360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

23 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

swifthshader

It only supposed to work if you have "vulkan" software on your PC . Any 360 users have Vulkan installed ? Do any of you use this "vulkan" ? Do any of you even know what that is ? If no,  I'd describe it as yet another bloatware (my persoonal opinion , perhaps someone likes it , I dunno , so no offence ) . It is usually bundled with Nvidia drivers among other bloatware in the driver package and it is installed without your consent . This is one the bad omens , usually pointing out to malware/adware/spyware.

"NOTE: SwiftShader's OpenGL ES frontend is no longer supported, and will eventually be removed. " If you want to read more :

https://github.com/google/swiftshader

Edited by Dixel
link

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Really ? And why would anyone want to activate it ? Do you even know what that is ? I'm just curious.

I DO NOT USE IT.

If you are not going to contribute in a positive fashion, then "move along, there's nothing to see here".

My reason for asking is because I am REMOVING useless crap from the GUI and if that "feature" is BROKEN (even for those that DO want to use it, which again is NOT ME), then I shall remove it from the GUI.

But if it DOES do what it is "supposed to do" and OTHERS might be inclined to use it, then I shall keep it in the GUI.

It really is not my goal in this thread for us to tell other users what settings/flags/switches to use on their own computer.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

"NOTE: SwiftShader's OpenGL ES frontend is no longer supported, and will eventually be removed. " If you want to read more :

https://github.com/google/swiftshader

Works for me.

I remove it from my personal copy but @Humming Owl included it in his shared contributions so I was asking as to verify if I should continue to NOT include it in my shared contributions.

Swiftshader - you're outta here!

7 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

@Humming Owl

The "Use a prediction service" does not deactivate in Modified v11 nor in Chinese v11.

You can uncheck the checkbox and the Changes have taken effect box appears, but when you close and relaunch, the checkbox is checked again.

In the Russian v11, this checkbox at least remains deactivated when you close and relaunch.

I am unsure if this service actually "works" regardless of checkbox or not.

@Dixel - please read my post more carefully.

I reported to Humming Owl that his release ACTIVATES this service regardless of the user DEACTIVATING it.

So we have a "service" that you and I *both* HATE that ACTIVATES itself - you can see why I brought that to Humming Owl's attention, right?

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

It only supposed to work if you have "vulkan" software on your PC . Any 360 users have Vulkan installed ? Do any of you use this "vulkan" ? Do any of you even know what that is ? If no,  I'd describe it as yet another bloatware (my persoonal opinion , perhaps someone likes it , I dunno , so no offence ) . It is usually bundled with Nvidia drivers among other bloatware in the driver package and it is installed without your consent .

Vulkan was/is intended to be a replacement for OpenGL, is based off AMD's Mantle API and is supported on nVidia, AMD and Intel.

SwiftShader as compiled for Chromium browsers acts as software rendered OpenGL ES implementation to run WebGL content. Probably there as the fallback when GPU cannot be used. The project itself has a long history, old versions will do D3D9 in software on an OS as old as Windows 98. Graphics may run a bit faster than a slideshow on fast CPU and low resolution.

Vulkan version of SwiftShader acts as both the loader library (vulkan-1.dll) and implementation when named vulkan-1.dll. vulkan-1.dll as distributed with GPU drivers is a loader library which loads the DLL with actual implementation that does the graphics, similar how OpenGL32.dll works for OpenGL applications and normally loads another DLL bundled with graphics drivers, though it also has a software based fallback for OpenGL 1.1 if I remember correctly.

31 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

Vulkan was/is intended to be a replacement for OpenGL, is based off AMD's Mantle API and is supported on nVidia, AMD and Intel.

On Windows 7+ and other recent enough platforms.

Edited by UCyborg

21 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

The Restore for the address bar (next to back and forward) still has the Cilck typo versus Click.

Oh. Seems that I missed that one. :P

18 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

@Humming Owl ... Hello and nice to meet you :)

I will report with feedback with v11 when I can.

Thanks for your contribution!

EDIT: OMG I can't even type today without a million edits :blushing: Sorry guys.

