My notebook is dead

Sampei.Nihira

15 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I agree with @Mr.Scienceman2000

My mom "had to" have a LAPTOP about 8yrs or so ago and none of us could talk her out of it at the time

She spent close to $2,400 when a comparable desktop was only around $600.

Not only does IT NEVER LEAVE THE DESK, but we had to get her a larger monitor because the laptop's display was too small, a keyboard because the laptop keyboard didn't have a number pad, and a mouse because she didn't like the fingerpad.

ALL OF WHICH we told her from DAY ONE that she wouldn't be happy with and that a desktop would be the way to go.

I too remember when there was an enormous price premium on laptops!
It seemed to all change around the time that Windows 7 was released, all the computer shops around me suddenly had hardly any desktops on sale and it was all laptops.
(Of course all those computer shops are gone now too, but that's a different story!)

My issue with laptops is that they are very hard to physically upgrade. My desktop is an evolution of a machine I first bought in 1999, and it has been updated and changed a huge amount since then. In fact it's pretty much a "Trigger's Broom"* but I still consider it to be the same machine for some perverse reason!
The point is that it has never been completely replaced, it's always been capable of being updated/upgraded to serve my developing needs.

Contrast that with my netbook, which I keep mainly for its small size.
It does at least have a conventional drive, which I've replaced with an SSD, many modern machines have solid state storage which is completely fixed and cannot be changed. It does have 4GB of memory, which is fine for the 32 bit versions of XP and 10 which I run on it (it is actually a 64 bit machine) but the processor is a 1GHz dual core piece of AMD rubbish which is like a millstone round the neck of the system and is of course completely non-upgradable.
It's just about OK for what I use it for, but a machine like that will never replace a desktop as far as I'm concerned.

*["Trigger's Broom", for those who may not get the reference, refers to a character called Trigger in the BBC sitcom "Only Fools and Horses". In one episode he famously declared that he had been using the same broom for many many years, although in that time it had had to have the handle and the brush individually replaced several times, the joke being that of course that meant that it wasn't actually the same broom at all!]

:D

Too funny!  :roll1:

I read half of your post then did a Google for Trigger's Broom.

"This old broom has had 17 new heads and 14 new handles."

"How the hell is it the same bloody broom then?"

To return and see that the bottom half of your post explains the reference.

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

52 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

My theory on why desktops have fallen out of fashion is because we live in a "mobile society".

Everybody above the age of 12 is carrying around a cell phone and that indoctrinates them into thinking that the computer needs to be carryied around also.

I use my cell phone and computer (even laptop) together:D. Hooked to pc using nokia pc suite can send sms, send flash messages, share internet off mobile when need send email on road. Phone is mostly to call and sms. I do not see why some say choose cell phone or desktop/laptop not both.

56 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

If you really want to be creative, there are some very small form-factors available that run WinXP that don't even require a cooling fan because they run that co

thinclients that mostly got VIA cpu. If you do not care about grafic performance they are good. Some of them allow hook external gpu

On 7/2/2021 at 11:37 AM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Compared to my Acer notebook of 16 years ago modern notebooks are rather limited in hardware features.

Few USB ports, no DVD RW drive, no RJ-45 port,small screen.........:thumbdown

That's precisely why I'm trying to keep Etesia going.

Does your Windows XP laptop have a removable battery? Etesia does, and I've had the same problem you have had (battery life has become nonexistent with age) ... I'm pretty sure there are replacement aftermarket batteries I can buy, but I'm hoping I might be able to mod a battery pack to use graphene cells or something. If only that technology would come to market faster.

15 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Sure, I could buy the parts to fix it and make it "portable" again - but WHY?  It's 16yrs old and doesn't get moved from one room to the next, it sits on a workbench and only needs to move to a passenger seat.

The plugin cord is long enough for it to make that journey.

Haha, this is actually how I use Etesia these days when I'm on the go. She's always tethered to a wall outlet on road trips. XOTIC (the OEM that I bought her from) actually shipped her with a vehicle AC adapter that lets her charge on the go, using the cigarette lighter in my car. Wild stuff.

19 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Desktops have become a great niche! They have fallen out of fashion for many users for being bulky.

13 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

My theory on why desktops have fallen out of fashion is because we live in a "mobile society".

