The Golden Age of the Internet is Over - Pretty truthful statement + video

sunryze

I saw a video on youtube today and its honestly really true.

Makes me like the existence of forums like msfn nowadays, since most of the similar ones died out years ago.

6 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

I saw a video on youtube today and its honestly really true.

Internet downfall started with HTML5 and forcing too much of javascript and dropping many good standards. Standards started changing all the time by google resulting browsers not to work properly on sites. RSS is dead and you need use newspaper bloated webpage that needs 5 domains worth of javascript allowed to view news unless disable css that makes it look horrible.

Back in old days RSS (real simple syndication) was everywhere. It is feed that had articles from site. Every news site and other had it. Even blogs did. I liked since was able load it to laptop or pda with rss viewer and read day news even when was away from internet connection. Also was able easily multiple news feeds and blogs and delete what ever articles liked (promotional or old articles. It was like social media news feed but single user, user was on full control, not controlled by single company, worked offline.

Nowadays every possible Nowadays RSS feeds got only headlines when cannot read artcile with reader or  feed wont exist at all. One local newspaper killed RSS feed and tells download their mobile app (basically website wrapped to electron) to read news now.

Everyone uses social media now and smartphone. When I said  one I got no whatsapp and should call me or text or email it to me, that person started asking why not and how much I need use them. People feels sometimes be unable be without their social media and phones even for minute. When I was young I had nokia brick that could run snake and had even built in video and audio player (whopping 128mb mmc card to files :P). Thanks to price of cellular data it kept me away from it and spent actual time with friends which feels hard now. Was thinking making phone park to my house so peoples would not look their phone every third second since it beeps when visiting me since it is very annyoing. Also I miss p2p based instant messaging.

Best you can do to find new simple sites is use Wiby search engine   (I am not affiliated with it just found it) that only indexes simple and mostly personal sites. I found lot of sites I did not knew existed trough it. Also not to use Chromium based browsers since they are mostly made by google. I am using mypal trough all my Windows systems (since palemoon dropped classic addon support and main developer is anti XP)

7 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Makes me like the existence of forums like msfn nowadays, since most of the similar ones died out years ago.

Yeah MSFN is pretty much best out there that is still left. I like board way of doing it, no need own name or profile picture plus can have signatures which is nice to have:lol:. Can talk with peoples all around the globe without needing have all personal data on profile. Just like in old days

Too pessimistic. The nice internet is out there. But it doesn't ask to be found. YOU (yes, I'm pointing with my finger at you) have to discover it.

As long as the big companies don't control the actual wires... wait, then there will be a wireless alternative! Mesh networking has been tried out. Even if that far far away scenario will happen, computer freaks will have good ideas (I hope!)... well, look at Frogfind! That service is able to heal the poorly designed websites. And new Windows XP and DOS browsers have been made in the last years. And Linux is there, too.

RSS-feeds everywhere. Every morning I start my laptop, the RSS feed shows up, having like 20 sites, blogs, wikis, video channels, podcasts, telling me about new stuff. Great and efficent technology!

I've put all the big companies in the hosts file (with help from the dnsmasq router firewall), filtering the likes of Facebook, Amazon, Google, Microsoft and Twitter. So my computers act like all that doesn't exist (127.0.0.1? Where is that they ask).

29 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

RSS-feeds everywhere. Every morning I start my laptop, the RSS feed shows up, having like 20 sites, blogs, wikis, video channels, podcasts, telling me about new stuff. Great and efficent technology!

I have been having issues finding good rss feeds to read news.

@Mr.Scienceman2000 Hm... some examples: The German newspaper with the most readers has RSS feeds for every category.

https://www.bild.de/corporate-site/rss-infoseite/bild-service/rss-3257128.bild.html

A search for "Suomi News RSS" showed this one.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/rss/rss.xml

https://www.goodnewsfinland.com/feed/

Actually, when searching for RSS feeds, I stumbled over https://blog.feedspot.com.

You can also put Youtube channels in your RSS feed. Just replace the words behind "channel_id". This would be the channel of RT, a russian news site:

https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=UCpwvZwUam-URkxB7g4USKpg

50 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

@Mr.Scienceman2000 Hm... some examples: The German newspaper with the most readers has RSS feeds for every category.

https://www.bild.de/corporate-site/rss-infoseite/bild-service/rss-3257128.bild.html

german seems not have hopped in to social media bangwagon yet luckily

51 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

A search for "Suomi News RSS" showed this one.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/rss/rss.xml

iltalehti rss like most rss feeds now (expect Finnish Meteorological Institute)   need access to bloated website to read news article fully. I prefer read it inside newsboat or other viewer without loading anything off web. Also rss can be fecthed offline with few clicks that is useful to me when I am on move and want see day news.