Nice to meet you to. Do not worry about the time, take it with fun if possible. Hope that you like it!

17 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

This particular button, with the original v11, will say "open" when downloading a .7z and if you change that .7z extension to .exe, the button will automatically change from "open" to "run" (both lowercase with original v11).

Thanks for that info. I will include it in the modifications as well as the other translation fixes. 

With the redundancies you say, I know that they can be fixed but I only want to work with them when I can finish with the last translation and text fixes of the browser. I really do not know if modifying those redundancies could make the browser behave differently and/or crash. I want to proceed with caution.

For example, if you delete the first "<item type="separator" />" entry in the "fav_menu.xml" file in the "en_skin.srx/iframe/menu" path and then you start the browser and click on the "star button" (the bookmarks manager) and then click the app menu button at the right, the browser will crash (at least for me). 

8 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

The "Use a prediction service" does not deactivate in Modified v11 nor in Chinese v11.

You can uncheck the checkbox and the Changes have taken effect box appears, but when you close and relaunch, the checkbox is checked again.

I tested this behavior on Win7 and WinXP and it does deactivate. I tested it from a clean unzip. Maybe a modification you added is the cause?

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

Really ? And why would anyone want to activate it ? Do you even know what that is ? I'm just curious.

Found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/a1a9wb/in_the_settings_use_a_prediction_service_to_load/

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

@Humming Owl, you're welcome ! I wanted to ask , were you able to switch off the annoying login suggestion popup ? 

Unfortunately not yet. I really do not know from which file it is called that action.

Edited by Humming Owl

Deactivated fine just now.

No changes since yesterday.

But I did run a registry-clean since yesterday, must have had something in the registry because I was running the Official Chinese v11 also for compare/contrast.

Yep - that seems to be it.  I just ran Chinese v11 then Chinese v12 then returned to Modified v11 and that setting won't deactivate.

360Safe/Liveup and LiveUpdate360 entries in the registry.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Best I can track down is that it was Official Chinese v12 registry settings that were effecting Official v11 and Modified v11 saved settings.

I seem to have hit-or-miss registry entries created by Modified v12 but once I make sure there are no v12 "shadows", then Modified v11 is working quite well.

I don't know how much of this is due to copying your files over into a "portable loader folder structure".

But I also confess that as a "portable" is the only way that I use any of my web browsers.

On 7/14/2021 at 1:10 PM, Humming Owl said:

@ArcticFoxie: I know you downloaded several v13 files, From which of them did the developer tools started loading in chinese? I would also like to ask you if you can look in the "resources.pak" file of each one of those v13 versions (if you still have them of course), if the "qhimg" entry is present.

Reminder - Build 2206 was the last version that the Developer Tools loaded in English by default (you can change the newer versions from Chinese to English but you need to know where to find it)

I'm digging into the resources.pak files now for qhimg entries.

@Humming Owl - I have these v13 build versions (I think I have "all" of them, but this is what I have): 1000, 1002, 1006, 1032, 1054, 1088, 1106, 2000, 2020, 2040, 2070, 2101, 2196, 2206, 2216, 2220, and 2250.

I could not find "qimg" in any one of those resources.pak files.

I would also break them into three sub-sections based on the file size of resources.pak.

1)  1000, 1002, 1006, 1032, 1054, 1088, and 1106 all have the same exact resources.pak file size.

2)  2000, 2020, 2040, 2070, 2101, 2196, and 2206 all have the same exact resources.pak file size.

3)  2212, 2216, 2220, and 2250 [all of these default to Chinese for Developer Tools) all have the same exact resources.pak file size.

Modified v11  --  I can officially CONFIRM that there IS a combination of settings that once those settings are set, then the Prediction Service setting will NOT deactivate.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with any registry settings, it's the combination of settings.

I'm attempting to isolate and will report back.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Here you go - this process creates the situation where the prediction service will NOT deactivate, you uncheck the box but it will be ACTIVE the next time you launch Modivied v11.

