Is it possible to install Windows 1.01 without a floppy drive?

GD 2W10

Hi,

As I stated in the title, is it possible to install Windows 1.01 without a floppy disk? I am planning to install it on a modern machine (Dell Inspiron 15R-5537). I have tried combining all the floppies into one ISO, but that didn’t work and it still asked for the next disk. 

Oh dear, this will be no fun at all to install a floppy based vintage Windows directly on the hard disk of a modern computer. You better get an old computer from the old times for that. Expensive however...

But maybe your goals are different. What are you trying to achieve? Just for the curiosity about how the first Windows looked like? Maybe virtual machines (VMs) are your rescue. Dosbox? VirtualBox?

I doubt that this way of putting all the floppy disks into one ISO works. VMs usually have an option to "eject" floppy disks while the system is runnnig. With that, you could insert them one by one.

Use 86Box or PCem for having fun with such old Windows versions.
Both programs can emulate period-correct real hardware that Windows 1.01 will be happy to work with. This will make for a much better and fun experience than just forcing it to run on a real hardware.
Also look here for some fun you can have with Windows 1: http://toastytech.com/guis/win1x2x.html

Edited by MrMateczko

12 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Oh dear, this will be no fun at all to install a floppy based vintage Windows directly on the hard disk of a modern computer. You better get an old computer from the old times for that. Expensive however...

But maybe your goals are different. What are you trying to achieve? Just for the curiosity about how the first Windows looked like? Maybe virtual machines (VMs) are your rescue. Dosbox? VirtualBox?

I doubt that this way of putting all the floppy disks into one ISO works. VMs usually have an option to "eject" floppy disks while the system is runnnig. With that, you could insert them one by one.

I'm trying to upgrade Windows 1.01 to 10. But I know it is possible to install Windows 1.01 on modern hardware as someone did that.

(122) Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware - YouTube

I would also suggest that getting Win 1.01 thru Win 10 "to work" visually on YouTube is not the same thing as getting every one of those versions to truly work.

Does he have audio?  Does he only have 800 x 600 resolution?  PS/2 mouse only?  Printer support?  Network / Wi-Fi?  Internet access?

But still an amazing feat notwithstanding.

On 6/15/2021 at 3:47 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

I tried a few Commodore 64 emulators a few years back and one of them didn't even adjust clock speed and everything was emulated at "lightning speed" - FAR from realistic.

Take a look here: https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Commodore_64_emulators

As for the issue in topic, try putting all files from all disks to one giant folder and install from that folder using DOS...unless that's what you tried already. I know this trick works for Windows 3.1, not sure at all about older versions. You can also try different Windows 1 versions from WinWorld for example, maybe they behave differently. (like 1.04)

I don't have any meaningful experience with Windows prior to 3.1, as there's no practical reason to use anything older than 3.1...unless someone really wants to stick to the 8088 :)

On 6/21/2021 at 12:13 PM, MrMateczko said:

Take a look here: https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Commodore_64_emulators

As for the issue in topic, try putting all files from all disks to one giant folder and install from that folder using DOS...unless that's what you tried already. I know this trick works for Windows 3.1, not sure at all about older versions. You can also try different Windows 1 versions from WinWorld for example, maybe they behave differently. (like 1.04)

I don't have any meaningful experience with Windows prior to 3.1, as there's no practical reason to use anything older than 3.1...unless someone really wants to stick to the 8088 :)

It works for 2.03 and 3.0 but not 1.01.

The instructions over at WinWorld say that using SUBST should work.

Did you try this?

Copy each floppy to a separate folder, then SUBSTitute them for the A: drive as required.

You may need to disable the real floppy drive first to free the A: drive letter.

Also, you may need some kind of task switching in order to change folders during the install.

Edited by RainyShadow

21 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Did you try this?

Copy each floppy to a separate folder, then SUBSTitute them for the A: drive as required.

You may need to disable the real floppy drive first to free the A: drive letter.

Also, you may need some kind of task switching in order to change folders during the install.

I did not. I will try it later and post results when I try it, also how do you task switch?

Edited by GD 2W10

On 6/22/2021 at 2:33 PM, RainyShadow said:

Did you try this?

This worked. Thank you.