Cross-compatible Hardware W11 and XP

ragnargd

Hi,

i hereby declare this thread the #1 candidate for the most depressing threads on this forum - your mileage may vary, maybe depending on your definition of funny, yay .... \o/

I have three PCs in service, and one PC at my dauthters flat, that are capable of running W10 and XP in dual boot, and of those, two actually do (my best rig thereof has two GTX970 in SLI - SLI working in W10 only, of course, glad the GTX970 works with inf-modding under XP -, SB XiFi 4, all have an i7-3770 Ivy bridge, you know in drill: Max performance, while staying dual-boot compatible, for optimum experience with games that are a tad older).

Now Miniweak Wetware published the list of HARDWARE that might (or might not) upgrade from W10 to W11.

For the record, CPUs for ... :

AMD: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

Intel: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Key Info: TPM 2.0 chip needed, Secure Boot required, CSM = off (correct? not correct?).

Of course, M$ may weaken this stance, and by experience from last updates they might, but if, not by far. So maaaaaybe TPM 1.2, but don't bet on it.

This might mean the cutting-off of XP-capable machines, while (might = 99.99%);

Of course, i ignore W10 remaining for a few years, that is NOT content of this thread.

So this is your Finest Hour (tm): List Hardware that still is Dual-boot compatible, or say if you expect this to become, once MSFN runs hot (only calls with good arguments, please, no wishful thinking).

The cutting off of certain old GPU iron from driver-support at AMD or NVidia is purely coincidental, correct? DX12 is named as a "GPU and Driver requirement", but i guess the same old story here: AMD is dead on cross-compatible legacy (still, and again) - but that's not new, and anyone interested may just get a GTX9x0, and is fine, until NVidia pulls the plug (and they usually do, like with the 6000/7000 series just lately on W10, but it takes time, so we might see W12 before that happens).

Again: This thread is about cross-compatible, dual-boot capable hardware, XP and W11, nothing else. Please keep your threads tidy.

Cheers,

Ragnar G.D.

Maybe a dual boot would be possible if you try it with XP x64 instead of X86 because you can add UEFI support to it. The problem is how will react the secure boot to Windows XP.

Yeah, possible, i have XP 64 here as well.

Unfortunately, many games that work in XP 32 bit, won't work on XP 64bit.

Very often they DO run, but the installers are still 16bit (which works in XP 32bit), and so you have problems getting them installed.

So, sometimes 64bit is a solution, sometimes it is not.

But intel core start the generation AFTER core 7700K, and that is pretty new, many things just six years old. W11 and XP seem to be mutually exclusive atm.

7 minutes ago, ragnargd said:

Very often they DO run, but the installers are still 16bit (which works in XP 32bit), and so you have problems getting them installed.

At least for 16-bit InstallShield installers, there's supposed to be a mechanism built in the compatibility infrastructure that invokes the 32-bit version stored in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\InstallShield. Though I remember reading on VOGONS some time ago about people having to download 32-bit version manually. Guess it doesn't always work.

On 6/26/2021 at 1:10 AM, ragnargd said:

many times using setup.exe on game folder instead of autorun.exe on root folder helped fixing it. Quake 3 autorun was 16bit while installer was 32bit

On 6/26/2021 at 12:11 AM, Sergiaws said:

Maybe a dual boot would be possible if you try it with XP x64 instead of X86 because you can add UEFI support to it. The problem is how will react the secure boot to Windows XP.

you can make grub work with secure boot and can use grub to load Windows. Of course that is not easy task and will need lot of work unless will also run linux. Manually doing it requires to have secure boot keys

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

Judging from the list of Intel CPUs, Palouser's current build didn't make the cut. Linus at LTT said that the cutoff point is Skylake.

Years ago I saw someone post a picture on an overclocking forum showing Windows XP running on a Ryzen system, but at the time he did not elaborate how he pulled it off. I haven't seen any news on getting XP to run bare metal on any systems newer than XP64 on Intell X99-based ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my own experiements with Ryzen and XP - "running" is not the same as "running games on it". I'd rather not invest time, less money, on that horse.

