360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

I also confirmed this Prediction Service Lock-On in Win7 VM both with and without the portable loader.

Once you run the Clear browsing data, you can never disable the Prediction Service in Modified v11.

edit: Clear browsing data locks the prediction service for Chinese v11 and Russian v11 so this is not limited to Mofified v11.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

It is an interesting behavior. However, I don't know if it is possible to know if the option is activated or not, even when it is checked (after getting this behavior). It is an option that came out from the original Chromium but was removed (from the interface at least) in newer versions so maybe it is not that optional.

With regards to the dark theme on v13 I found out a way to partially disable it through the "chrome.dll" file (the connection does not show after this) and that leaves the following options:

1) Erase the dark theme compressed file.

2) Partially disable the dark theme through the "chrome.dll" file (2250) (this change makes the browser to not load the dark theme in all the web pages that displays, it is like the v11 dark theme).

Offset (h) = 06ae7e70

Entry "dark" --> Replaced it by 00 hexadecimal values.

3) Keep searching if it is possible to look out for the "qhimg" entry

For know I will take 2).

In relation to the v13 in general, I will modify the last version of that branch. I am not sure if the "2250" is the last one but I will be modifying that version to know it better after finishing with v9, v11 and v12.

Cheers.

On 7/14/2021 at 2:33 PM, Greyfox77 said:

I did try a test meeting with webex, it seems that it works althought i will have to try it with real meeting too!

Hey! I have to use webex every now and then, but I have not been able to do it in XP. Could you share details on how (which extension, what client if any, etc.) you do it? Thanks!

On 7/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

I used Google Translate and I often encountered that pasting the exact Chinese one day would give one translation, but the same exact Chinese pasted another day would translate to slightly different wording.

lol

20 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Hey! I have to use webex every now and then, but I have not been able to do it in XP. Could you share details on how (which extension, what client if any, etc.) you do it? Thanks!

In order to use Cisco Webex on Windows XP you have to 

1) Download the modified v12 version from this thread, extract it with 7z in a folder you want and press escape only the first time you open it (download link from first post: https://www.mediafire.com/file/pjthbixelfylwhd/360EE_12.0.1592.0_Modified.7z/file)

2) Install this extention by going to this site: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg

3) Right click on the icon that appears up right after installing it and click on settings.

4) Add a new user agent string so that webex.com thinks you are logging in from a Windows 10 device like this one that works from me: 

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.164 Safari/537.36

To do that, after clicking on settings, copy paste the above user agent string on the field "New User-Agent String", put a name on the field "New User-agent name" and a number on the field "Indicator Flag". I just put 1. Press ADD

5) Go to https://signin.webex.com just click on the icon of the extention, select chrome and then the name of your user agent string. The page will refresh.

If you want to deactivate it, just select chrome and then default. This will enable sites to see that you are using a Windows XP computer again.

Note: The sign in button does not work for me on webex.com with this version of 360 so i log in from this url: https://signin.webex.com/

Edited by Greyfox77

Updated the v9, v11 and v12.

There are minor changes to the text in the browser's interface.

The "en_skin.srx" was removed but the contents of it where replaced on the "iframe.srx" and "skin.srx" files.

I have the previous v9, v11 and v12 in a backup if something happens.

Cheers.

The browser war is on! Who can make the best browser for the best but obsolete operating system?

A test showed, that the old Pentium 3 can't use the 360 browser, probably because of lacking SSE2. But the slightly newer Pentium dual core can. To be honest, there is some nonsense going on when starting 360EE. Have a look at the screenshot from Wireshark. Also, there are connections to translate.googleapis.com (the webpage translation service) and pub1.sdns.360.cn (a chinese DNS server). Memory output might be lower than New Moon. I find it interesting that the 360EE runs in multiple tasks (as it can be seen in the task manager), while New Moon runs as one single task. Now how to value that?

360nonsens.PNG

1 hour ago, Gansangriff said:

I find it interesting that the 360EE runs in multiple tasks (as it can be seen in the task manager), while New Moon runs as one single task. Now how to value that?

That is to be expected.

360Chrome is a multi-process browser, New Moon is not.

Here is a good read on the topic, I suggest Googling it if you are really interested - https://helgeklein.com/blog/modern-multi-process-browser-architecture/

3 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

The browser war is on! Who can make the best browser for the best but obsolete operating system?

~~~LOL :D

I find it interesting that the 360EE runs in multiple tasks (as it can be seen in the task manager), while New Moon runs as one single task

Ha!

Yeah, I don't like that about chrome either - Vivaldi and Iron V49 also are the same. I don't know if chromium was ever single process. Honestly, I never liked it and will hang on to New Moon until the 'bitter end"; and I say "bitter" because I think one day it won't work in the modern world unless upstream works miracles somehow. I read over there (at their forum) threads about people also saying everything is about chrome these days and they are the only independent browser left.

I think, even starting with FF V48 (again, I think, I won't swear to it in court) also began multi process - however its disabled in both New Moon and Serpent as far as I know.

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/22/multi-process-firefox/

I don't know that we could force chrome to work in 1 process ... it sure eats up all the resources.

Edited by XPerceniol

There are pros and cons to multi-process.

It's really not as "simplistic" as opening up Window's Task Manager and gasping for air because your browser is using 8 processes but only 15 to 20 percent more RAM than a single-process equivalent browser session in something like MyPal or New Moon.

The debate has been "raging" since 2015 or so.

Of course, there has to be a good "balance".

I *hate* anti-virus programs because they cause more problems then they solve.

Take a look at how many "processes" show up in the Task Manager for most anti-virus programs - doesn't stop the "security fan boys" from running their anti-virus and thumping us over the head for not running any anti-virus.

I agree!

Considering I have my systems locked down very well, I have no need for 'real time' antivirus and only use malwarebytes or rogue killer for manual scans. I do set/change the priority for things in the background I'm not using in the task manager to lowest to get the most out of what programs I'm using and will also increase the priority for them to above normal or high sometimes.

Edited by XPerceniol

2 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I do set/change the priority for things in the background I'm not using in the task manager to lowest to get the most out of what programs I'm using and will also increase the priority for them to above normal or high sometimes.

The last version of Process Lasso for Windows XP/2003 is offered with a free Pro license and it does this automagically :P