360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

@Humming Owl - Sorry for not saying anything sooner...I became inactive from the forum for a few days as far as posting, and that was so I could do some more browser testing. I tried all kinds of browsers, including older versions of Opera, Firefox, classic Chrome 49, and even the Otter Browser (unstable and crash-prone--I don't recommend it unless you need an Opera 12-esque browser with more modern capabilities). After a lot of trial and error, I've settled on New Moon 28 and your build of 360 v11.
360 v9.5 seems to have the capability of using experimental drafts of TLS 1.3, but I couldn't get them to work. On the other hand, v11 has the final draft of TLS 1.3 included, though it's not activated by default (a quick trip to chrome://flags solved that issue).
v12 is also fairly snappy on my old Pentium D, but v11 runs faster...it basically feels like a more advanced version of Chrome 49, similarly fast but more future-proof thanks to having TLS 1.3 and other modern features.
v9.5 is still a great option for ancient SSE2 processors (early Willamette-era P4, for example), but v11 is my favorite of the bunch for sure.

I will be using v11 from now on, but if I use a more powerful PC in the future and/or need to access a certain site that doesn't work well with v11 I'm always open to upgrading.
Thank you for all of your hard work...I'll be following your future releases closely!

Updated v9, v11, v12 and v13:

- A few UI changes.

- To avoid the login popup remnant at first startup I added a custom popup with instructions to change the theme (v12 and v13).

- Added Privacy Redirect to recommended extensions.

Cheers.

I've tried the "Privacy Redirect" extension and it works quite good to redirect YouTube videos to https://instances.invidious.io/

Invidious Github page --> https://github.com/iv-org/invidious

Documentation --> https://docs.invidious.io/Invidious-Instances.md

Extension (Chromium) --> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/privacy-redirect/pmcmeagblkinmogikoikkdjiligflglb

Here is a GreasyFork --> https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/370461-invidious-redirect

Cheers.

17 hours ago, cmccaff1 said:

@Humming Owl - Sorry for not saying anything sooner...I became inactive from the forum for a few days as far as posting, and that was so I could do some more browser testing. I tried all kinds of browsers, including older versions of Opera, Firefox, classic Chrome 49, and even the Otter Browser (unstable and crash-prone--I don't recommend it unless you need an Opera 12-esque browser with more modern capabilities). After a lot of trial and error, I've settled on New Moon 28 and your build of 360 v11.
360 v9.5 seems to have the capability of using experimental drafts of TLS 1.3, but I couldn't get them to work. On the other hand, v11 has the final draft of TLS 1.3 included, though it's not activated by default (a quick trip to chrome://flags solved that issue).
v12 is also fairly snappy on my old Pentium D, but v11 runs faster...it basically feels like a more advanced version of Chrome 49, similarly fast but more future-proof thanks to having TLS 1.3 and other modern features.
v9.5 is still a great option for ancient SSE2 processors (early Willamette-era P4, for example), but v11 is my favorite of the bunch for sure.

I will be using v11 from now on, but if I use a more powerful PC in the future and/or need to access a certain site that doesn't work well with v11 I'm always open to upgrading.
Thank you for all of your hard work...I'll be following your future releases closely!

Nice to know that, thanks for the info. Which flag did you activate?

I use v9 for my old laptop as I do not require heavy sites to load there. :P

Cheers.

@Humming Owl   FYI - in your v11 modification notes, you have the below entry -

- Offset (h) = 02a75c40

Replaced "http://chrome.360.cn/jump/switch_engine.html" entry by dots

("How to switch kernel" button link removal)

These were actually replaced by 00 hexadecimal values

edit:  I have not verified, but the same might be true for the Feedback, Home, Forum, and Weibo link removals.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

21 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

Nice to know that, thanks for the info. Which flag did you activate?

I use v9 for my old laptop as I do not require heavy sites to load there. :P

Cheers.

I tried to activate all of the flags, but none of them worked. Not sure if it's an XP issue or not, but even then I've actually upgraded back to v12. Time.com does not seem to work properly in v9.5 or v11--the homepage does load and you can access articles, but an article I tried to read would not load properly. I was able to read it in v12. I'm still going to hold off on v13 unless there's a site I need it for, but for now v12 gets the job done flawlessly.

1 hour ago, cmccaff1 said:

I tried to activate all of the flags, but none of them worked. Not sure if it's an XP issue or not, but even then I've actually upgraded back to v12. Time.com does not seem to work properly in v9.5 or v11--the homepage does load and you can access articles, but an article I tried to read would not load properly. I was able to read it in v12. I'm still going to hold off on v13 unless there's a site I need it for, but for now v12 gets the job done flawlessly.

Have you tried spoofing a newer version of Chromium (or even Firefox) with an UA switcher? I've seen some Firefox users using this method to load some sites they could not watch.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg?hl=es

https://developers.whatismybrowser.com/useragents/explore/software_name/chrome/

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

Have you tried spoofing a newer version of Chromium (or even Firefox) with an UA switcher? I've seen some Firefox users using this method to load some sites they could not watch.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg?hl=es

https://developers.whatismybrowser.com/useragents/explore/software_name/chrome/

Cheers.

