Windows 11 has officially been announced!

sunryze

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

In case anyone isn't aware, but Microsoft has quote on quote dropped 32-bit support on Windows 10 as well. I can't remember which version was the last, might have been 2004...that you can't do a new install of Windows 10 32-bit.

You can still get ISO with 32-bit Win10 21H1 through their web site, at least as long your browser doesn't indicate through its user agent that you're on Windows.

15 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Not sure if these programs will be able to fix the issues, but if they aren't, they might as well be dead software at this point. DWM also has been overhauled with no sun in sight for bigmuscle to even get 2004 operating. As of right now, Aero, Classic start menus and customizable system trays are gone for good. :(

Also, Win11 is worse for multiple monitors. They removed the clock on secondary taskbars, which is something I heavily used and will not get used to not having it. It makes no sense to do so.

The current version of 7+ Taskbar Tweaker 5.11.3 added an incompatibility notice for Windows 11.

Is it true the options for combining program buttons on the taskbar are gone as well? Maybe Actual Window Manager will be able to add back saner taskbar.

Edited by UCyborg

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

You can still get ISO with 32-bit Win10 21H1 through their web site, at least as long your browser doesn't indicate through its user agent that you're on Windows.

I wasn't aware of that, thank you for the clarification. I think it was on their site that I saw something about them discontinuing the 32-bit version of Windows 10 which I wouldn't even have investigated in the first place but after Carey Holzman was investigating the y3k bug through the BIOS, he was trying to figure out why someone would return a Gigabyte motherboard to Amazon with a BIOS year of 2091 and apparently Windows won't install if the year is beyond a certain threshold but it sounds like it was more of a 32-bit issue rather than a 64-bit.

On 7/17/2021 at 5:17 PM, Tommy said:

I wasn't aware of that, thank you for the clarification. I think it was on their site that I saw something about them discontinuing the 32-bit version of Windows 10 which I wouldn't even have investigated in the first place but after Carey Holzman was investigating the y3k bug through the BIOS, he was trying to figure out why someone would return a Gigabyte motherboard to Amazon with a BIOS year of 2091 and apparently Windows won't install if the year is beyond a certain threshold but it sounds like it was more of a 32-bit issue rather than a 64-bit.

May be relating to Year 2038 bug: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are roughly 2 weeks until the release of Windows 11. On the day it comes out I will be testing it on my PC to see how it runs for me. Based currently, it just seems like a reskinned version of 10.

PC Health Check says my PC is 100% compatible, so that's nice at least. They added support for the 7th gen CPUs....but only for the Surface product that they are still selling. Classic. But whatever, if Microsoft will screw over your updates because your CPU is "affected by Spectre/Meltdown" when in reality it was only an issue to enterprises because a normal consumer wont notice any performance downsides from the Spectre/Meltdown patches.

I wish 11 was more of a decent upgrade to do like iOS 15 is. I am already on 15 and it runs pretty much the same as 14. Some improvements to notifications that I like too.

One thing I am excited to see though is how it runs compared to 1904x. 1904x has had many issues for me over the period of time it has been out so I am interested in seeing how 11 runs, and possibly use it later on depending on how my experience goes.

33 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

We are roughly 2 weeks until the release of Windows 11. On the day it comes out I will be testing it on my PC to see how it runs for me. Based currently, it just seems like a reskinned version of 10.

I wonder when we will have Windows 12 since ms promised Windows 10 to be last and did not keep promise. I warned MS does not want give away free copies of Windows without having something else on mind and win11 and it artificial requiments were it. But they did not listen since "Microsoft is my best friend and cares from me". Now lot are upset from windows 11 and it release is not hyped that much. Some pulled excuse "who does not upgrade their hardware every day in 2021" to defend ms though. When going from windows 3x to 9x and later from windows 9x and NT/2k mess (mean two different kernels to develop not OS themself) to XP it felt different because there was ACTUAL IMPROVEMENTS not some like new skin, and more spyware. Microsoft threw all effort done to ui research over time to trash in 2012 when Windows 8 came out making it feel more like touch screen and Windows 11 has not fixed it yet.

33 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

PC Health Check says my PC is 100% compatible, so that's nice at least. They added support for the 7th gen CPUs....but only for the Surface product that they are still selling. Classic. But whatever, if Microsoft will screw over your updates because your CPU is "affected by Spectre/Meltdown" when in reality it was only an issue to enterprises because a normal consumer wont notice any performance downsides from the Spectre/Meltdown patches.

Funny that they say 7th gen intel cannot run Windows 7 (it can) or run Windows 11 (it can too), so in 2025 what supported ms os those cpus will have?

35 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

I wish 11 was more of a decent upgrade to do like iOS 15 is. I am already on 15 and it runs pretty much the same as 14. Some improvements to notifications that I like too.

I do not like either because Windows is mess to manage nowadays on enteprise environment and IOS is even worse. Apple keep breaking stuff causing constant redo of Apple MDM and configurations and ms keep adding new usless stuff forcing renew ADMX templaces

10 hours ago, UCyborg said:

That will break compability on image deployment using older VM or virtualbox that can be real issue on enterprise environment. Wonder if patch to bypass is made or if can force updates by manual install?

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 11 has officially been released to eligible Windows 10 systems and new computers today. You can find the MCT on Microsoft's site.

Support lengths go as:
Windows 11, 21H2 Home & Pro: October 10, 2023
Windows 11, 21H2 Enterprise & Edu: October 8, 2024

You can download and install it on any PC right now, but to get it through Windows Update it may take a while and will only let you on compatible hardware. I'll be testing it on an 8250U with Bitlocker to see how the experience on the stable build goes.

This isn't really a beta software anymore, so I don't think it fits this part of MSFN.

On 6/27/2021 at 8:24 PM, ClassicNick said:

If Windows 11 system requirements are going to be what they seem to be right now, I wonder how Microsoft will respond to Windows 10 End Of Service in 2025 when (official prediction) Windows 10 has a 53% market share among Windows computers. In my opinion, the deal breakers for Windows 11 will be the DirectX 12 compatible graphics adapter, Secure Boot, TPM 2.0, and CPU requirements.

For me it will not end in 2025, only 4 years to change from an operating system to a super demanding one in hardware, it is very expensive for some people and especially companies. For me, what happened with Windows 98 or XP will happen, which extended support for a few more years. Or the last one left is to install unofficial updates of LTSB / LTSC / Server 20xx, as happened with embedded versions of Windows XP.

• 2 months later...

So 11 has been out for a few months so I wanted to give an update here.

People have been seen to have been able to get 11 working on systems as old as Athlon 64 3500 era (Which came out in 2004!) so yeah, the hardware requirements are complete BS. Other than that, the OS has been gaining marketshare pretty fast on AdDuplex, which gets its numbers from UWP apps. So, a fast release.

I've tried it on some of my systems over the past few months and I have some information to report. The new UI is, okay, I guess. It's different, definitely different, and loses a lot of features from 10, but hopefully they remain for Win11 22H2 next year. Windows 11 won't be a dire upgrade, but it will be one that is here to stay.

Personally, I don't really like it. But I guess that is because I was with 10 so long, but it really is just 10 with a skin, especially how you can just revert back to the old UI with StartAllBack or ExplorerPatcher.

This is what my laptop looks like on Windows 11, with only explorer patcher and a few registry values.

Screenshot (40).jpg