First Run:
ESC key to exit theme selection
Settings -> Basic -> On startup: Open a specific page -> chrome://newtab/
Settings -> Basic -> Search: unselect Show recommended words
Settings -> Basic -> Search: unselect Show addressbar suggest
Settings -> Advanced -> Network: unselect Enable speed optimizations
Settings -> Advanced -> HTTPS/SSL: uncheck Intercept certificate risk
Settings -> Advanced -> Background apps: uncheck Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly
Settings -> Advanced -> Background apps: uncheck Join user experience plan to help improve our products
Close Settings tab
Close Google tab
Close original default New Tab (exits 360Chrome)

Second Run:
Settings -> Advanced -> Background apps  --  prediction service is still unchecked
Settings -> UI Style -> Toolbar appearance: select Show Home button
Settings -> UI Style -> Location bar: unselect Enable intelligent URL
Settings -> UI Style -> Location bar: unselect Enable URL autocomplete
Settings -> UI Style -> Location bar: unselect Show Copy/Paste helper
Settings -> UI Style -> New tab page: unselect Show bookmarks bar in new tab
Settings -> Advanced -> Background apps  --  prediction service is still unchecked
Close Settings tab
Close New tab (now chrome://newtab/) (exits 360Chrome)

Third Run:
Settings -> Tabs -> Open: select Always open bookmark links in new tab
Settings -> Tabs -> Open -> New tab's creation location: select At the right of the last tab
Settings -> Tabs -> Close -> When closing current tab: select Switch to the last active tab
Close Settings tab

Fourth Run:
Settings - Download -> Download: unselect Use Thunder P2SP Download
Settings - Download -> Download: unselect Keep and open file after download
Settings - Download -> Download: unselect Ask where to save APK file before downloading
Settings - Download -> Save Images Quickly: uncheck Enable saving images quickly
Close Settings tab

Fifth Run:
Settings -> Personal -> Passwords and Forms: uncheck Offer to save passwords
Settings -> Personal -> Passwords and Forms: uncheck Enable Autofill to fill out web forms in a single click
Close Settings tab

Sixth Run:
Settings -> Lab -> Acceleration: uncheck When memory takes up too much, auto discard background tabs
Settings -> Lab -> System: uncheck IE kernel's pop-up opens in new tab
Settings -> Lab -> System: uncheck Enable IE kernel's Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
Settings -> Lab -> System: uncheck Support native accessibility
Close Settings tab

Seventh Run:
Customize button from Main Toolbar -> Proxy -> Do not use proxy
Settings -> Advanced -> Privacy -> Clear browsing data button
Clear browsing data dialog: select Clear browsing top most visited
Clear browsing data dialog: select Clear saved Autofill form data
Clear browsing data dialog: select Automatically clear the selected
confirmation dialog box that pops up: clicked Clear now button
clicked clean button
scrolled to Background apps  --  EUREKA  --  prediction service is now CHECKED and it did it by itself
Settings -> Advanced -> Background apps: uncheck Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly
Close Settings tab

Eight Run:
Settings -> Advanced -> Background apps  --  prediction service is CHECKED despite unchecking it in Seventh Run

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Narrowed it down further.

Second Test
Reverted to freshly unzipped Modified v11

First Run:
ESC key to exit theme selection
Closed Settings tab
Closed Google
Closed New Tab (exits 360Chrome)

Second Run:
Settings -> Advanced -> Privacy -> Clear browsing data button
Clear browsing data dialog: select Clear browsing top most visited
Clear browsing data dialog: select Clear saved Autofill form data
Clear browsing data dialog: select Automatically clear the selected
confirmation dialog box that pops up: clicked Clear now button
clicked clean button
scrolled to Background apps  --  EUREKA  --  prediction service is now CHECKED and it did it by itself
Close Settings tab
Close Google
Close New Tab (exits 360Chrome)

Third Run:
Settings -> Advanced -> Background apps  --  prediction service is CHECKED despite unchecking it in Second Run

The Prediction Service can NEVER be deactivated once we run a Clear browsing data.

Q.E.D. (for those that remember their geometry class)