My notebook is dead

Sampei.Nihira

My Windows XP notebook is dead.:(
With a probable triple failure its repair is certainly uneconomical.
My friend has been with me since 2005, so I can not expect anything more.

I will buy a new notebook.
Although W.10 seems abominable to me and probably W.11 will be even more so, I will not proceed to install W.XP on it.

Linux has always bored me.
ChromeOS is useless
I'm not a MacOS guy.

The future, unfortunately for me, is less satisfying than the past.................................:thumbdown

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Why abandon XP?

IF you must abandon XP, I've had performance-success with Win7 Enterprise and Win10 LTSB.

But they were also both provided by place-of-employment - with a license that allows me to install at home due to remote work.

I haven't taken the leap to test-drive Win11 yet, I haven't even looked at if these copies floating around are "legal" or "leaked".

Hi Sampei, if you think there is a small chance it can be fixed we can try to give some advice.

I don't know what the problem is exactly.

You think new Power supply could fix it? Or new Ram stick? Or new Hard Drive?

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

With a probable triple failure its repair is certainly uneconomical.

what failed on it? Ram, cpu or what? Old laptops had swappable cpu and you can find old processors with 10 euros or less on ebay

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

I will buy a new notebook.
Although W.10 seems abominable to me and probably W.11 will be even more so, I will not proceed to install W.XP on it.

I recommend looking refurb laptops. Can get older better quality business laptop cheaper even with XP compatible hw. Here one store sells some that can run XP mostly 2nd or 3rd gen intel

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

Hi Sampei..

Sorry to hear this - I also feel as my rigs have been through the ringer with me in life. I do hope there is some way to get it working again even if by slim chance, but otherwise, you're not alone, I also don't like the choices ahead. I wish you good luck choosing something that suites your needs. 

The pc is sixteen years old.
It's normal that it imploded.

A few days ago I performed a defrag because the HD had become too slow.
Then it left me a bank of RAM (500 MB).
Also the other bank of RAM had problems because they were frequent freezes.
Then the screen finally gave up on me and that was the end of the pc.

P.S. I use Android but I'm not thrilled with it.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

2 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

A few days ago I performed a defrag because the HD had become too slow.
Then it left me a bank of Ram (500 MB).
Also the other bank of RAM had problems because they were frequent freezes.
Then the screen finally gave up on me and that was the end of the pc.

sounds like bad hdd and bad power brick.

I am mostly using custom desktop computers now. They are not foolproof and can have failure but can fix many of them easily. Bad cpu fan: replace fan or cooler with ones you can find from everywhere. Bad power supply: Just go to store (may not be soon thanks to ATX12V insanity to kill old hw) and buy one, bad gpu: replace it. I had constant freezing and crashing on old XP system (Phenom X4, 4GB RAM, 8800GTS) due Nvidia nForce crashed all the time making computer freeze and was able swap parts to same old chassis for new rig. Also can extend lifespan by increasing cooling or even running open chassis

After 16 years probably all electronic components have reached the end of their life cycle.
The pc has imploded now probably because in my country the temperatures reach about 34 degrees Celsius in the shade.
I have additional cooling fans but you can't row against nature.......

6 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

The pc has imploded now probably because in my country the temperatures reach about 34 degrees Celsius in the shade.

here same but on winter and begins with negative digit. It causes issues on winter when moving laptop. Mostly risk to moisture and need wait until reaches room temp before can power on. Had that struggle on college. Had to bicycle to school at extreme cold with laptop. Tried best to protect it but year after college ended had multiple technical issues. Cpu was locked to max clock speed and voltage all the time for example

6 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

After 16 years probably all electronic components have reached the end of their life cycle.

all it needs is one important chip to fail that kills everything else

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

There's a number of "recent" (if you consider 8-10 years recent) pro-level notebooks you can get for cheap that work with XP well:

Lenovo L420, L520, L530, T520 (i'd say T530... but it's got some issues)

Dell e6420, e6430, e6230, e6530

These are the ones I have... there may be others..?

Edited by Montana Slim
L420