54 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

You can also put Youtube channels in your RSS feed. Just replace the words behind "channel_id". This would be the channel of RT, a russian news site:

https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=UCpwvZwUam-URkxB7g4USKpg

I know that trick. Have not yet tried way on Windows but on linux newsboat+mpv allows also watch video without distraction using rss feeds

Internet sites have consolidated into fewer platforms. Moderation on those feels like law enforcement without individual staff members being responsible for their decisions. Hidden bans are common, making it seem that the whole social medium community suddenly started hating me. With smaller forums one could more easily leave if they didn't like how the server was run. Actual regulations from governments and enforcement of copyright are ever increasing. Too many newbie users who feel the need to be policed.

Failbook is too slow to spend much time on it without a computer from space. Surprisingly to me, it is the most accessible way of interacting with serious businesses who almost never run a discussion board anymore. This is the reason why I visit it.

RSS was good. Opera presented this data as e-mail like messages. One could bypass the web design and user engagement research. Of course companies don't like that. I used RSS to skim over new threads at forums without the overhead of going to the site and refreshing it.

Who do you think owns communications lines if not corporations? MSFN is not great anymore. It's been updated multiple times recently.

Dream scenario: MSFN switches to AcmlmBoard. Proper forum software, crystal sharp edges, usable from Windows 3.11. You can search for "AcmlmBoard" in your search engine of choice and will find some ROM hacking sites there that use this board. It would be useable for the computers of the last 30 years maybe (maybe the smartphone's usability has to sacrificed though). Right now, MSFN is usable for the computers of the last 20 years... not perfect, but not a bad record either.

@j7n: You're right, something like Telekom and Vodafone may be a bit smaller, but they will work against us if required/told so. Not only big companies from America act like that. I wrote that a bit short-sighted.

@Mr.Scienceman2000 Many former news"papers" do that to somewhat get their readers to pay at least a little bit for the articles. In the case of iltalehti.fi, have you tried browsing it with a Javascript blocker? I use Pale Moon with NoScript V5 and that site looks readable! Aside from it being in Finnish...

54 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

Dream scenario: MSFN switches to AcmlmBoard. Proper forum software, crystal sharp edges, usable from Windows 3.11. You can search for "AcmlmBoard" in your search engine of choice and will find some ROM hacking sites there that use this board. It would be useable for the computers of the last 30 years

this would be nice.

56 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

Right now, MSFN is usable for the computers of the last 20 years... not perfect, but not a bad record either.

MSFN basic function works without enabling javascript on nmatrix which is nice. Only file upload need js. Some forums that look and claim to be classic compatible refuses even shows posts unless allow js. Still could be smaller

59 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

@Mr.Scienceman2000 Many former news"papers" do that to somewhat get their readers to pay at least a little bit for the articles.

what is stupid is they wont offer rss even to paid users. I pay from few magazines and got access their web as bonus. Like said I wont have internet acess 24/7 and is nice read news offline on computer

1 hour ago, Gansangriff said:

@Mr.Scienceman2000In the case of iltalehti.fi, have you tried browsing it with a Javascript blocker? I use Pale Moon with NoScript V5 and that site looks readable! Aside from it being in Finnish...

I have not browsed without nMatrix and noscript for long time for security and privacy. Iltalehti works without js but for example karjalainen (local news paper I pay) wont anymore after layout upgrade

lehti.thumb.gif.c5f7319dd52fbcc5ab4e29b1663fb9a6.gif

This is all you see when js disabled even if you are logged in with customer account. Article needs 4 sites worth of js to work after layout upgrade and when I contacted their feedback nothing happened. I guess will stick with paper version.

but there is still some somewhat decent feeds left from Yleisradio (Public radio company funded by taxes). They got RSS feeds to multiple topics. Also YLE got teletext (with flight timetables, radiation, emergency alerts, news weather etc.) on tv and accessible over their website when I got no TV to use. It is tax funded so likely wont never pull plugs

AcmImBoard/Kuribo64 appears to mostly work even in Opera 8 and perfect in Opera 12. Except that users can add any styles to their post and name that could be incompatible. I'm also not a fan of reading a thread where every post has different colors and background, making it hard to tell what is a quotebox. But maybe it fits the overall theme of drawn Japanese avatars. Last big traditional forum is Doom9. Recently they discussed updating due to spam, but nothing came out of it.

Some websites in older browsers appear totally blank without any content, even in New Moon 28. And there is a forum engine that shows the user names column, but the posts have no text in them.

