360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

18 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Do you have examples of OTHER web browsers displaying emojis in the tab name?

You mean besides mainstream browsers most people use? roytam1's Serpent and New Moon, feodor2's Mypal 68 as well.

18 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

why would a web developer place an emoji in the tab name?

They may come from user generated content, eg. the posts on the following subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lifeisagift/

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

We need a TEST SITE for the tab font emojis.

How 'bout a full emoji library:

https://getemoji.com/

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

You mean besides mainstream browsers most people use?

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, agreed.

I'd have to see how an emoji-tab renders in an "official" Chromium versus Mozilla.  I do recall that Mozilla Roytam/Feodor adds an emoji font (TwemojiMozilla.ttf) because I always intentionally delete it.  Unsure if "official" adds this font.

I guess I'm just "used to" seeing little boxes here and there because I do prefer to block a crapload of unneeded fonts  :whistle:

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

9 hours ago, v3cv said:

I'm using a custom skin, but browser normally is the same.

Did you copy the contents of the "skin" folder of the older browser to this one? because the "About" menu showed:

9 hours ago, v3cv said:

is different from mine.

My suggestion, please use the browser with a clean profile (no "User Data" folder), without porting any files and then tell me if you encounter any errors with that. If you keep porting files between versions I can't tell what is going to happen.

5 hours ago, v3cv said:

It is fine, but I would want to change it to Segoe UI Symbol (in order to see more characters / emojis)

The developers of this browser intentionally hardcoded the default font to be a chinese one (among the list of default fonts). The only way I think a font can be added it is by adding the glyphs of other fonts into the chinese font so that they load when the browser loads.

9 hours ago, msquidpl said:

On the site you provided the icons work, but on the elektroda.pl forum they do not. On Chrome 87, but on Windows 7 they work without any problem. Interestingly, icons on forum.pclab.pl already work.

2022-04-14 10_52_55-Greenshot.png

2022-04-14 10_50_38-Greenshot.png

2022-04-14 10_52_46-Greenshot.png

Maybe it would be worth reporting this bug to the mantainers of the elektroda.pl page. Because the browser can handle the font on other sites.

Cheers.

Just now, NotHereToPlayGames said:

TwemojiMozilla.ttf

Must be some logic in Mozilla browsers mapping those codes to symbols in those fonts. Can't really install the font system wide to to have it automagically work with Chromium.

Just now, UCyborg said:

Must be some logic in Mozilla browsers mapping those codes to symbols in those fonts.

At least there's font.name-list.emoji pref specifying which fonts to use.

Guess what, I copied seguiemj.ttf from Win11 ISO->sources->install.wim->1->Windows->Fonts to my XP's C:\Windows\Fonts and now have most emojis in black & white on getemoji.com front page on XP on 360Chrome.

Just now, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I do recall that Mozilla Roytam/Feodor adds an emoji font (TwemojiMozilla.ttf) because I always intentionally delete it.  Unsure if "official" adds this font.

They do.

Edited by UCyborg

47 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Mozilla tends to handle more things on its own rather than depending on OS or its resources.

Agreed.  And at least with it, the end user can still modify parts of the GUI via Stylem (last I checked, that is).  One of my most GIGANTIC beefs against Chromium is that there is no TITLE BAR.

THANKFULLY Mypal 68 still has a Title Bar.  I still look forward to Mypal 68's "stable release".  It's really about the ONLY thing I see on the horizon that would get me to return to Mozilla-based.

1 hour ago, Humming Owl said:

Did you copy the contents of the "skin" folder of the older browser to this one? because the "About" menu showed:

Yes, I took it from my previous installation

2 minutes ago, v3cv said:

Yes, I took it from my previous installation

It is possible that your skin is causing your crashes.  It is not advisable to just "mix-and-match" files across different versions/builds/releases.  It's always amazed me how often these "mix-and-match" scenarios bring about their own issues that would not otherwise exist.

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

You mean besides mainstream browsers most people use? roytam1's Serpent and New Moon, feodor2's Mypal 68 as well.

They may come from user generated content, eg. the posts on the following subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lifeisagift/

How 'bout a full emoji library:

https://getemoji.com/

I have not install many fonts, so some emoji dose not display

hidao.org_2022-4-15_6-50-47.png

I tried Googleing but I guess I don't know where to look.

I am curious if having an "emoji" (non-standard font) as a "meta" character (title or tab name) is even "compliant" with official web standards?

Edit - To put it a different way, people often condescend Microsoft by calling them "Micro$oft", often condescend Google Chrome "functions" by calling them "Google-isms".

We also have "Chrome-isms" as a term often used by Mozilla Fans to condescend something that Chrome is capable of but that Mozilla lacks.

So my question is this - are "emojis" in the title bar (and the inclusion of an emoji font) just a "Mozilla-ism"?  Shouldn't that offend us just as much as a "Chrome-ism"?

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Either way, If I understand this correctly, it's all about the fonts. Natively, Windows 8.1 is supposed to be the minimum for colored font support, hence black & white appearance on older OS.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/directwrite/color-fonts

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66867069/emoji-display-black-and-white-windows7-chrome-edge

Edited by UCyborg

18 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Guess what, I copied seguiemj.ttf from Win11 ISO->sources->install.wim->1->Windows->Fonts to my XP's C:\Windows\Fonts and now have most emojis in black & white on getemoji.com front page on XP on 360Chrome.

thanks for that , works fine now.
had a little problem on xp installing fonts , file / install new font , was missing ...
restored that function with TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe.
after install , selected repair / repair font folder.
still black & white emoji's but at least they work now.