Dell Dimension 5150 won't boot 64-bit OSes

GD 2W10

Hi,

I own a Dell Dimension 5150 with an Intel Pentium D processor and I want to install Windows 10 x64 on there. I am able to get Windows 10 x86 on there, and I would be fine with that, but I am trying to install Windows 11 on there which is only in x64. Whenever I try to boot setup, it hangs there for maybe 5-10 minutes then it crashes and reboots with no error code or message. I've read that this is due to the lack of RAM, and that I need to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM. I currently have 3 GB of RAM in there (2 512MB sticks and 2 1GB sticks). I am open to doing anything.

Edited by GD 2W10

That model originally came with a Pentium 4, so we can presume it is legacy only. But since it seems to have come with a P4 and not a Pentium D, you are going to have to post the processor number so that you can look it up on Ark.

My first inclination is that you have a 32bit CPU and not a 64bit CPU, which would be why you cannot install boot a 64bit OS. Alternatively, some BIOSes/firmware have the ability to restrict boot application bitness.

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

That model originally came with a Pentium 4, so we can presume it is legacy only. But since it seems to have come with a P4 and not a Pentium D, you are going to have to post the processor number so that you can look it up on Ark.

My first inclination is that you have a 32bit CPU and not a 64bit CPU, which would be why you cannot install boot a 64bit OS. Alternatively, some BIOSes/firmware have the ability to restrict boot application bitness.

I went in the BIOS and can confirm that it is a Pentium D processor and has 64-bit support and I will put a picture of the info below. I wasn't able to find my processor on Ark but this is my processor ID: 0F47.

PROCESSOR info pentinum d.bmp

This particular 0F47 seems to be a Pentium D 805:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27511/intel-pentium-d-processor-805-2m-cache-2-66-ghz-533-mhz-fsb.html

Does seem valid for the architecture. Would really like to know what error is shown in the crash. In order to see this, you'll need to boot the system and use F8 menu to choose Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure, to see if it is doing a bugcheck. It won't reboot when it crashes and you can see teh error.

What build/version of Windows 10 is it?

On 6/25/2021 at 9:30 AM, Tripredacus said:

Here is the CPU list for 20H2. Unless they are using some different type of naming, it would seem your CPU isn't listed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-10-20h2-supported-intel-processors

I was able to install 7 x64, but I also read that only 7 and 8 x64 are supported. But I will try the RAM upgrade from 3 GB to 4 GB and see if I can install 8.1 or 10 x64.

Just now, GD 2W10 said:

I was able to install 7 x64, but I also read that only 7 and 8 x64 are supported. But I will try the RAM upgrade from 3 GB to 4 GB and see if I can install 8.1 or 10 x64.

Is that machine so d@mn fast that you really *need* to slow it down? :dubbio:

jaclaz

On 6/24/2021 at 10:41 AM, Tripredacus said:

This particular 0F47 seems to be a Pentium D 805:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27511/intel-pentium-d-processor-805-2m-cache-2-66-ghz-533-mhz-fsb.html

Does seem valid for the architecture. Would really like to know what error is shown in the crash. In order to see this, you'll need to boot the system and use F8 menu to choose Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure, to see if it is doing a bugcheck. It won't reboot when it crashes and you can see teh error.

What build/version of Windows 10 is it?

I tried that method but it just restarted. Also tried boot logging but it didn’t work and I booted into 7 and couldn’t find the boot log. Should I upgrade the processor? That same article I read, which I will link, has someone running 8.1 x64 on this Dell (or maybe the E510, idk).

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Dell-Dimension-5150-will-not-install-a-64bit-OS/td-p/5181651

On 6/25/2021 at 10:58 AM, GD 2W10 said:

I know it's not supported, but could it technically be possible?

Anything is possible! :)

But if it is indeed a situation where the OS is seeing what CPU you have and rejecting it, then you (or someone else) would need to figure out how to stop that from happening. People have done some amazing things in computing, but so far I am not aware of anyone modifying the OS to do that.

• 3 months later...
On 6/28/2021 at 9:12 AM, Tripredacus said:

Anything is possible! :)

But if it is indeed a situation where the OS is seeing what CPU you have and rejecting it, then you (or someone else) would need to figure out how to stop that from happening. People have done some amazing things in computing, but so far I am not aware of anyone modifying the OS to do that.

The reason why the CPU is being rejected is because the CPU doesn't have PrefetchW. Is there a utility to bypass this like there is to bypass PAE with Windows 8?