2 minutes ago, j7n said:

Some websites in older browsers appear totally blank without any content, even in New Moon 28

I had same issue and this helped:

the problem is with the scripts from adobedtm
ubo -> my filters add
||assets.adobedtm.com^$script,domain=nbcnews.com,important
,important it must be because "EasyPrivacy" is allowed

of course replace nbcnews.com with whatever site

"Spam" is a good keyword considering the old temples of the old web. I don't know if back then, some poor dogs were placed in front of a screen to register at message boards (or additonally to solve human-readable captchas).to post spam. Obviously older message boards are vulnerable to these problems. But if the software is open enough to be modified, they should put a mildly complicated set of questions to new board participants. I think MSFN needs an update in that direction too. Dammit, once a week I have to report a spam post, not to mention plenty of users with 0 posts but questionable "homepages" in their profile!

Considering karjalainen.fi, could you try to put these into your hosts file?

127.0.0.1    rekryboksi-v4.appspot.com
127.0.0.1    cdn.relevant-digital.com
127.0.0.1    apps-cdn.relevant-digital.com
127.0.0.1    static.cloudflareinsights.com

And additionally: 127.0.0.1 fiare-prod-thumbor.assettype.com  if you don't need pictures it looks like.

There are plenty of sites that can be tricked like that. Some don't let you pass through without JavaScript activated. Fine, that's their home right, but then, the monkeys didn't check if the adverts can be actually loaded, or whether they are blocked by a firewall. Works in 75% of the cases! To get these lists, you somehow have to be able to see, which server connections are actually opened. Pale Moon is a good browser, showing that in the bottom left corner (as it has been always). You can also dig through your cache ("about:cache" in Firefox-like browsers), to see what your browser actually loaded and stored on your disk. Mostly disgusting script stuff!

Sometimes, it's more than just disabling JavaScript. Sometimes, you have to prevent connections to a certain server right from the beginning, to make a badly-designed website useable again. In this case, it's the rekyboksi-v4 that loads more and more content. @Mr.Scienceman2000Could you log-in?

Edited by Gansangriff
I wasn't finished yet...

41 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

Considering karjalainen.fi, could you try to put these into your hosts file?

127.0.0.1    rekryboksi-v4.appspot.com
127.0.0.1    cdn.relevant-digital.com
127.0.0.1    apps-cdn.relevant-digital.com
127.0.0.1    static.cloudflareinsights.com

And additionally: 127.0.0.1 fiare-prod-thumbor.assettype.com  if you don't need pictures it looks like.

There are plenty of sites that can be tricked like that. Some don't let you pass through without JavaScript activated. Fine, that's their home right, but then, the monkeys didn't check if the adverts can be actually loaded, or whether they are blocked by a firewall. Works in 75% of the cases! To get these lists, you somehow have to be able to see, which server connections are actually opened. Pale Moon is a good browser, showing that in the bottom left corner (as it has been always). You can also dig through your cache ("about:cache" in Firefox-like browsers), to see what your browser actually loaded and stored on your disk. Mostly disgusting script stuff!

i got Pihole that does it better but could try it. Did not it even think it could be that causing issue. I will try it

On 7/2/2021 at 9:09 AM, Gansangriff said:

Dream scenario: MSFN switches to AcmlmBoard. Proper forum software, crystal sharp edges, usable from Windows 3.11. You can search for "AcmlmBoard" in your search engine of choice and will find some ROM hacking sites there that use this board. It would be useable for the computers of the last 30 years maybe (maybe the smartphone's usability has to sacrificed though). Right now, MSFN is usable for the computers of the last 20 years... not perfect, but not a bad record either.

I doubt the person responsible for this place is into old computers. Can confirm AcmlmBoard is rubbish on smartphones, have to zoom-in and scroll left and right all the time to be able to read anything. Maybe there's a browser out there I'm not aware of with text wrap or something that would make it bearable.

Historically, it seems to me that creators always wanted something more, hence Flash Player came to be. It wouldn't have existed if the browsers were as sophisticated back then. Scripting is kinda needed if you want to do interesting things. Notifications come to mind in the context of the forum software.

On 7/2/2021 at 6:07 PM, Gansangriff said:

To get these lists, you somehow have to be able to see, which server connections are actually opened. Pale Moon is a good browser, showing that in the bottom left corner

You can see servers in Tools > Web Developer > Network. In Opera there was a Dragonfly component with similar functionality.

To avoid connecting to localhost where there might be a webserver running, I use an address from future use range 240.0.0.0/4 which is set to 'Prohibit' in my router.

Presumably, the styles of a forum can be adjusted to anything. These particular sites prefer retro and colorful look because of the subjects they discuss.

Edited by j7n