360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

47 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

I find it troubling that some extensions are not just client-side as they appear.

It's more common than you might think!  Firefox and Chrome extensions/addons both do this.  "Some" users think it's a good thing, the extension needs to "collect" data in order to "improve".  "Most" users have no clue.

@Tripredacus , I see . Perhaps you'll find this to be of interest . I've noticed some of the latest browsers do include this function and there's no need to use any extensions . Today I tried Opera developer 79.0.4100.0 and it shows as Mixed Content Test upgraded to HTTPS . Now I don't know what you think of Opera since it's also chinese . But if you want to test , look here with new Opera.

For example , Chrome 86 (360 Browser) will load mixed content.

https://browserleaks.com/ssl

For kicks, I went to Firefox's addons site and right there near the top is Ghostery (1.1 million users), Privacy Badger (0.9 million users), HTTPS Everywhere (0.7 million users), and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials (1.4 million users).

Read those privacy policies!

I wouldn't trust DuckDuckGo any more than Google!  When EVERYTHING that you type in the address bar is sent to a DuckDuckGo server, I don't care that they claim they don't "save" that data, the fact remains that the data was sent to them, their computers analyzed that data, and they save the "analysis" even if they don't save the "data" that led to the "analysis".

Or something like that...

4 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I don't care that they claim they don't "save" that data, the fact remains that the data was sent to them, their computers analyzed that data, and they save the "analysis" even if they don't save the "data" that led to the "analysis".

I agree. The analysis they do with the data they don't store is an indirect way to study how the population that uses their service behaves. Even if they don't do anything else with that information and say they don't, it is sensitive information handled by the people who run the service (people I don't know). The only way I consider feasible to fully trust a service is to know directly all the people who participate in it, if there is someone I don't like I can already have my suspicions about the service. The thing is that it is literally impossible to do that. Basically (at least for me) surfing the internet has become a completely blind act of trust. You don't know what might happen but you hope for the best.

Agreed.

Things like "mixed content" - we can either jump through hoops to block any-and-all "mixed" content or jump through hoops to whitelist/blacklist (ie, uMatrix or similar).

Just here at MSFN, disabling all "mixed" content would make several threads an outright nightmare to follow because we-the-end-user basically have to use third-party "hosts" to embed screencaps into those threads.

A thread is "secure" and "unmixed" until somebody has to embed a screencap that is pulled from a third-party "host" and now that "secure" thread is perceived as "insecure" because it now has "mixed" content.

And we recently learned that we can make any forum we want "appear" as being "insecure" just by creating a "signature" with an image hosted by a third party.

Speaking of "stability" - here's my most recent stability enhancement.

I'm a bit of a .css junky.

Stylus/Stylem is one of only six extensions that I use.

This stability issue was also huge with Pale Moon / New Moon / Mypal.

When you often spend literally hours on end tweaking a daily/weekly-visited web site's .css to your own liking, Stylus/Stylem will crash your web browser when the styles editor is open (no issues when editor is closed).

Save OFTEN has become a habit!

It has done this for EVERY browser I have EVER used (I exclude BNavigator, I have to create the styles elsewhere then copy over to BNav because it simply doesn't have the same tools as other browsers have).

It's also the BIGGEST reason I highly preferred NM27 over NM28.

NM28 would crash every 15 to 20 minutes during hours-on-end .css style edits!

While NM27 would only crash during a 3hr styles edit, but wouldn't crash with EVERY 3hr styles edit, a crash every other day or so versus every 15 to 20 minutes was a huge improvement - but style edits would crash NM27.

Just to be in-and-out of the styles editor never created any issues on most browsers - but to spend hours was an entirely different story - save OFTEN because it WILL crash!

Then I migrated from Mozilla-based to Chromium-based.

I was ecstatic that the styles editor only crashed once every week or so instead of once every other day or so.

But then I witnessed an odd behavior with NoScript and downgraged it to an older version.

Which then led to downgrading Stylus to version 1.5.15 (current version is 1.5.19).

I found dozens of posts on several forums that complained about version 1.5.17 and those users suggested 1.5.13 - but 1.5.15 seems to work flawlessly for me and I prefer its GUI.

Those downgrades were two and a half weeks ago and I haven't had a crash since!

A web browser's "stability" is very much-so tied to your extensions, how many you have, and some of the newer ones have too much "feature-creep" and you're better off with the OLDER ones.

For whatever that is worth  :ph34r:

11 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

More stable is a bit of a Placebo Effect - nothing really changed that should effect "stability".  :dubbio:

More stable as in it can run three YT tabs at the same time (and then some) unlike all previous V13 ones (including all of your builds).

5 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

A web browser's "stability" is very much-so tied to your extensions, how many you have, and some of the newer ones have too much "feature-creep" and you're better off with the OLDER ones.

First rule of testing: test vanilla. If it works, add extensions, or use with already polluted profile.

Edited by dmiranda

Your welcome @dmiranda and @ArcticFoxie :D

I've been wondering a way to save the information of the first post of the thread in case something happens to MSFN (I really hope nothing bad happens) and I decided to save it in the Wayback Machine.

Since I joined I have experienced 2 server crashes of the platform and I don't know what can happen next. Just in case I saved it.

8 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

We really don't have enough users to warrant all of the time required on my end.

They will accumulate over time. I'm using the browser on Win7 and I think it runs faster than Ungoogled Chromium. I'm quite happy because Win7 users can also use it if they want to. My main operating system is Lubuntu 18.04 LTS so I wouldn't worry about the number of users too much, they can come from anywhere. If it's useful for a few there's no reason to stop.

Also, I have a question, does anyone know if the Operating System Revival maintainers are active? the page doesn't seem to have had any activity for 2 months now, I think.

By the way, @we3fan have you had any luck with v9 and v11 on XP SP2? :P

Cheers.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:44 PM, dmiranda said:

More stable as in it can run three YT tabs at the same time (and then some) unlike all previous V13 ones (including all of your builds).

Try again today.

When you reported this a couple days ago, I opened 7 YouTube tabs in my 2206 (Incognito Mode) before it crashed and 6 YouTube tabs in Humming Owl's 2250 (Incognito Mode) before it crashed.

When I repeated an hour or so later, the results were opposite - 6 tabs in my 2206 and 7 tabs in Humming Owl's 2250.

Close enough for me to call it "inconclusive".

TODAY, my 2206 crashes with two YouTube tabs and Humming Owl's 2250 also crashes with two YouTube tabs.

Tried it THREE times.  Each and every time, BOTH versions crash at only TWO tabs.

Edited by ArcticFoxie