Windows 11 has officially been announced!

sunryze

Windows 11 has officially been announced!

We'll need a new forum location here. So far, according to their site:

Windows 11 is NOT a required upgrade

image.png.f47e95e81ebed7bf934199235eeaa5b3.png

Windows 11 will require TPM 2.0 & will not offer a 32-bit option anymore

image.thumb.png.034fffa9d838b75dcd13225105c6bbe3.png

Windows 10 will indeed be supported until October 2025

image.png.360e153a275f430c84cd23010c8541ab.png

Windows 11 will be available next year. It introduces a new UI, action center and taskbar. The insider releases will be seen next week.

In my opinion, this release may go a lot easier than 7 to 10 did since they aren't requiring an upgrade.

Actually, the hardware requirements are bogus and completely overrated. Now its Vista all over again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

Edited by Tonny52

No 32-bit support? Microsoft is going full dystopian now.

I guess requiring UEFI means legacy BIOS is going away? Yikes.

And it looks like Windows 11 will *require* a Microsoft account (at least for the (useless IMO) Home edition of Windows) whereas Windows 10 (manipulative and deceptive as it is) does not (currently use local/domain accounts when using the sucky Windows 10).

Windows 11 is so far out of league with anything resembling "normal" that I barely even recognize it as Windows anymore. It looks more like an Apple product than a Microsoft one (and that is NOT a compliment...).

I predict come 2025, Windows 7 will see another resurgence in popularity. Calling it now.

27 minutes ago, InterLinked said:

I guess requiring UEFI means legacy BIOS is going away? Yikes.

And it looks like Windows 11 will *require* a Microsoft account (at least for the (useless IMO) Home edition of Windows) whereas Windows 10 (manipulative and deceptive as it is) does not (currently use local/domain accounts when using the sucky Windows 10).

Windows 11 is so far out of league with anything resembling "normal" that I barely even recognize it as Windows anymore. It looks more like an Apple product than a Microsoft one (and that is NOT a compliment...).

I predict come 2025, Windows 7 will see another resurgence in popularity. Calling it now.

32 bit support is something everyone else has done. Linux apps, macOS chipset & apps, Microsoft was the last one. If you have a PC thats still 32-bit Microsoft wants you to either upgrade or keep Win10. Likely that PC is from 2010 or older.

Legacy is still here, I have installed it on MBR Legacy (at least the leaked one) and it worked fine

It will require a internet connection & MSFT account for the Home version. Pro and others don't require it

It does look very different, but it kinda looks like an updated version of 7 / Vista with some differences. The widgets window though is just a pathetic excuse. They aren't even widgets, its just News and Interests on the side of your screen.

I'm not saying this is the best version of Windows. I'm saying its an improvement from 10.

Edited by Tonny52

31 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

I'm not saying this is the best version of Windows. I'm saying its an improvement from 10

Anything is a improovement from 10...  y'all ever hear of debian Buster?  :unsure:

Now we just wait until next week for the first previews, then we can go more in-depth with it and see how it runs.

So far the biggest problem I can see is the compatibility problems.

2 hours ago, InterLinked said:

Nothing shocking about that. The last Windows Server that was available in 32 bit was 2008 SP2. In the last six years I’ve never once encountered a Windows 10 32-bit system, or for that matter a Windows 8.1 32-bit system. Is there really still demand for that?

If the system needs more than 4 GB of RAM, new processor instructions and a new motherboard with UEFI and a Treacherous Module, 64-bit makes the most sense. For compact installations or legacy hardware the newest OS is never the best choice.

On 6/24/2021 at 6:45 PM, Tonny52 said:

32 bit support is something everyone else has done. Linux apps, macOS chipset & apps, Microsoft was the last one. If you have a PC thats still 32-bit Microsoft wants you to either upgrade or keep Win10. Likely that PC is from 2010 or older.

Legacy is still here, I have installed it on MBR Legacy (at least the leaked one) and it worked fine

Since they've specified UEFI and TPM 2.0 as minimum, final build is likely to reflect that.

It's possible for 32-bit code to be faster on lower-end 64-bit CPUs. 64-bit instructions are bigger so less will fit in caches. I still mostly lean towards 32-bit flavors of programs (which the new Win11 should support) while using 64-bit OS for compatibility with 64-bit only stuff and because it's the cleanest way to address all available RAM.

I haven't dug deep into performance difference between 32-bit and 64-bit code, it seems to depend on the task at hand. The only thing that hasn't slipped from my memory, years ago I was setting up DarkPlaces engine to play Quake with updated graphics and some other modifications. 32-bit version of the engine ran at a tiny bit higher FPS while the 64-bit version loaded maps a little faster (think 1 FPS faster while already above 100 FPS / 1 second faster loading time).

I think games aren't the most interesting when it comes to speed coming from bitness, but modern ones love to load crapload of assets into RAM. Other programs doing something like encoding, compressing etc. might be more interesting in that regard. It's also possible to have significantly higher memory usage with 64-bit version of the program than actually needed, some of you might have read about Chromium devs implementing pointer compression in their code to reduce it.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:19 PM, dencorso said:

Anything is a improovement from 10...  y'all ever hear of debian Buster?  :unsure:

Have you heard of many problems inherent with Linux?

Edited by UCyborg

2 hours ago, dencorso said:

49 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

With linux 64, one can run XPSP3 or even 7SP1 x64 inside Oracle VirtualBox and benefit from both OSes, regardless of evolving hardware and disappearing hardware support. Moreover, even Skynet or the Matrix have many inherent probs, so what? :unsure:

Lots of absolute hell in the changelog.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications

A lot of it i never used, but some in there really p**s me off.

• Alignment to the bottom of the screen is the only location allowed
  • Apps can no longer customize areas of the taskbar
  • News and Interests has evolved

Basically this means goodbye to taskbar on any other side of the screen (SOMETHING THAT HAS EXISTED SINCE 95) and possibly taskbar customization like Open Shell, StartIsBack and 7+ Taskbar Tweaker if we cannot customize the taskbar anymore with 3rd party apps. As well as that, News and Interests was ruined in just a month. It was somewhat decent on the taskbar but now you need a touchscreen to get somewhere to it, unless you keep Widgets.

PLUS, the taskbar now default center is going to cause so many headaches with friends and family. It really should default to the left because the majority of Windows users prefer it that way and have used it that way for 24 years. Centered taskbar is a very, very, very isolated feature that I believe should be something you set, not something that IS set. 

30 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Centered taskbar!?  YUCK!  That's got APPLE written all over it!

Exactly. This seems like some sort of move to try and win back the XP and 7 users.

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Centered taskbar!?  YUCK!  That's got APPLE written all over it!

The option to have it at the side is also available(like 7 8.x and 10)

Now we have two things I absolutely hate. I am not upgrading to Sh**dows 11.

• Requirement of TPM 1.2 (which basically kills most computers older than 2014)

And now I present....

Microsoft misleading users!!!

Microsoft made a list of "supported" CPUs for Windows 11 when in reality they aren't the full supported list. They are misleading people into upgrading their PC because its "unsupported" even though its only from 5 years ago for more sales and in turn more product keys purchased. That is how they are gonna make money from this. There is no reason why Windows 11 wouldn't even run on a Core 2 Duo.

Edited by Tonny52