It certainly seemed we were heading that way, and will probably be doing so again in the near future, but the pandemic certainly caused a rather dramatic reversal of trends. From what I had been hearing on the Tech YouTube channels, 2020 saw a massive increase in the sale of desktop PCs and computer parts, since many of us were under stay-at-home orders or otherwise working from home. (My current employer still has me doing this.)

From what I'd been hearing, that took the chip and hardware manufacturers completely off guard as they were not expecting such a massive reversal of trends. But now, everyone needed a computer that could handle videoconferencing and/or the sort of work they would normally be doing at the office. Not to mention gaming.

12 hours ago, Dave-H said:

*["Trigger's Broom", for those who may not get the reference, refers to a character called Trigger in the BBC sitcom "Only Fools and Horses". In one episode he famously declared that he had been using the same broom for many many years, although in that time it had had to have the handle and the brush individually replaced several times, the joke being that of course that meant that it wasn't actually the same broom at all!]

Oh yeah! That's the Ship of Theseus Paradox, right? I heard about a philosopher who came up with an interesting way to solve the paradox, if you think of objects four dimensionally. The idea being that an object's span of existence is like a river of time, and the individual things that make up that object could be thought of as smaller streams that join or branch off of the main "time stream."

Edited by TrevMUN
I had more to say!

I will buy a Lenovo all in one pc.
Lenovo IT is offering a 10% discount on your first purchase:

Immagine.jpg

As I understand the discount is valid for 30 days after registration.
The prices of the PCs are the same as I found on Amazon or in the most famous stores in my country.
I have another desktop pc at home, and that one is over 10 years old too.
So I would like to buy a new pc.

2 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

I will buy a Lenovo all in one pc

Lenovo business grade equipments are good. Thinkpads are still tank for example. Just avoid cheap consumer grade plastic things. Those wont last over warranty period. That applies both desktops and laptops. I got experience from them

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

5 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

I will buy a Lenovo all in one pc.
Lenovo IT is offering a 10% discount on your first purchase:

This would be like using a notebook as a desktop.

Don't you care about future upgrades?

Looking at the specs of that ThinkCentre M90a 23.8" AIO, it appears to have one M.2 slot for the (optional) WiFi module, and one PCIe slot for the SSD.

No mention of other spare slots or a SATA connector...

P.S.

I think this belongs to either the Hardware Hangout or the General Discussions forums, not the XP one.

Edited by RainyShadow

• 9 months later...
On 6/29/2021 at 4:02 AM, Montana Slim said:

There's a number of "recent" (if you consider 8-10 years recent) pro-level notebooks you can get for cheap that work with XP well:

Lenovo L420, L520, L530, T520 (i'd say T530... but it's got some issues)

Dell e6420, e6430, e6230, e6530

These are the ones I have... there may be others..?

Hi, do you still have your Dell E6530 with XP on ?  My E6530 i7 has 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD, BIOS A22 latest (legacy boot; AHCI)

I have been having much trouble installing XP Pro SP3 (that XP version installed well on E5500 with a slip streamed SATA driver).  The E6530 works well with Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 14.0.  Both Windows 10 and XP would fail at install (Windows 10 wouldn't even go further than the logo be it legacy or UFEI while XP would hang at the blue screen Starting Windows (not the infamous BSOD).  It just hangs forever.  I presume it's due to a missing driver, but no luck with finding one to slip stream.

How did you manage to install XP on it ? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by xpw10
SSD formatted as MBR (NTFS not GPT)

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 10:24 AM, xpw10 said:

Hi, do you still have your Dell E6530 with XP on ?  My E6530 i7 has 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD, BIOS A22 latest (legacy boot; AHCI)

I have been having much trouble installing XP Pro SP3 (that XP version installed well on E5500 with a slip streamed SATA driver).  The E6530 works well with Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 14.0.  Both Windows 10 and XP would fail at install (Windows 10 wouldn't even go further than the logo be it legacy or UFEI while XP would hang at the blue screen Starting Windows (not the infamous BSOD).  It just hangs forever.  I presume it's due to a missing driver, but no luck with finding one to slip stream.

How did you manage to install XP on it ? Any advice would be much appreciated.

In case someone has the same problem: the workaround is to press F7 during F6 install.  The problem isn't due to the driver.  It was an ACPI issue (hence hanging forever)