Sign a petition to bring the old Youtube Layout BACK

WinFX

In mid-2020, Google removed the Classic Layout from YouTube forcing us to use a bloated polymer-based layout.

If you have a gamer pc with linux installed and Chrome you will not have a major problem. But the new YouTube layout made with polymer consumes a lot of resources, it is very slow and bloated if you do not use a browser based on Chrome, not to mention on an old PC.

We do not intend it to be the default view, but for performance and compatibility reasons, include it again as an option, since in Firefox it is very slow and contains many errors such as BUGS.

Sign Here: http://chng.it/p5XwBxJrQL

You can try making MS bring back support for Windows 98 or XP with the same success rate.

Google does what is good for them, not for us. Forcing you to use their browser (and upgrade the hardware if needed) is good for them.

Same with any other major company.

This is a waste of time. Google must be seen as a modern company. Bigger and flatter software serves that goal. The polymer is getting slower every month. It's not even HTML, but a monolithic blob of script, where parts of it cannot be blocked for speed.

It wouldn't have to be the exact old layout. But anything lighter. At one point they had a basic interface called "Feather" that loaded instantly, but lacked most basic functions such as commenting.

I personally myself just only use "m.youtube.com" now since those damn firefox add-ons no longer work anymore.

I dont really remember how i got here but, i think the first time i went to mobile there was a link that would let me switch to this "m/mobile" site. and now it's always permenate with firefox. It's not the "greatest" solution. but it sure is a hell of a lot faster than the plain regular stupid youtube.

There are a few in-convieneces with it though which kind of sucks, but not too bad. Like i cant ever click "read more" on comments in videos, cause it always opens a small box with a bunch of options "reply, like, comment" - so it's impossible to view more than literally 5 or 6 words. So then i just take a few seconds to copy-paste a video link here:

https://commentviewer.com/

that lets me view all the full comments automatically at the very least. And when searching for videos, i cant sort them by "most recent videos" - i dont like the "uploaded today/yesterday/this week" cause that's NOT what i want. :( Also i cant ever seem to "right click" on anything whatsoever no matter where on the site, to get a standard firefox popup like to open things in a new tab. it'll always automatically load whatever that page is.

But other than that, it's pretty fine. pages load instantly, doesnt slow down firefox or anything bad.

Edited by kuja killer

20 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

This has been mentioned here before - https://github.com/iv-org/invidious/

Select a working instance and replace the youtube.com domain with it.

You can use an add-on or a GM script to do this automatically.

Installing invidious always-dash script unlocks certain videos that refuse to load otherwise and extends a quality selector so videos may be viewed in higher resolution up to 1080p (+ 60 FPS, if applicable). The script has to be modified by adding matching URLs of Invidious instance(s) one intends to use. The script is needed only when viewing the site without being logged in, logged in users have a quality setting they can change.

Though compression artifacts might still be noticeable since there doesn't seem to be a way to select a codec, so everything is streamed using H.264 (relevant issue on GitHub).

Edited by UCyborg

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

extends a quality selector so videos may be viewed in higher resolution up to 1080p (+ 60 FPS, if applicable)

If i ever play videos in a browser, i stick to 240p or 360p, and even those are lagging a lot. I even disabled webm so i could get only H.264.

Anything higher goes to MPC-HC or MPC-BE to be played through the 3DYD Youtube Source filter.

I've started downloading videos using YouTube-DL, and watch them in Media Player Classic with nVidia PV acceleration at 1920 px and 60fps for free. SMPlayer has finally abandoned his downloader, and on-the-fly streaming no longer works for me. Even low resolution videos stutter all the time, because of the CPU load from drawing the page. It's much much better on a G2030 system in the same Pale Moon, but on Conroe-L is unusable.

YouTube might stop offering H.264 soon because perceived progress trumps the installed base of decoders, and we're not supposed to use them outside of the browser at all.

Edited by j7n

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 9:54 PM, j7n said:

YouTube might stop offering H.264 soon because perceived progress trumps the installed base of decoders, and we're not supposed to use them outside of the browser at all.

If you read their terms of service, using alternative web front-ends to access content on YouTube is also forbidden.

They also started removing comments for no good reason.

I have experienced all my comments being immediately deleted for about a month, after I wasted time writing them. Before that replies were much delayed, as if they were in a spam box. But I thought it was because an army of fans reported me for coronavirus comments or something. I wrote an angry message to the feedback that was also critical of some interface conventions. Now I genuinely feel better! I tried multiple accounts, but didn't think of changing the browser. My agent version is Firefox from the future with some slogans appended.

I don't like the non-transparent mechanism of moderation on that site. Somehow traditional forums were able to handle the workload of semi-manual review.

On my new installation of Windows, SMPlayer is somehow able to pick up YouTube-DL. Although every once in a while the speed gets stuck at inadequate 70 KB/s.

Petitions like that wont do a thing. Google will bloat everything. They have so far killed wap version of their search (redirects to bloated new site with ridiciously big icons for old handheld), wap/mobile version of youtube site that allowed stream 3gp files to selected media player (allowed use old handheld to listen music or watch videos off youtube, then killed flash 7 compatible site and messed page layout making use of youtube with ff2 impossible. Then they killed rest of flash support and blocked multiple browsers from working with new HTML5 player that worked fine with old one. And site only works properly on Chrome...feels like 1998 and IE again...

Best soluction is stop using youtube. I use Pipe-viewer (linux only) to watch videos from youtube. If need download when on XP I use invidious to search video and youtube-dlg with xp compatible FFMPEG library  to download. One bundled with youtube-dlg wont work with Windows XP resulting conversion to mp3 or other format fail

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

39 minutes ago, j7n said:

I have experienced all my comments being immediately deleted for about a month, after I wasted time writing them. Before that replies were much delayed, as if they were in a spam box.

I  was sent automatically to spam box on one console repair related video for sectence "some of problems are related to ANA/HANA (Xbox 360 video encoder chip) not gpu itself" likely since bot though it was mistype of one word:blink:. I hate auto filtering for that reason. Also seems some other words are autofiltered even if they are not insulting or mean anything bad

• 3 weeks later...

Some people think the ban is on specific keywords, others think it is on the amount of text, and others still think that it is caused by not watching the video (downloading it externally). Tomorrow the rules might be different, and trying to comply with them is a waste of time. Apparently this has been happening for a year or so; there are Reddit posts and videos on the site itself. If YouTube wanted posts to be more concise, they could have reinstated a limit on symbol count. Recently a couple short comments I made went through.

In a sense, interaction with YouTube feels "human", which I do not appreciate on a computer. "It" senses certain characteristics of me, forms an opinion, but does not say everything he thinks, avoids or rejects me, and leaves me guessing.

Do anyone of you have a channel where I can post and know where the comments end up, spam box, or nowhere at all?

• 6 months later...

Regarding Invidious, I see now why it appears so broken for so many videos. I don't know why non-DASH streaming breaks, but when DASH is enabled, it insists on using AV1 codec when available. If the browser says it doesn't support AV1 or a script is run that makes the browser pretend to not support the codec, then Invidious just says "Playback cannot continue. No available working or supported playlists." It doesn't even try to fallback to any other codec like normal YouTube does.

Edited by UCyborg