With Ivy bridge, i have the latest CPU-type officially supporting XP (including Socket 1356 and 2011 type Xeons and the like).

With everything else later on, even if you feel a bit more adventurous, drivers become scarce. But even there, i7-6xxx is the newest reported to run. And includes heavy modding for ACPI, UEFI. AHCI, and stuff.

I had more --> modern <-- systems semi-running W98SE than XP, but W11-compatible hardware is far out. But let's see, who comes up with what.... MSFN always surprised me in the past...

Perhaps some patch to run Win11 on "unsupported" hardware will surface (if it isn't already).

It should be easier than trying to run XP on the latest hardware.

Or, install some Linux hypervisor (Xen?) and run both Windows versions virtualised, lol.

On 7/7/2021 at 9:54 AM, ragnargd said:

I did my own experiements with Ryzen and XP - "running" is not the same as "running games on it". I'd rather not invest time, less money, on that horse.

If I might ask, what happened when you tried? Did you use a GPU known to work with XP? Because far as I know, on the nVidia side the 9XX/TITAN X Maxwell series is the newest line known to work with XP and XP64, though that requires a bit of INI hacking. I'm not sure how new you can go with Team Red.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:11 PM, TrevMUN said:

If I might ask, what happened when you tried? Did you use a GPU known to work with XP? Because far as I know, on the nVidia side the 9XX/TITAN X Maxwell series is the newest line known to work with XP and XP64, though that requires a bit of INI hacking. I'm not sure how new you can go with Team Red.

Regarding NV 980 and NV 970 see this, i own one 980 and two 970 (SLI), both work well, SLI won't work on XP though (while it does on W10 in a dual-boot config):

I recommend the GTX 980 with this driver as the "fastest" GPU for XP --> that actually makes sense <-- ... :hello: (a GTX 980 Ti with 6GB on a modded driver sounds nice, but i can hardly find a rational over the 980)

On 7/9/2021 at 12:36 AM, RainyShadow said:

Perhaps some patch to run Win11 on "unsupported" hardware will surface (if it isn't already).

It should be easier than trying to run XP on the latest hardware.

I agree with you 

to install windows 11 on "unsupported" old hardware is waay easier than trying to get win xp to run on newer components

even LTT showed some ways to make this possible 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivpAiuh-s0

the best hardware for windows xp (officially supported) is, in my opinion: (didn't research a lot tbh so you might have a stroke reading this)

E5 2687W v2 (it has 8 cores@ 3.4ghz; I think it has the best balance between cores and speed)

or E5 2690 v2 (10 cores @ 3ghz if you need more cores)

Asus rampage IV extreme (has drivers for every version of windows newer than xp, even xp x64)

64gb of ram (if you do some kind of work like editing & stuff that requires lots of memory; if not, 16gb is enough for win 11)

you can mount m.2 ssds if you get one of those PCIe to m.2 adapters and here you can choose whatever you want

gtx titan black i guess is the fastest gpu for windows xp, but i would go with a gtx 980ti  (but you will need to modify the drivers for this one)

some seasonic 700w 80+ gold or better power supply is good enough for this config

whatever case you like that has good air flow too and you can even water cool it :lol:

Edited by winvispixp

On 7/14/2021 at 7:49 PM, winvispixp said:

E5 2687W v2 (it has 8 cores@ 3.4ghz; I think it has the best balance between cores and speed)

or E5 2690 v2 (10 cores @ 3ghz if you need more cores)

Asus rampage IV extreme (has drivers for every version of windows newer than xp, even xp x64)

to install windows 11 on "unsupported" old hardware is waay easier than trying to get win xp to run on newer components

even LTT showed some ways to make this possible 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivpAiuh-s0

The Xeons you mention are Sandy Bridge, the i7-4???X are Ivy Bridge. Yes, that is the last officially supported CPU Generation.

Btw.: Good link to that video, some hope remains.

Edited by ragnargd