360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

Ouch!  I admit that this one comes as a slight shock!  I still "trust" 360Chrome and all of our telemetry removals, but this discovery indicates we have more to do.

I've been combing through a v11 rebuild with a fine-tooth comb and was looking to remove GUI "checkboxes" for features that do not work (ie, I already remove DNS-over-HTTPS from the GUI because this does not work in 360Chrome).

But instead found something present in all of my builds, in a @Dixel build he graciously shared privately (many thanks again), and in @Humming Owl builds.

SEVERAL of the "checkboxes" present in 360Chrome's settings pages simply do not do anything!

Below is a video of a screengrab using one of @Humming Owl's builds - note all of the "checkboxes" that are UNCHECKED.

There should NOT be any "prediction" stuff going on when these are UNCHECKED.

Watch the DNSQuerySniffer when I am typing text into the address bar, never hitting Enter, just typing text, backspacing, typing more text.

ALL versions of 360Chrome make DNS lookups when text is being typed in the address bar - this to me is a "suggestion" or a "prediction" but I have those "checkboxes" UNCHECKED/DISABLED.

Here's the screengrab video  --  https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp13acg6ie3cpwh/prediction-service.mp4

3 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I vote to remove them as I would never want to join their 'user experience plan' (so they can spy on me) and I wouldn't want a webservice to "predict" anything for me when I only type 2 letters. also, 

I keep them all unchecked ecxept for do not track. 

DNT (Do Not Track) is useless, in my opinion.  https://spreadprivacy.com/do-not-track/  https://www.fastcompany.com/90308068/how-the-tragic-death-of-do-not-track-ruined-the-web-for-everyone

Google, Facebook, and Twitter publicly disclose that they DO NOT adhere to "Do Not Track".

Do Not Track is about as foolproof as putting a sign on your front lawn that says “Please, don’t look into my house” while all of your blinds remain open and you dance naked in your living room.

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Ouch!  I admit that this one comes as a slight shock!  I still "trust" 360Chrome and all of our telemetry removals, but this discovery indicates we have more to do.

I've been combing through a v11 rebuild with a fine-tooth comb and was looking to remove GUI "checkboxes" for features that do not work (ie, I already remove DNS-over-HTTPS from the GUI because this does not work in 360Chrome).

But instead found something present in all of my builds, in a @Dixel build he graciously shared privately (many thanks again), and in @Humming Owl builds.

SEVERAL of the "checkboxes" present in 360Chrome's settings pages simply do not do anything!

Below is a video of a screengrab using one of @Humming Owl's builds - note all of the "checkboxes" that are UNCHECKED.

There should NOT be any "prediction" stuff going on when these are UNCHECKED.

Watch the DNSQuerySniffer when I am typing text into the address bar, never hitting Enter, just typing text, backspacing, typing more text.

ALL versions of 360Chrome make DNS lookups when text is being typed in the address bar - this to me is a "suggestion" or a "prediction" but I have those "checkboxes" UNCHECKED/DISABLED.

Here's the screengrab video  --  https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp13acg6ie3cpwh/prediction-service.mp4

I think this is related to the load of the icons of the pages you are typing in the URL bar. Try erasing the "icon" entry on the "omnibox_result_view.xml" file inside the "skin.srx" file.

Edited by Humming Owl

16 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

ps- I clean almost everything everything at close with this. 

[RunAfter]
FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\heavy_ad_intervention_opt_out
FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\Login Data
FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\previews_opt_out
FileDelete=%Profile%\Default\Sync360_V8.sqlite3

I do not delete these because they are re-created every time that a new browser session is launched.

I have not seen these ever get "updated" or "added to" from session to session.

By deleting these files, the computer just has to consume CPU cycles and HDD read/writes to recreate a file with each and every browser launch that is otherwise only created when a new profile is created.

edit:  I do not save passwords and clear cookies and cache on exit, otherwise I suspect that the "Login Data" file would get updated or added to from session to session.

But since it does not and I only show it created when a new profile is created, I just let it "sit there" instead of recreating it with each and every browser launch.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

9 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

I think this is related to the load of the icons of the pages you are typing in the URL bar. Try erasing the "icon" entry on the "omnibox_result_view.xml" file inside the "skin.srx" file.

That was it!  Good find!  Trial runs with and without that icon and I'm going to go ahead and keep it.

I just didn't like the idea of URL Suggestions or Prediction Services kicking in but this is not related to those features.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

@NoBuggingPlz

I have seen something that could help with respect to the fonts displayed by the browser.

I want you to check in the Windows Registry the "FontFamily" value in the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/360chrome/default/ui_persist_value" path.

Regardless of the value I also want to know if you have the "Microsoft Sans Serif Normal" font installed on your OS and the version of it (you can check it by going in the "Control Panel > Fonts" path).

And also, are you running 360EE on WinXP?

I have the "Microsoft Sans Serif Normal" font installed on Windows XP and if I remove it and open the browser it displays another font (the "FontFamily" value for me is "Microsoft Sans Serif"). Maybe in your case the font isn't installed or it is an old version that the browser does not recognize.

Cheers. 

Edited by Humming Owl

22 hours ago, Montana Slim said:

Sorry if this has been talked about already... but does this version of Chrome utilize DRM (digital rights management tech)?

I tried to find a test and only found this --> https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm

The test said that no DRM was used.

And in https://html5test.com/ says it has DRM support. :}

Edited by Humming Owl

On 9/16/2021 at 11:52 PM, XPerceniol said:

Ummm ... no apologies needed - I like your skin, but I did change it as it gets a bit hard on the eyes after a long time. But of course its your version - I'm only testing your builds atm,  and that was the only part not in English (other than my crazy typing Lol)

If you want , I can send you [I think I had said it a very long time ago] my version, not only it has a good dark theme , but with dark webpages (inverted) . Plays 4K on youtube [even wih XP] and has no russian language . With zero russians involved during the building process. Also , it can pretend to be an iphone without detection.

Due to my laziness, it still has minor English language misspellings. I should say they are more like a weird translation made by a non-native speaker. {but not russian , lol}

jpg to Rar.jpg

Edited by Dixel
Added this image

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

@Dixel build he graciously shared privately (many thanks again)

You're welcome  , enjoy !

Hi , I'm sorry ,  I can't find your post I've seen a bit earlier (where you showed us your XP network settings) . You do not need all that bloat you enabled (like client for Microsoft , etc), you only need TCP/IPv.6 or v.4 (depends on the ISP). I remember I suggested you to disable some junk services earlier , and you liked it , perhaps you will like this too. Have a nice day.

10 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

@NoBuggingPlz

I have seen something that could help with respect to the fonts displayed by the browser.

I want you to check in the Windows Registry the "FontFamily" value in the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/360chrome/default/ui_persist_value" path.

Regardless of the value I also want to know if you have the "Microsoft Sans Serif Normal" font installed on your OS and the version of it (you can check it by going in the "Control Panel > Fonts" path).

And also, are you running 360EE on WinXP?

I have the "Microsoft Sans Serif Normal" font installed on Windows XP and if I remove it and open the browser it displays another font (the "FontFamily" value for me is "Microsoft Sans Serif"). Maybe in your case the font isn't installed or it is an old version that the browser does not recognize.

Cheers. 

FontFamily value for me is 宋体

I can not change it.. it returns to the same value

Edited by kwisomialbert
edit

On 9/16/2021 at 10:06 PM, Humming Owl said:

I've opted to remove this from my builds afterall.

I like how it pulls your local favicon for a bookmarked URL but dislike it fetching an icon for www.am while I am in the process of typing www.amazon.com, as an example.