Actually, yes! I did try to access the site with a Chrome 92 user agent, and it still wouldn't load the article. v12 and v13 work just fine with Time.com...thank you for your help!

I can recreate the time.com article issue in my own rebuild of v11 on XP.

I'm not far enough into my rebuild yet to test a few extensions but my hopes are for v11 to become my default-for-all (have already confirmed Google Voice, Google Sheets, Dropbox, MSFN, and YouTube - which have kind of become my "test sites").

v12 actually seems like the best balance of being able to render everything I throw at it (I don't do WebGL) yet being "lightweight".

v13 works 99% of the time for me.  But that 1% is too unpredictable and I moved on to v12 as my default-for-all.

v12 has been rock-solid, stable, efficient, and very light.

A few members have posted their comparisons of v12 and v11 and they prefer v11 - so I've opted to create my own v11 rebuild.

I'll add time.com to my list of test sites - the articles don't work in my in-process v11 so I can't make any promises.

But once I get uMatrix, Stylus, NoScript, and Tampermonkey loaded, there might be a "workaround" that will make time.com work, not sure yet.

edit:  I should rephrase that - v13 works 100% of the time.  But one crash in 30 days is too much for me so that's why I now run v12.

It was one thing when it was just on Never-Really-Use YouTube.  It was another altogether when I'd start typing a post here at MSFN, walk to the kitchen with half of a post typed out, return to find MSFN crashed v13.  Ugh!

Edited by ArcticFoxie

1 hour ago, cmccaff1 said:

Actually, yes! I did try to access the site with a Chrome 92 user agent, and it still wouldn't load the article. v12 and v13 work just fine with Time.com...thank you for your help!

Did you try going the other way with the User Agent?
Don't pick something "new" but pick something "old".

Disregard.

You will NOT get time.com to work using ANY user agent.

I get the same page from a "new" UA, an "old" UA, a mobile UA, an iPad UA, an iOS UA, a Mac UA, "old" Firefox, "new" Firefox, Opera, even an IE6 UA.

I've personally never witnessed a website until just now that served the same exact page to an IE6 UA that it serves to Firefox and even Mac.

Time.com is clearly NOT using UA and might be using other "techniques" too new for 360Chrome v11 (Chromium v69).

2 hours ago, cmccaff1 said:

Found it!

When you are browsing a time.com article on 360Chrome v11 (or v12/v13 with scripts disabled), open your Developer Tools (F12), scroll to the top of the Elements tab HTML code but below the "Time text cartoon", highlight the body line, then over in the Styles section UNCHECK the "position: fixed" entry.

Now the article will scroll in v11 (and in v12/v13 with scripts disabled).

Hope that helps.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

On 9/5/2021 at 9:47 PM, Humming Owl said:

You could try the following to see if they fix or avoid the issue:

- Disable hardware acceleration.

- Add the flag: --disable-gpu (I've had problems in Linux if I use the GPU in Chromium).

- Have you used the ViewTube extension? As it changes the YouTube player for another player such as VLC or WMP, that might do something.

- Use a YouTube frontend client from this page (I only tested one of them on Win7 but it was consuming less resources than running the video directly in YouTube) --> https://redirect.invidious.io/

And, can you send a screenshot of the "chrome://gpu/" page? (just of the "Graphics Feature Status" and "Problems Detected" sections) Maybe there is some information there that can be useful.

I've read in a Japanese forum that 360EE was having some issues in YouTube as well. The thread did not say anything on how to fix it. There may be some more possible workarounds (I think the most convenient way is using flags) but for now try these options.

Cheers.

Thank you very much for the quick reply, all of the above didn't work. I have been testing since you replied , more than a week ! For those who are wondering , I had to downgrade my nvidia driver to 347.88 and the issues just stopped ! This is not a good solution , because the driver is too old for my games . Any driver starting from 350.12 will lead to crashes with this browser , sometimes when I open it , it will spike the GPU usage to 10-12 percent , absolutely not OK for my GTX980. And the load on memory controller remains higher than usual after I close it . No crashes at this point , but when I start a game , the driver will crash and relaunch itself . Now I'm wondering what if @ArcticFoxie's crashes are also nvidia driver related ? Folks , what hardware are you on ? Any of you using Nvidia 350.12 and up ?

18 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Found it!

When you are browsing a time.com article on 360Chrome v11 (or v12/v13 with scripts disabled), open your Developer Tools (F12), scroll to the top of the Elements tab HTML code but below the "Time text cartoon", highlight the body line, then over in the Styles section UNCHECK the "position: fixed" entry.

Now the article will scroll in v11 (and in v12/v13 with scripts disabled).

Hope that helps.

Thank you--that works perfectly! It even works in v9.5, too, but I'll be sticking with v11 because of the TLS 1.3 support. I appreciate your help and testing!