Chromium extension to be installed... ;)

Saluti :)

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

My history has now gone wrong again, that didn't last long!

As I have proposed in a previous post, change your computer's time (in just the Windows XP partition, of course) to one of the available "GMT+01:00" variants, making sure you deselect "Automatically adjust clock for DST"; you may have to reboot XP for that to take full effect; ALL of your browsers on XP will then display the correct BST time!

When BST ends (last Sunday of October 2022, i.e. on the 30th), you'll have to re-adjust XP's timezone back to GMT+00:00; it has been established, beyond doubt, that 360EE versions, on WinXP specifically, can't pick up the DST offset from the OS (even when that is correctly set) - not the case for Mozilla Firefox based browsers and some older Chromium-based ones ... :P

I do understand the DST problem in 360Chrome, and as you'd expect, it's recording all the history items an hour adrift.
That's not a big problem as far as I'm concerned, and I can't see any problem anywhere else.
What I don't understand is why it won't display the history for the current day, and thinks that 'yesterday is today'!
Surely the DST problem wouldn't cause that?
Even more puzzling is how it seems to come good sometimes for a day or two, and then goes wrong again.
I will wait and see what happens at the end of the month when we revert to GMT.
The first problem I would expect to disappear, but the second one, I don't know!
:dubbio:

27 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Surely the DST problem wouldn't cause that?
(redacted)
I will wait and see what happens at the end of the month when we revert to GMT.

I'm not convinced the DST discrepancy "issue" is unrelated to your "history" predicament inside 360EE :dubbio:...
Please, as a courtesy, don't wait until BST ends, as it'll be too late then to check any "theory" around this :( ...
Do now what I instructed you to do:

49 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

change your computer's time (in just the Windows XP partition, of course) to one of the available "GMT+01:00" variants, making sure you deselect "Automatically adjust clock for DST"; you may have to reboot XP for that to take full effect; ALL of your browsers on XP will then display the correct BST time!

, wait for 4-5 days and report back!
You stand to lose absolutely nothing from this "test" :P !

Cheers :)

Edited by VistaLover

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

Ciao carissimo amico! :hello:
Of course it is, via either "chrome://extensions/" or "chrome://myextensions/", when "Developer mode" has been "ticked":

z6cDzaq.jpg

Clicking the "Load unpacked" button will open a "Directory Selection Popup", where you have to select (point it to) the dir containing the unzipped Chromium extension to be installed... ;)

Saluti :)

Hello my friend.
How is everything going well?:hello:

Good.:thumbup
At least you have a chance to save your favorite MV2 extensions in your pc.
Which if not upgraded to MV3 sooner or later (January 2024 at the latest) will be removed from the Chrome Web Store:

https://developer.chrome.com/blog/more-mv2-transition/

Have you checked if the MV3 extensions work in 360?

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

8 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I'm not convinced the DST discrepancy "issue" is unrelated to your "history" predicament inside 360EE :dubbio:...
Please, as a courtesy, don't wait until BST ends, as it'll be too late then to check any "theory" around this :( ...
Do now what I instructed you to do:

, wait for 4-5 days and report back!
You stand to lose absolutely nothing from this "test" :P !

Cheers :)

OK, I've switched off the automatic DST adjustment, and set my timezone to Paris (where I've just been on holiday!)
Everything looks fine, and as expected 360Chrome is now showing the correct timestamp for history entries.
I'll let you know if it gets rid of the 'incorrect today' issue too, it's OK at the moment!
:yes:

On 10/3/2022 at 6:06 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Have you checked if the MV3 extensions work in 360?

Manifest version 3 (aka MV3) requires Chromium APIs first implemented in Chromium 88; if you're not yet aware, all 3 varieties of the 360EE browser popular with the XP and Vista retro-computing communities are based on Chromium versions less than 88:
v11: Chromium 69
v12: Chromium 78
v13.x (x=0 or 5): 86

The deprecation and future removal of MV2-based Chrome extensions from the CWS will effectively KILL extensions for all flavours of 360EE compatible with XP/Vista... :realmad:

On 10/3/2022 at 6:06 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

At least you have a chance to save your favorite MV2 extensions in your pc.
Which, if not upgraded to MV3 sooner or later (January 2024 at the latest), will be removed from the Chrome Web Store:

If the retro-computing communities are to undertake an MV2-based-extension salvation venture, then, most sadly, the deadline will end much sooner, possibly in June 2023:

In June 2023, the Chrome Web Store will no longer allow Manifest V2 items to be published with visibility set to Public. All existing Manifest V2 items with visibility set to Public at that time will have their visibility changed to Unlisted.

"Unlisted visibility" means that a specific MV2 extension can't be searched for or easily retrieved from within the CWS, unless you know beforehand its exact CWS URI/id... :realmad:

But I'm mot surprised; Google are known to leave only "scorched ground" behind them... They're adamant at destroying everything "older", of course for "our own interest" :( ... 

I guess it's like Mozilla wiping out all XUL/jetpack/'legacy" extensions from AMO all over again (but this time, on the Google side of things ;) ...); in the case of Mozilla, we fortunately have CAA (Classic-Addons-Archive), but in the case of Google, what? (currently, nothing!) ...

Edited by VistaLover

On 9/18/2021 at 4:37 AM, Humming Owl said:

@NoBuggingPlz

I have seen something that could help with respect to the fonts displayed by the browser.

I want you to check in the Windows Registry the "FontFamily" value in the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/360chrome/default/ui_persist_value" path.

Regardless of the value I also want to know if you have the "Microsoft Sans Serif Normal" font installed on your OS and the version of it (you can check it by going in the "Control Panel > Fonts" path).

And also, are you running 360EE on WinXP?

I have the "Microsoft Sans Serif Normal" font installed on Windows XP and if I remove it and open the browser it displays another font (the "FontFamily" value for me is "Microsoft Sans Serif"). Maybe in your case the font isn't installed or it is an old version that the browser does not recognize.

Cheers. 

Aplogies for the late reply. Having met with an accident, I was out of action for the past several months.

1. FontFaimly value in registry is "Calibri"

2. "Microsoft Sans Serif" is installed in my OS

3. Running 360EE on WinXP

Thanks & Regards,

mgpai