Beginning of the end?

Jaguarek62

Since both AMD and Nvidia will stop supporting 7 and thus 8 and 8.1 is this the point, where we start calling even windows 8.1 "Legacy" Operating system? Will we be able to mod the driver ourselves? Windows 10 Monopoly is very scary

We are reaching point where monopoly I have been warning long time starts happen. When Windows 98 came out ms paid vendors to make many usb devices only run on win98 offically since windows 98 had Internet exploiter forced in. I was able force many windows 98 exclusive usb devices run under Windows 95 with little or no tweaking and usb was not so big deal. Many pda devices (ibm workpads as good example) and phones (example nokia 9000 communicator) had serial port, so did cameras and printers until 2002 or so. Plus there NT4 as other option that still was very good to workstation use.

Atleast gpu and mainboard supported Win95 until nivdia fx 5xxx. On that point there was luckily 98lite that allowed run win95 shell on windows 98 and remove ie plus there was Windows XP and Windows 2000 which even I hate IE intergration are pretty solid and mature operating systems and run xp as daily drive.

There has always been two or three options to windows that been offically supported. Not talking about ability to buy it from ms since many retailers had unsold copies and internet had unused copies sold too to get it.

When Windows 8 came out I knew things were going to be bad. It was impossible trying power use it on my works. Touchscreen UI got no place on desktop. Knew would be some point left with only Windows 8 as offically supported.

Then Windows 10 came which was utter piece of junk and worse than Windows 98 FE with ie4. I only got Windows 10 at work laptop since all domain systems must run it and whatever ms software. On home windows 10 is banned permanently, I would rather go fully linux than win10. My issue is with win10 is constant updates, messy ui (two intergrated browsers, two control panels etc).

Now Windows 11 is rolling out and seems we are slowly going Windows RT line of locked down computing devices in name of security. Actually peoples who know exploit can damage locked down system while user who is accepting fact it is locked down cannot stop it.

There is no more good options on Windows. I warned long time what ms will eventually do but nobody listened since "microsoft is my friend and they care from me". We need hope community will stay strong. Do not give up using OS you like just because you are told to. Fighting back is worth it even if hard sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, HarryTri said:

Don't forget that there is always the option of using a virtual machine for Windows 8 or any other legacy OS.

Won't be bothered to fire up a Virutal Machine just to use an operating system. Ima do it on real hardware :D

On 6/23/2021 at 2:32 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

we start calling even windows 8.1 "Legacy" Operating system?

Also everything works fine on 8.1 so there is no need to upgrade (for me). So its not considered as "legacy" os by me

On 6/23/2021 at 1:32 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

Since both AMD and Nvidia will stop supporting 7 and thus 8 and 8.1

I don't know about AMD, but Nvidia's change doesn't really change much, especially if you're running a card that isn't the newest - for example a 960, 970 or hell, even a 1070 definitely run better performance-wise on older drivers than the current ones. Sadly artificial aging of hardware is a thing and Nvidia seems to have fully jumped aboard that train.

• 1 year later...

I've used windows 8.1 before on my main computer and it runs really slow on a fresh install every single time and updates take forever to do so I plan to stick with windows 10 (ltsc) until ar least 2029 then after that probably linux (or a newer ltsc release)

2 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I've used windows 8.1 before on my main computer and it runs really slow on a fresh install every single time and updates take forever to do so I plan to stick with windows 10 (ltsc) until ar least 2029 then after that probably linux (or a newer ltsc release)

For me, 8.1 is similarly fast to 7, but slower than 8.0.

3 hours ago, legacyfan said:

Maybe consider upgrading your hw? Runs like a dream on machines with SSD drives.

48 minutes ago, Teeotsa said:

Maybe consider upgrading your hw? Runs like a dream on machines with SSD drives.

I even have an 1030 and it still lags with max settings (any other windows version works fine)

3 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

I even have an 1030 and it still lags with max settings (any other windows version works fine)

Uh? You talkin about gaming performance? Of course it lags on maximum settings, you're using GT 1030. Can't really run anything, maybe CSGO 90FPS?