I have tried Windows 11 and I will tell you my experience

WinFX

The first time you listen to Windows 11, the more you hear that it requires as much as Vista at its launch times (TPM 2.0). I imagine a very slow system, a failure worse than Windows Me or 8. But the story is completely different for me, I have risked trying it.

PC on which I tested Windows 11:
Intel Pentium G860 Sandy Bridge 2 Cores - 3GHz
4 GB of RAM (3.5 usable)
1 TB Hard Disk WD Blue

I managed to fool the installer with a patch so that the installer leaves me even in MBR. I had the hard disk partitioned in MBR.

Now I will tell my pros and cons of Windows 11

Pros:
-Despite the greater requirements, it is three times as fast
-Windows Media Player is still alive
-Animations make Windows 11 look like a smooth and polished system
-The start menu is less bloated
-The Paint remains the same as Windows 7 but with another icon
-All old software that works on Windows 21H2 works also on 11

Cons:
-Openshell does not work for those who miss the old menu
-In the home edition it is mandatory to have a Microsoft account
-You can only position the task bar at the bottom, and goodbye to the quick bars that accompanied us since Windows 98 :(

14 hours ago, WinFX said:

-You can only position the task bar at the bottom, and goodbye to the quick bars that accompanied us since Windows 98 :(

Yeah, this is seriously annoying. Also, what's more annoying in fact is the centered taskbar buttons. I'm used to when it's at left since Windows 95.

How did you quantify the phenomenal 3x speed increase? Windows keeps growing in size, and yet every new version is reported as being faster. It is always some tricks, like delayed start of services (that still have to start) or suspend memory to disk, which was possible in older systems as well.

I used to have a program that would TIME my startup.

Like @j7n pointed out, just because a service is delayed to start, it still has to start.

That's the oldest trick in the book - instead of hammering the CPU(s) with EIGHTY startup processes, you hit it with 20, wait a minute and load 20 more, et cetera.

A computer user turns his/her computer on, he/she can't DO ANYTHING when the CPU is trying to load EIGHTY startup processes.

But only load 20 instead and now the user gets that warm-and-fuzzy feeling that they can open their web browser 15 seconds after hitting the Power On button versus 80 seconds after hitting the Power On button.

Doesn't matter that three minutes later the computer is STILL loading startup processes, at least the user was able to load his/her web browser before all of those startup processes were fully loaded.

If a system boots in less time, doesn't mean it works practically works any faster. If the computer is rarely shut down at all, the boot time is a small fraction of its operating hours. I only turn off my PC because of the current heat wave in the afternoon. Also any new system will feel somewhat faster due to low fragmentation and small registry, depending on how much the previous system was used. 3x would break Nathan Myhrvold's and Wirth's laws of physics.

6 hours ago, j7n said:

How did you quantify the phenomenal 3x speed increase? Windows keeps growing in size, and yet every new version is reported as being faster.

It is usually since first have 7 year old Windows install filled with bloatware, fragmented drive, lot startup services. Then they do upgrade which does fresh install of Windows (been since vista) and for some reason freshly installed new Windows with no programs, fragmentation etc runs faster. Freshly installed os is fast and snappy and will only over time get slower if user wont maintain  it.

Second change is user had 7 year old computer with 5400rpm hard drive, bare minium of ram, integrated gpu, cpu that was low end even for time. Then they buy brand new desktop with high end cpu, gpu, plenty of ram and SSD with latest Windows and then praises Windows to be faster ignoring fact they got brand new system to new Windows. For most pc means Windows and hardware wont matter.

Good example was long ago when one Mac user called Windows trash since ran slowly compared his Macbook. His Windows laptop was lowest end 200-400€ laptop with 1gb ram, Celeron M, intel gma and Macbook was 2000€ and I think it had Core2duo, 8gb ram etc (wont remember specs properly anymore). Of course 2000€ laptop is faster than cheapest market laptop. He said Windows to be reason to slowness not laptop price different.Second example is one client who said she had upgraded to Windows 10 and had some issues. I asked if she had verified hw was good enough to run Windows 10 and told her to show laptop so I could check it. Laptop was brand new with preinstalled Windows 10. Tried explain client it was hardware she upgraded along with Windows and kept calling laptop Windows. That is most annyoing thing I keep hearing, refer Windows as hardware not as OS

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

On 6/26/2021 at 5:07 AM, WinFX said:

I managed to fool the installer with a patch so that the installer leaves me even in MBR. I had the hard disk partitioned in MBR.

It seems like there is a simple workaround to install without TPM 2.0 nor secure boot, only for the record:

https://allthings.how/how-to-install-windows-11-on-legacy-bios-without-secure-boot-or-tpm-2-0/

jaclaz

On 6/27/2021 at 11:30 AM, jaclaz said:

It seems like there is a simple workaround to install without TPM 2.0 nor secure boot, only for the record:

https://allthings.how/how-to-install-windows-11-on-legacy-bios-without-secure-boot-or-tpm-2-0/

jaclaz

It never ceases to amaze me how much people trouble go to even before Microsoft has decided how Windows 11 should be....The TPM part just ****** me off and one cannot trust anything Microsoft states from one day to the next.....

The videos already out there on how to install, setup, and do so many changes and the full release hasn't even appeared.....

Why waste so much energy on such things when we will never know what they are really intending to do to the last minute....

Just seen a video and Microsoft changed information on their website before the guy could even finish his video:cheerleader:

It is the same old story over and over....Microsoft as a company are a bunch of lying ********. Just don't understand people putting their trust in Microsoft or companies that behave like them?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant finished.....I think...

bookie32

Besides that, what amazes me is the apparent craze for something that by any standards sucks (and sucks big). :unsure:

I mean, I understand how the insiders (or whomever) are interested in the news, and want to try it as soon as possible (possibly to monetize or however use as a promotion the article/blog/video/whatever) but once one, two, three, tens of people have tested it and it clearly is (not so surprisingly) at the most a "meh" product, there is IMHO no need to hurry to get/install/test it..

I could understand if everyone that actually tested it described it as the third best thing in life (after bread and ice-cream), but come on, the (admittedly only few) reports I have seen seem to have divided the opinions between "it sucks" and "it sucks AND it is unfriendly to the user and hardware". :dubbio:

Surely, when there will be something final, the usual endless number of tweaks, mods, hacks, etc. will appear, making it bearable (like it has happened for previous windows versions) but the point remains that the thingy "as delivered by the manufacturer" is reported almost everywhere as only a little more than a pig[1] with lipstick (and the lipstick is the wrong colour ;))

jaclaz

[1] with all due respect to pigs, of course

On 6/29/2021 at 9:58 AM, bookie32 said:

Why waste so much energy on such things when we will never know what they are really intending to do to the last minute....

A man has to fill the void with something.